• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "cheap foreign currency"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?
    A 2% discount on the exchange rate and a fixed fee of 2 pounds, which if you take 200 quid (which is the maximum I seem to be allowed) is another 1% for a 3% total.

By using my Nationwide account I don't get the 2 pound fee.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

And what do you get when you use your ATM card then?

'Tulips' is a reference to the mods recent swear word filter.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).

I'm not sure what Tulips are as an insult, but I suggest that you look at the bid-offer spread at a bureau. 10% is the norm, 15% not uncommon.

tim

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by poser View Post
    thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?
    There are a couple of English pubs in Zurich if you want to meet some English nannies. If you want to eat somewhere relaxed I like Globus on Belview down by the lake. The buzz area before I left was Hardbruck lots of bars etc.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I stand corrected if thats the case.
    Always HTH

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?
    I stand corrected if thats the case.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.
    No one pays commission anymore you just get a noddy rate. This is the same rate your bank will give you when you withdraw at the ATM machine PLUS a handling charge!

I believe that natwest have an account that doesn't sting you for a handling charge but you still get the same carp rate.

The rates you get from the highstreet banks are dismay to say the least.

Edit: Plus, who returns Euros? You know you'll use them again so why bother?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I work on the mainland and have not found anything cheaper than buying a couple of hundred quids worth of Euros in M&S whilst doing the the weekly shop.

I would love to know a cheaper way though!

Leave a comment:

• poser
    replied
    thanks for the money advice people, now what is recommended to do in Zurich?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Eh, That's just plain tulips! You will get your banks exchange rate of the day plus a handling charge.

Surely it's cheaper to buy the currency beforehand after shopping around for rates (which is what the OP is asking).
    Actually I agree with Tim. I think if you limit the number of withdrawals i.e. make them for large sums it works out significantly cheaper than paying commossion twice i.e. once before departure and a second time upon return.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I agree M&S are good...

Usually just use my bank card though - it works out best for me!

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    There is no cheap way to change folding money in developed countries.

Use your bank card in an ATM, it is *always* cheaper than a bureau(assuming you take more than 20 quid).

tim

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I usually pay with gold bars - works like a charm with the Swiss.

threaded.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Have a comb through the t's and c's of your bank accounts and see if you've got a special offer you didn't know about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X