• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Top of the class in England - but Polish boy goes home for better education"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    I will tell from my experience of being in UK's Uni - ex Poly as I discovered later that added some bad aftertaste, though I have to say that I don't think it is impossible to learn good stuff there and teachers were pretty good. The problem I had was students - way too many were foreign and that disappointed me, if you are studying in the UK it is reasonable to expect vast majority of students will be British, what's good it is to have team work in a team of 4-5 where not a single person is local? I blame the Govt - they give tullip money for local students and Unis have to make their money on foreign students, so they take way too many - effectively they created niche "education" that is primarily aimed at foreigners many of who can't speak English well yet they would leave the place with a BA (Hons) degree.]

The Govt should stop media degree studies and give free education to those who want to learn stuff like maths, physics, chemistry - most of them won't get jobs in the UK as it seems all real life work is moved elsewhere, but at least you will have some people who know this stuff even if they work in other countries (USA most likely).

Naturally with the Govt more interested in Millenium Dome, gambling and other things education comes not very high on their list of priorities.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Its not actually your fault you are all thick, its the systems fault.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    In the same way we mock Americans for being thick as pig$hit, so the world mocks us for being like the Americans.

I suppose in a country with large differences in wealth, it's a prudent measure to keep the little people where they belong by making education worthless.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    Was DCJ a Geordie?
    Good point. He was from Grimsby, wasn't he?

Grimsby people probably claim they are geordies though.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Sounds like he didn't like it like, the dirty soovern poof

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Was DCJ a Geordie?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Did you ever do a contract in China?
    Yes. And how many birds have you shagged recently?
    You better watch what your mum gets up to at home though....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    "But in Newcastle no one cared about globalisation, the greenhouse effect, the EU, war or politics."
    He is SallyAnne and I claim my free Wispa bar.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by richy_rich View Post
    Here man - we is Geordies and we just love to party...

I went to school in Newcastle and it did me no harm - I can usually answer at least 1 question on University Challenged

Ho hum - look in me now in the gutter with my £120k per year contracting lifestyleeee

Bye bye Aleksander - can't say you will be missed.

RR.
    Did you ever do a contract in China?

Leave a comment:

• richy_rich
    replied
    Here man - we is Geordies and we just love to party...

I went to school in Newcastle and it did me no harm - I can usually answer at least 1 question on University Challenged

Ho hum - look in me now in the gutter with my £120k per year contracting lifestyleeee

Bye bye Aleksander - can't say you will be missed.

RR.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    This story was so touching it almost made me cry. I can see a movie being made out of this boy's struggles and efforts as he fights against the failing machine of British education.

When my kids begin education, I'm hoping to be able to live abroad for several years to give them a headstart in education. I have several countries in mind but frankly I believe any developed country and numerous 3rd world (emerging) countries could beat our educational 'system' hands down.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    It's sad really. The latest plan is to stop teaching history as people and events, but as "themes".

F***wittedness doesn't begin to describe it...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Not surprising really. Dum everything down and eventually even the students will start to realise it's all a con.

Ah the irony....

Leave a comment:

• Keldin
    replied
    Sounds about right. The English education system is appalling.

K

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Not surprising really. Dum everything down and eventually even the students will start to realise it's all a con.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X