• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Slimfast!!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Slimfast!!"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
    Fat % is an interesting one. I worked with a bloke who prided himself on the fact that he weighed the same at 40 as he had done at 18 and kept going on about it ... so Mr WA went to gym with him one day and got him onto the fat monitor scales in and he came in at 37% fat which is quite scary - to look at him he just looked thin but out of condition - saggy and a bit lose at the seams. So, convinced we were wrong, he trooped off to the Doctor's who told him that he was a lardy git and needed to get it sorted, even though his BMI was well under obese limits. He was a small framed bloke carrying a good deal of fat which didn't look too bad overall but was actually a danger to his health.

We have fat monitor scales at home, I chuffin' hate 'em.
    My BMI is 26 (marginally overweight), however, my body fat content is 15.9% Fairly good but not athlete standard, those guys are under 10% body fat!

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    I brouht a wedding dress 2 sizes smaller in the hope I would get into it on the big day - in the end gave up, had the dress let out - and its fantastic what you can do with digital photography!!

Got married, lost 2 stone, had baby, put on 3 stone - still married and happy
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Surely?
    You can't assume that!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
    I brouht a wedding dress 2 sizes smaller in the hope I would get into it on the big day - in the end gave up, had the dress let out - and its fantastic what you can do with digital photography!!

Got married, lost 2 stone, had baby, put on 3 stone - still married and happy and fat.
    Surely?

Leave a comment:

• zara_backdog
    replied

Got married, lost 2 stone, had baby, put on 3 stone - still married and happy

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Muscle is more dense than fat. You will find that if you compare 1lb of muscle adn 1lb of fat the fat will have a greater mass.
    Greater volume.

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    Fat % is an interesting one. I worked with a bloke who prided himself on the fact that he weighed the same at 40 as he had done at 18 and kept going on about it ... so Mr WA went to gym with him one day and got him onto the fat monitor scales in and he came in at 37% fat which is quite scary - to look at him he just looked thin but out of condition - saggy and a bit lose at the seams. So, convinced we were wrong, he trooped off to the Doctor's who told him that he was a lardy git and needed to get it sorted, even though his BMI was well under obese limits. He was a small framed bloke carrying a good deal of fat which didn't look too bad overall but was actually a danger to his health.

We have fat monitor scales at home, I chuffin' hate 'em.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Or just look in the mirror. Do you look like a chubby faced blobster or lean and chiselled.

I know what my money would be on.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    OK all you big BMIers check out your bioelectrical impedance, there is no way that can be subjective.

Then you will find out if the high BMI is from packed muscle and bone density or Jelly Belly syndrome
    Or just look in the mirror. Do you look like a chubby faced blobster or lean and chiselled.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    OK all you big BMIers check out your bioelectrical impedance, there is no way that can be subjective.

Then you will find out if the high BMI is from packed muscle and bone density or Jelly Belly syndrome

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    BMI Doesn't take into account muscle mass and bone density. Some people naturally have greater bone density and build muscle with little effort.
    That must explain my score of 31 then !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    They also have a very very low %body fat,but most would fall well within normal range for BMI, except those doing heavy weights, even somone really built like John Regis was no more than 14 stones as an athelete, and he was built like a brick*** and a 6 footer

Have a look at a sliding scale for BMI, the weight range to be within 25 is quiet large. For example a 5ft 11 man has a 3 stone range before they are even overweight.

It sounds like you are looking for excuses for letting yourself go and when you started talking about big bones!
    Actually I said bone density which doesn't imply big bones, just that some people have higher bone density than others. If you don't belive me go and google for examples of differing bone density. For example most martial arts teach you ways of toughening your skin and bones so that you can do fancy things like punching through bricks and bits of wood. This works by constantly punching solid objects and compacting the b
    one in your hands/feet/etc. As the bone compacts the structure of the bone becomes more like stone than bone and this is how high level martial artists can perform these seemingly impossible feats of power (technique also plays a huge part, as well so don't think it is just compacted bone).

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    BMI Doesn't take into account muscle mass and bone density. Some people naturally have greater bone density and build muscle with little effort.

An extremem example would be the majority of professional athletes. Almost all of them have highly inflated BMI's due to the fact that thier training increases thier muscle mass and bone density to something way in excess of the average person.

BMI is a measure of averageness and we are not all average.
    They also have a very very low %body fat,but most would fall well within normal range for BMI, except those doing heavy weights, even somone really built like John Regis was no more than 14 stones as an athelete, and he was built like a brick*** and a 6 footer

Have a look at a sliding scale for BMI, the weight range to be within 25 is quiet large. For example a 5ft 11 man has a 3 stone range before they are even overweight.

It sounds like you are looking for excuses for letting yourself go and when you started talking about big bones!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You're absolutely correct, some of us are far superior!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    How can you be very thin and obsese on the BMI? it isn't possible.

An extremem example would be the majority of professional athletes. Almost all of them have highly inflated BMI's due to the fact that thier training increases thier muscle mass and bone density to something way in excess of the average person.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    How can you be very thin and obsese on the BMI? it isn't possible.
    If you're talking to me Mr No Quote, I didn't say thin, I said slim. Slim is way curvier than thin.

They're like a size 14, which to me (and most I reckon) is a lovely slim figure. But on most weight charts, their weight is in the obese category.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X