• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Work PC 'upgrade'

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Work PC 'upgrade'"

Collapse

• Hevra
    replied
    I'm a permie, I've tried the 'I'd get more work done if I didn't have to sit here listening to the grinding of the HD labouring to cope with having a spreadsheet, word document and the crap timesheet entry system all open at the same time' line...

Didn't work though

Hevra

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    What they don't realise, of course, is that contractors actually use their computers to do 'work'.
    What planet are you on? By work, do you mean as opposed to this forum then?

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Contractors are often given the rubbish computer that no one else wants.

They think getting a 'good' computer should be a perk for management and senior permies. What they don't realise, of course, is that contractors actually use their computers to do 'work', and it would be a good idea to give them the fastest machine in the office.

Leave a comment:

• Hevra
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What?

You get little clay dinosaurs changing the pixels one by one?
    Only when I've put the 'special' sugar in my tea...

Hevra

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What?

You get little clay dinosaurs changing the pixels one by one?

A nice surreal image.

Leave a comment:

• Hevra
    replied
    I wish they'd upgrade my work computer, my home pc's graphics card has more memory than this heap of crap...

There's more than a touch of Harryhausen about the way this thing swaps from one window to another...

Hevra

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    TheFuQQer
    You are Royal Albert and I claim my five pounds, to be paid off-shore so that I can hide it from my blackmailing wife and turf my kid onto the street.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    guys guys get a Mac and all your problems will be over
    I'm working on it. Waiting till the new version of the OS is released. In the meantime trying to persuade the Co. Sec. that the Co. can afford it

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    AtW
    TheFuQQer

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    ATW loves Bill Gates. Sends him Valentine cards, choccies, the lot.
    AtW

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    guys guys get a Mac and all your problems will be over

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.
    ATW loves Bill Gates. Sends him Valentine cards, choccies, the lot.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    I've never used Vista. They did keep XP installed, so I'll consider myself lucky. Oh and they didn't revoke my internet access so that's another plus.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?
    In AtW's defence I don't think he was saying that, was he? Just observing that MS produce crap from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    People who knock Microsoft for crappy version of OS probably forgot that they have it from time to time - MS DOS 4.0, Windows ME, now Vista - they always go through some crappy dead branch, just like Intel does and probably any other company that existed more than few years.
    Doesnt stop it being crap though. Does this mean we should stop pointing out bad products just beacause the co. responcible has made a couple of good ones in the past?

Fireman : I'm sorry madam, you house burnt down when your new Phillips steam iron shorted out and caught fire.

Mrs Thring : Oh thats terrible, still, never mind, I had one of their televisions a few years ago, it was very good!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X