• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Central Heating Cover"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not sure about sticking my hand up corgis, bit tight. Anyway, it's probably a royal prerogative.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    My mate used to fix his gas bills; he reversed the meter every now & again...

He wasn't corgie registered either.
    A Top Tip from Viz was to sit on your gas cooker and fart down one of the burners. It makes the gas meter rewind, appararently, and saves a fortune.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Oh! insurance cover! I was just about to suggest an aluminium tray from a Tesco instant lasagne.

Bleeding ell, anyone who can't fix central heating themselves has a screw loose. We have oil fired hot air heating and you have to stick your hand into this little hole and feel about to clean it. Like being a vet and sticking your hand in a cow's arse but with sharper edges and sootier. Not nearly so much fun either. I'd like to have been a vet.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Didn't British Gas do a one off fix your boiler for circa £150?

Other than that, if something goes wrong it can only be the circuit board or the pump. Seems very expensive to pay £300 pa when a new boiler isn't much more than that
    The last thing to go on my boiler was the heat exchanger - water leaking everywhere but quite easy to replace - if i remember correctly it cost £200 for the part and about an hour to fit.
    Pumps are £50ish and even easier to fit
    Thermocouples are a doodle and should be held as an on-site spare
    Both do not involve disturbing the gas supply and are easily within the capabilities of anyone who can use a screwdriver/wrench

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    A new boiler ain't £300 in London
    Quite right. That last old boiler you had was £5 tops & bottoms. Bargain!

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    that's the end of that then.

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The £26 I pay covers Boiler, central heating, electricals and plumbing.
    Given call out charges in London and the fact that I've moved to an old Victorian, I think it's good value.
    It's the cost of an hour down the pub in the West End.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...mecare400.html
    what a bunch of bar stewards. I've just put my postcode in there and they want £28 pm or £336 pa. My renewal letter has got £353. Although I did call them out to fix the timer. That could be why.

However, Cover heat charge £150 for boiler cover (incl. inspection), £45 for plumbing and drains and £35 for the electrics. Thats £230 p/a a saving of £125 pa.

http://www.coverheat.com/priceplan.html

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    Originally posted by RightLaugh View Post
    I prefer to pay £30 pa extra with Cover Heat and get an annual inspection as well.
    and since when has a bit of carbon monoxide ever hurt anyone......

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The £26 I pay covers Boiler, central heating, electricals and plumbing.
    Given call out charges in London and the fact that I've moved to an old Victorian, I think it's good value.
    It's the cost of an hour down the pub in the West End.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...mecare400.html

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by ~Craig~ View Post
    I'm with Npower (even though i'm supplied by them) and that's provided by some other big company; can't remember who.

It's only about a tenner a month and it was the only one I found that didn't require an inspection but there is a one month no-claim period. At the time I had an intermittent problem with the boiler so just had to wait a month before getting it fixed for nowt
    I prefer to pay £30 pa extra with Cover Heat and get an annual inspection as well.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    I'm with Npower (even though i'm supplied by them) and that's provided by some other big company; can't remember who.

It's only about a tenner a month and it was the only one I found that didn't require an inspection but there is a one month no-claim period. At the time I had an intermittent problem with the boiler so just had to wait a month before getting it fixed for nowt

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    but you need someone to install it as well.

Yes of course, what I am saying is £300 a year to service something with a life of several years is expensive when compared to the cost of the system.

Surely it is better to get it serviced and just payout when something goes wrong using the fixed price BG service?

IMHO

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    It's official. Baggy is a renter.

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    For around £500 you can buy a boiler that would service 20 radiators, that's hardly a bedsit is it?

Some of you guys must get royally ripped off

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How small is your bedsit if you can get a boiler for £300 to heat it???

For around £500 you can buy a boiler that would service 20 radiators, that's hardly a bedsit is it?

Some of you guys must get royally ripped off

Leave a comment:

Working...
X