• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dumb Agents

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dumb Agents"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    NEVER! I moved here, not born here! (Is that better???)
    Hmmm - a plassie by choice?

Some are born unlucky, some choose it.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I'd say that was a very resourceful agent. First she suggested a reasonable commute, which you turned down. Then she offered you a chance to move out of the bleak depressed North West, into a more prosperous county. Ungratefully, you turned that down too. Finally, reasoning that you're a Scouser (or near enough), she offered you a contract in Northern Ireland where you'd almost certainly have relatives to stay with.
    NEVER! I moved here, not born here! (Is that better???)

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Finally, reasoning that you're a Scouser (or near enough)
    I believe the correct term is a "Plastic Scouser" or "plassie" to use the vernacular.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Why did you go so far to have a dump?
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Easy.

They stole the votes.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I'd say that was a very resourceful agent. First she suggested a reasonable commute, which you turned down. Then she offered you a chance to move out of the bleak depressed North West, into a more prosperous county. Ungratefully, you turned that down too. Finally, reasoning that you're a Scouser (or near enough), she offered you a contract in Northern Ireland where you'd almost certainly have relatives to stay with.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Sorry dodgy, I'm sure your not

What is the dumbest agent you've come up against.

This is mine. First of all I live in Chester. This lass rung up and asked if I would commute to Manchester, I said no that was a bit too far (wasn't too desperate at that point). She then asked if I would commute to Surrey!!!!!! I said no, so she asked about Northern Ireland!!

WTF?
    Isnt it a girlie thing this not having a clue about the layout of the UK? more importantly what does she look like ?

BTW I have had my moments

Leave a comment:

• Signo_cypher
    replied
    That's very true! I'm still getting roughly twice as many calls about perm jobs as I do contract gigs.

Fools
    I thought that was just me

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
    Why did you agree to the tel interview
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• dotnetter
    replied
    Why did you agree to the tel interview

Leave a comment:

• boxman
    replied
    I had a great one this morning...

Agent advertised a role where I didn't seem to have the principal skill. I told him he was wasting his time (and mine by inference). Still he managed to persuade the client to do a telephone interview this morning. First question was "do you have 3 years hardcore [required skill]?" Nope I said, I told the agent I didn't but he said that was fine. "Sorry but whilst your CV looks really good I need a hardcore [required skill]". Bye.

Agent then phoned up full of the joys of spring asking how it went. I told him it exceeded my expectations. It lasted a whole 3 mins (1 minute laughing between me and client) whereas I was expecting nearer 30 secs. Agent puts phone down.

Can't see the client going near this agency again in a hurry
    Last edited by boxman; 12 October 2007, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    I have become a lot more pushy about that sort of thing. If they won't tell you, then it's Bye Bye.
    I tried that, but then I got more desperate! Maybe next time!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123 View Post
    What I find even more annoying, is when they contact you and won't tell you where the gig is (lest you should be able to guess the client) so you can't even work out for yourself if the location is suitable or not.

tim
    I have become a lot more pushy about that sort of thing. If they won't tell you, then it's Bye Bye.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    I've had a gig in Malta offered before, even though it says in clear, English text on my C.V. that I do not wish to travel or relocate.
    What I find even more annoying, is when they contact you and won't tell you where the gig is (lest you should be able to guess the client) so you can't even work out for yourself if the location is suitable or not.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Why did you go so far to have a dump?
    Everyone should go to Liverpool for a dump, It's city of culture next year after all la

Leave a comment:

Working...
X