• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Orient Express

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Orient Express"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    And probably cheaper than going OE to Venice
    Yes... it was

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Just stumbled across this:
    http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle2615941.ece

Top 10 rail journeys
    I read the journey from Brighton to Hong Kong - sounded like utter hell to me. If that's one of the top ten, I'll stick to flying.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Just flying back with Mrs scooterscot from mauritius, going business class, well worth it, jumping the q'a always gives me a cheap thrill
    And probably cheaper than going OE to Venice

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    That is the conclusion I was coming to. Train out there to kick start the holiday and fly back afterwards.

Next thing is the hotel. I was thinking about this one

Try this place http://www.veniceby.com/ always had good results.

Get a water taxi back to the airport (about 100 euros) well worth it, and wear a jumper.

Just flying back with Mrs scooterscot from mauritius, going business class, well worth it, jumping the q'a always gives me a cheap thrill

Leave a comment:

• THEPUMA
    replied
    Back to the original point. I'm sure I saw somewhere that you can get 30-35% off the OE by using Nectar points.

I went on it up to the Ryder Cup a few years ago and it was alright. I wouldn't particularly rush to get on it again. The wife will love it though.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    What about the Tram Car Restaurant in Melbourne? Fab food and cheaper and nicer than Venice.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
    Done it a few times to Venice, and from Vencie back to london and there is nothing like it!!

The Mrs will love it. Yes its on the pricy side, bit it really gets you in the mood for a great holiday. Plus I would say it has to be on the list of things to do in a lifetime.
    Why?

ISTM that all you are paying for is a lot of pampering. If I wanted to spend 2000 notes on the pampering, I'd chose somewhere a damned sight more comfortable than a train.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post

Top 10 rail journeys
    Like you're not a trainspotter and have this in your favourites list...

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied

Top 10 rail journeys

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Like at the Grand Canyon?
    I've heard the Tate Modern is fairly dangerous at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    [QUOTE=rootsnall;316531]
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post

For scenery I'd look into the Canadian thing, I think there is a cross rockies touristy train line. I roughed it around the States on a cheapo train pass and large chunks of it are a bit flat and uninspiring especially across the top end of the country, atleast on the line I travelled on anyway. As you cross the border into Canada the change in scenery can be quite dramatic.
    I've looked into the cross-Canada journey (Toronto to Vancouver) and have been told the bit frmo Vancouver to the Rockies is the best bit.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Back off man, I've been to both Niagara Falls and Blackpool so I'm an expert. Anyone who says differently is as clueless as mailman. Well maybe not that clueless.
    Are we talking 'scottish' weeks or normal everyday Blackpool ? On second thoughts you may be right, I will back off.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    And the dangerous railings / lack of protection for people falling in
    Like at the Grand Canyon?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    what's the special occasion? just wondering
    Nothin in particular, just that we havn't had a proper holiday for various reasons for about 5 years. Son is off to Prague/Berlin for a week with his school in the spring so we figured it was a good excuse to get away ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by chasingtheaurora View Post
    Good question. In the case of SSAFA and RBL, the charities in question have a goodly proportion of their income being spent on the good causes!
    The charities commission insist that you specify the amount of money that you use for administration. If it is over a certain amount - 12p in the £ is a figure that springs to mind - they refuse you charitable status.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X