• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not all it's cracked up to be"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I'm sure it was.

I'm not a big fan of modern art (Tracey Emin's bed, bronotosaurus etc. don't class as art to me), but there are some works that I appreciate.

A crack in the floor is not art. If it were, I'd be selling my cellar for a fortune.
    You've fallen into (haha) the trap of assuming all worthwhile art will have a monetary value.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Nice idea. Sounds pretty arty to me.
    I'm sure it was.

I'm not a big fan of modern art (Tracey Emin's bed, bronotosaurus etc. don't class as art to me), but there are some works that I appreciate.

A crack in the floor is not art. If it were, I'd be selling my cellar for a fortune.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    A lot of modern art is rubbish, but the best of it gets you thinking 'outside the box' whatever you think of it it does generate discussion and provokes immagination. Some think Art is just photorealism, the closer to reality the better, I say if you want to reproduce reality buy a camera. I want to see an artist add their own twist to the subject matter, not copy it

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    A friend of a friend of mine tried modern art as a joke.

He buried a leather jacket for six months to let it go mouldy a bit, and then passed it off as an indication of the state of the cattle industry in the UK.

It was critically acclaimed, and won some prize!
    Nice idea. Sounds pretty arty to me.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge View Post
    I admire the artist. Keeping a straight face while explaining your work is the only asset you need. I wonder how many artists would be free to follow their dream and perhaps achieve their potential if agencies were closed down.......
    A friend of a friend of mine tried modern art as a joke.

He buried a leather jacket for six months to let it go mouldy a bit, and then passed it off as an indication of the state of the cattle industry in the UK.

It was critically acclaimed, and won some prize!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Shibboleth - It's not about racism, it's about thpeech impedimenths!!!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Two vistors to the Tate Modern have fallen into the hole which forms the centrepiece of the new installation in the Turbine Hall.
    The pair, who were at a private viewing of Doris Salcedo's Shibboleth 2007, were not seriously injured.

The London museum said there were no incidents when it was opened to the public for the first time on Tuesday.

A Tate spokeswoman added there were no plans to place barriers around the 167-metre long crack at this stage.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037536.stm

Leave a comment:

• shelby68
    replied
    Should get some Polish builders in to fix that...
    Last edited by shelby68; 8 October 2007, 21:47.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Envy is a nasty thing

I admire the artist. Keeping a straight face while explaining your work is the only asset you need. I wonder how many artists would be free to follow their dream and perhaps achieve their potential if agencies were closed down.......

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    "It is the experience of a Third World person coming into the heart of Europe."

Only if that crack is filled with gold - cheeky feckin' c**t.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    No it isn't - it's about 3 feet deep in places. Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of humanity today?

Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of workmanship today

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    How deep is it?

"It’s bottomless. It’s as deep as humanity,"
    No it isn't - it's about 3 feet deep in places. Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of humanity today?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    started a topic Not all it's cracked up to be

Not all it's cracked up to be

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/ntate108.xml

Just another mad Doris?
    Made by Colombian artist Doris Salcedo and entitled Shibboleth, the fissure is the latest monumental piece to fill Tate Modern's giant Turbine Hall in the rolling Unilever series of commissions.

What may not be glaringly obvious to visitors is that Shibboleth is laden with meaning as deep as the crack itself, according to Salcedo.

She explained that it was a statement about racism and the gap between Europeans and the rest of mankind.

She went on: "It represents borders, the experience of immigrants, the experience of segregation, the experience of racial hatred.

"It is the experience of a Third World person coming into the heart of Europe.

Working...
X