• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London has the world best public transport"

Collapse

• SquishedBunny
    replied
    Having suffered through rush hour on the underground systems in Tokyo, HK, Singapore, Beijing, Madrid, Seoul, New Delhi, Melbourne, and London I'd have to say that they all suffer from over crowding during rush hour to varying degrees.
    There are some good points about the London tube: stations are walking distance apart, service is frequent, only 1 operator so only 1 ticket.
    Unfortunately its good points are overshadowed by the problems brought about not having a continuous infrastructure improvement program. The majority of the trains are out of date, the stations are cramped and dirty (although the new platforms at Bank aren't too bad), there’s no cool/heating in stations or on trains, and no where else in the world have I have I had to blow black crud out of my nose after being on an underground train (Victoria line is the worst for this, you can actually see smoke when standing on the platform).
    The one thing that did amuse me when I first arrived in London was the constant announcements that there was a 'good service' on all the lines. Everywhere else (especially Tokyo & HK) a good service is just expected, it's not such an infrequent event that I need to be informed of it. Honestly do they want a present and a pat on the back every time there is a train isn’t late?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    How did you choose which school to send him to?
    Have you thought of living closer, surely he is your priority?
    Have you thought of being a fulltime carer and driving him both ways?
    Please don't blame the government for your choices.
    Harsh, but true.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lambros View Post
    London Transport gets my vote. Those living outside London don't know what is it like in the rest of the country.

My son is 11 years old and has to travel 15 miles to get to his school in gloucester. He has to be driven three miles to the nearest bus stop in Newham and when the bus turns up it takes him to the Glouecester Park and Ride and then another bus turns up to take him to school. He leaves home at 07.00 and gets home at 17.30 and school finishes at 15.30. BTW he is a year 7 pupil and 11 years old and has to endure a two hour journey home everyday.

How did you choose which school to send him to?
    Have you thought of living closer, surely he is your priority?
    Have you thought of being a fulltime carer and driving him both ways?
    Please don't blame the government for your choices.

Leave a comment:

• Lambros
    replied
    London Transport gets my vote. Those living outside London don't know what is it like in the rest of the country.

My son is 11 years old and has to travel 15 miles to get to his school in gloucester. He has to be driven three miles to the nearest bus stop in Newham and when the bus turns up it takes him to the Glouecester Park and Ride and then another bus turns up to take him to school. He leaves home at 07.00 and gets home at 17.30 and school finishes at 15.30. BTW he is a year 7 pupil and 11 years old and has to endure a two hour journey home everyday.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Voted for by tourists - they don't have to suffer the northern line at 8am!!!
    I use the Northern Line at around 9am for a half hour journey - it's not at all bad then, particularly starting from a terminus so I'm guaranteed my choice of seat

Hope the client doesn't start expecting me to get in for 8:30 any time soon..

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    2 points:
    - The New York travelcard covers a much smaller area than London,
    zones 1-6 is a huge area.
    - Most londoners get a monthly (or more) travelcard on their oyster, for unlimited travel on trains, tubes and buses, for the zones they live in.
    The monthly travelcard for all five zones (which most Londoners wouldn't need) is £150 per month which is about £5 per day. Not too bad for unlimited travel on buses, trains and tubes anywhere, anytime in the most expensive city in the world.
    London is not the most expensive city in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Aye. My total travel bill each month is £105.
    No car tax, road tax, petrol and maintenance
    Including the wear on your knuckles?

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    What about the likes of New York, Tokyo?

Haven't the Chinese or Indians sorted out their transport systems with all the trillions $$$ they have?
    I am sure the MTR in Hong Kong moves more people and it is so reliable it puts us to shame...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    In London a one day travel card (1-6) is somewhere around £6.30 where a similar card in Yew York is around £3.50, nearly exactly half the price. This difference is roughly the same for single/return tickets and any other comparible ticket types
    2 points:
    - The New York travelcard covers a much smaller area than London,
    zones 1-6 is a huge area.
    - Most londoners get a monthly (or more) travelcard on their oyster, for unlimited travel on trains, tubes and buses, for the zones they live in.
    The monthly travelcard for all five zones (which most Londoners wouldn't need) is £150 per month which is about £5 per day. Not too bad for unlimited travel on buses, trains and tubes anywhere, anytime in the most expensive city in the world.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    From the perspective of a tourist it could easily be the best in the world because without doubt one London has one of the most extensive public transport systems (and why not, they have been building it for around 100 years or more) and outside of rush-hour (and how many tourists travel at rush hour?) it is generally hassle free to travel, with newer lines like Jubilee clean and well lit

For those that live here and require it to get to work though it is totally different because they normally have to use it at the worst times of of the day, when all the cracks in the system are plainly obvious (mainly volume of demand vs capacity)

I note also they mention that the tourists consider it the most expensive, what the article does not highlight is by how much, when you compare it to the runner up for the 2nd best transport system (and also the 2nd most expensive), New York, the differences are huge.

In London a one day travel card (1-6) is somewhere around £6.30 where a similar card in Yew York is around £3.50, nearly exactly half the price. This difference is roughly the same for single/return tickets and any other comparible ticket types

And from conversations over the years with people it is the same pretty much everywhere when comparing any similar sized city against London (UK)

We pay double (or in most cases more) when compared to anywhere else but we defiantly don't get twice the service

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    feck off.. central line at rush hr is a joke..

having a big fat mamma shove her sweaty armpit in your face is repulsive

listening to "yeah but how do i get there? INNIT" winds me up loads

DLR is nice though, no driver ooooooooo
    The clue is in the question, as loveable old Wogan used to say: Rush Hour. RUSH HOUR! Of course it's tulip! It's RUSH HOUR!

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    feck off.. central line at rush hr is a joke..

having a big fat mamma shove her sweaty armpit in your face is repulsive

listening to "yeah but how do i get there? INNIT" winds me up loads

DLR is nice though, no driver ooooooooo

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7027322.stm

No, I couldn't believe it either

(Yes i know the title looks like it was written by a non native speaker of the language)
    What a crock of shi*

Leave a comment:

• Devlin
    replied
    NYC is quite good, but not as extensive as London, you can often be a long walk from one of the stations.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    London transport is, no matter what YOU think, one of the best transport systems there is anywhere. The only way it could be improved would be to kill half of all Londoners, to reduce the sheer volume of passengers. Volunteers?
    So our Islamist friends are only acting in our best interests?
    Makes you all warm and glowing inside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X