• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: shahira law

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "shahira law"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Yes, true - Shariah is a transliteration of the Arabic, and is more commonly used in business/official channels. Sharia is less accurate in English, closer to the Arabic.

[EDIT] Correction: Shariah is truer to the Arabic: linky
    "from Arabic shari'ah "the revealed law," from shar'
    "revelation.""
    Yes but I still want to know who Shahira is. Sounds like a B-list R&B type.
    Last edited by sasguru; 4 October 2007, 12:45.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    Its Sharia:

and is that not exactly what we did with the glorious Empire?
    The ignorance of some people, sometimes is truly astounding.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Yes, true - Shariah is a transliteration of the Arabic, and is more commonly used in business/official channels. Sharia is less accurate in English, closer to the Arabic.

[EDIT] Correction: Shariah is truer to the Arabic: linky
    "from Arabic shari'ah "the revealed law," from shar'
    "revelation.""
    Last edited by realityhack; 4 October 2007, 10:42. Reason: I was wrong

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Actually, it's Shariah.
    both are correct

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by robnjc View Post
    Its Sharia:
    Actually, it's Shariah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic

Leave a comment:

• robnjc
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Imagine, going to another country and wanting to change the legal system, or run your own alongside it.
    Its Sharia:

and is that not exactly what we did with the glorious Empire?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Try being a Muslim Lawyer!
    What about a lesbo muslim lawyer?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    Tell you what, where I live I wouldnt mind having a bit of Sharia law....

Hmmm, it sounds good, dunno if I could get the missus to wear a hijab though:-(
    Kinky sex...?

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Sharia Law

Tell you what, where I live I wouldnt mind having a bit of Sharia law....

Stone the gobby cows with the cans of Special Brew!!

Chop the hands of petty thieves!!(Half my bourough would be missing hands)

Lash the little kids that dont show civil respect and respect to their parents!!

Hmmm, it sounds good, dunno if I could get the missus to wear a hijab though:-(

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    That is just going to take too long...

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. However the idea of a less formal system along the lines of a Shariah court that could give a clear ruling without all the expensive nonsense of solicitors and courts is not a bad idea in principal. It really is ludicrous that deciding some simple little issue, like who owns 20 square feet of land, can cost you £40k upwards in a county court.

Not sure which are worse, Muslims or lawyers. Hard call.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Hmmm. how many times I wonder have we heard of women here initially claiming rape and then later admiting nothing happened.

Though I do agree that if there were four witnesses, they would be in on the rape and lie about it. Really it should take into account bruising and other physical factors. Anybody know if it does?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    I caught a tiny bit whilst flicking through various other channels in a bout of rampant xenophobia.

They put it to an African cleric about how ridiculous it was needing four witnesses to get a rapist convicted.
    To counter he claimed the law about rape needing four witnesses works both ways for a woman - she won't be punished (for being raped) if there are not four witnesses to say she offered herself!! Unbelievable.
    When Troll's away, GreenerGrass comes out to play.

Funny, never see the two of 'em in the same room at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    Did anyone watch the show on BBC2 the other night about this.
    I caught a tiny bit whilst flicking through various other channels in a bout of rampant xenophobia.

They put it to an African cleric about how ridiculous it was needing four witnesses to get a rapist convicted.
    To counter he claimed the law about rape needing four witnesses works both ways for a woman - she won't be punished (for being raped) if there are not four witnesses to say she offered herself!! Unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X