• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor Financials"

Collapse

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I think the problem is Banks and building societies have sold mortgages on to brokers who have sold them to other brokers but only for a short term eg 5 years, those buyers are now coming back expecting the brokers to buy those mortgages back and very few are willing to rebuy the debt and take on the risk.

For brokers read some investment ****** with large bonus.

Northern Rock problems happened when they could not off load anymore old mortgages to get money to fund new mortgages.
    Also known as buying a pig in a poke.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I thought that was half of the currrent problem with the mortgage market in general? Banks and building societies have sold mortgages on but only for a short term eg 5 years, those buyers are now coming back expecting the banks to buy those mortgages back and very few are willing to rebuy the debt and take on the risk
    I think the problem is Banks and building societies have sold mortgages on to brokers who have sold them to other brokers but only for a short term eg 5 years, those buyers are now coming back expecting the brokers to buy those mortgages back and very few are willing to rebuy the debt and take on the risk.

For brokers read some investment ****** with large bonus.

Northern Rock problems happened when they could not off load anymore old mortgages to get money to fund new mortgages.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Lack of liquidity in the interbank credit market?

No it's the way I'm stood

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    I wonder how NR got into credit difficulties?

Lack of liquidity in the interbank credit market?

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    They say:

Sounds quite good to me...

P
    If you like the idea of instant negative equity.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    The Northern Rock will happily work from your contract rate rather than
    needing accounts
    In other words, a Liar mortgage.

"We don't need any accounts, what is you rate, as junior 1st line support monkey?"

"£1500 per day"

"no problem, your £950,000 mortgage is approved"

I wonder how NR got into credit difficulties?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    They say:

P
    more competitive
    rate of 6.69% with an arrangement fee of £1995

taking the APR to around 8% (which is why the arrangement fee is excluded)

ask for the APRs then you will see the real cost

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Out of interest, what are NR offering?
    They say:

If you were looking for a 100% (or even 100%+) mortgage from a contractor
    friendly lender, the Northern Rock have an excellent scheme called the
    “Together” Mortgage. Basically they lend 95% of the value of your property
    as a mortgage and you have a choice of Fixed or Variable rates, and they
    then can lend up to an additional 30% (up to a maximum of £30000) in the
    form of an unsecured loan but over the same term and at the same rate as the
    mortgage. Whilst the interest rate is slightly higher it enables you to
    borrow in excess of the property value, so you could cover all the costs
    involved with moving, consolidate any credit cards or loans you may have or
    even buy furniture for your new home. The scheme also allows, unlimited
    overpayments (even on the fixed rate schemes, as long as they are not
    redeemed completely within the fixed rate period), underpayments and payment
    holidays (funded from overpayments) and even a redraw facility (at the same
    rate as the mortgage). Effectively the mortgage loan will be £232750 +
    £30,000 as a personal loan.

The variable rate option is often very popular with clients as it has no
    redemption penalties at any time, so if after 12 months the value of the
    property had increased, sufficiently, it would be possible to remortgage
    over to a non 100% property, without penalty, normally on a more competitive
    rate of 6.69% with an arrangement fee of £1995. This can be added to the
    loan.

The Northern Rock will happily work from your contract rate rather than
    needing accounts, and they don’t charge a High Loan Fee for mortgages over
    90%, unlike most lenders, which saves you thousands. We can process an
    Agreement in Principle with the Northern Rock. If you would like us to do
    this, let me know the best number to get you on and I will get my colleague
    XXX to call you and take the details.

P

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If Northern Rock is the cheapest option currently, then beware, because it is possible that your mortgage could be taken over by another company, in effect Northern Rock would end their contract and a new company offers you awful conditions or demands immediate repayment.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Thats not going to happen. Most mortgages have a securitisation clause. That means they have already sold your mortgage to someone else.
    I thought that was half of the currrent problem with the mortgage market in general? Banks and building societies have sold mortgages on but only for a short term eg 5 years, those buyers are now coming back expecting the banks to buy those mortgages back and very few are willing to rebuy the debt and take on the risk

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    NR aren't actually likely to go bust, that's why Bank of England supported them!

If they get taken over I'm fairly sure you wouldn't be forced to move to a worse product, there has been too much publicity and the government have promised to help the customers.

I would borrow or save with NR with out any concerns.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I expect if no-one took on the debt, the mortgage indemnifiers would re-possess the house or demand payment.
    Thats not going to happen. Most mortgages have a securitisation clause. That means they have already sold your mortgage to someone else.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I wonder what the legals are round this. Say you get a mortgage with NR with a 2 year tie in (for example) at 5%. After 1 year NR get bought by New Bank and NB say your mortgage is going to be migrated to their product which charges 6%. Surely you can't still be held to the 2 year tie in when the terms of the product have changed? At that point you can then go and find a new deal somewhere else non?
    I think they would wait until the fixed term was finished before they uped the rate, but if you tried to move, you might have to pay a large fee.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I expect if no-one took on the debt, the mortgage indemnifiers would re-possess the house or demand payment.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Read the small print. Who knows what that says and what you are agreeing to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X