• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is IT Support dead?"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
    Do this people not even bother looking at your CV's
    I think most of them wouldn't know how to open attachment if they could find it. It's the only reason I can think of for some of the calls I received in the past. Now I don't put a phone number on my profile any more.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    So if it's not an agent trolling, then its someone's other login.

It's sasguru I claim my £5
    No I'm not an agent and you don't win a fiver either Sorry

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I read it as the sarcastic impression meant the £10 per hour role with a view to going permanent was meant in jest.
    Yes I was being sarcastic. That said, I did receive this offer from an agent this morning. Do this people not even bother looking at your CV's

You think that's bad you should have seen the perm wage

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied

In that case, can I have half an hours IT Support please.

My toaster won't work.

Can I have a call ref no too, pretty please!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I read it as the sarcastic impression meant the £10 per hour role with a view to going permanent was meant in jest.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    What age are you 12?

I got the impression that most of the contractors on here were high end, highly skilled people, mostly under utilised in their current roles.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
    IT Support Defo not dead.
    Just been sent a Spec for a 1st Line Support in Reading for £10/Hour 3 month with view to perm.

Anyone interested drop me a pm
    What age are you 12?

I got the impression that most of the contractors on here were high end, highly skilled people, mostly under utilised in their current roles.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    IT Support Defo not dead.

Just been sent a Spec for a 1st Line Support in Reading for £10/Hour 3 month with view to perm.

Anyone interested drop me a pm

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Chim chimeny chim chimeny chim chim cherooooooooo....?

There was an article in the paper the other day about someone who's set up a chimney sweeping business... seems to be doing well...

My grandfather was, amongst other things (like running a market garden), a chimney sweep.
    Fortunately our one didn't burst into song (it would probably have added an extra £20 to the bill).

I did make sure to shake hands with him though.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
    That's good! Glad it's working out for you!
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    i actually still do support but it is more infrastructure based not really visiting users desktops or anything like that.

i do the odd contract here and their to keep busy , got a couple of interviews this week for some perm jobs so hopefully i will get one of those.
    That's good! Glad it's working out for you!

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
    LOL

I've read some of your past posts unemployed. What are you working in these days? I take it you're out of support for good?
    i actually still do support but it is more infrastructure based not really visiting users desktops or anything like that.

i do the odd contract here and their to keep busy , got a couple of interviews this week for some perm jobs so hopefully i will get one of those.

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    support people will always be needed, as when the developers eventually break their pc they need a support monkey to rebuild it.

lol, the joys or arguing with developers about not saving data on their local hdd, "i know best im a developer" what if your hdd dies "i will fix it im a developer"

shame they can`t fix the wanky oracle database that crashes every 2 days first.

thank god i don`t need to deal with people like that anymore
    LOL

I've read some of your past posts unemployed. What are you working in these days? I take it you're out of support for good?

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Was it ever alive?

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    support people will always be needed, as when the developers eventually break their pc they need a support monkey to rebuild it.

lol, the joys or arguing with developers about not saving data on their local hdd, "i know best im a developer" what if your hdd dies "i will fix it im a developer"

shame they can`t fix the wanky oracle database that crashes every 2 days first.

thank god i don`t need to deal with people like that anymore

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    IT support is dead.

I am generally better than 99% of the "support" guys I see and I also work as a trucker!

Current role I am doing some data analysis with some vba and VB6 thrown in for good measure. Not amazing but good enough considering that I didn't know VB until 3 days ago - learning on the job is the ways its meant to be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X