• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How to clean glass door on fireplace ?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    I don't bother and it sort of comes and goes. Think it comes down to the type of wood I'm burning.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I've found brasso/duraglit works well

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by where did my id go? View Post
    scrunch up a bit of newspaper then dampen it (you can just spit on it, but vinegar does work well). You could use a damp cloth but damp newpsaper does a perfectly good job.
    dip it in the woodash (NOT coal ash) and then rub the glass.

clean off with a damp cloth.
    The textbook approach as recommeded by Clearview installers.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    we got a fireplace with a glass door, the glass door gets all sooted up . . .
    What are you burning in it? Wood the groundsman has just chopped down from the copse in your manor? Need to season it for 18 months or so first . . .

Or use a decent coal - I like homefire - pretty shape!

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    scrunch up a bit of newspaper then dampen it (you can just spit on it, but vinegar does work well). You could use a damp cloth but damp newpsaper does a perfectly good job.
    dip it in the woodash (NOT coal ash) and then rub the glass.

clean off with a damp cloth.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Oven cleaner, look at the bottle and see if can be used on oven glass doors.
    They usually say leave on for a couple of hours. Leave the doors open, but don't forget to put some paper down to catch any drips. I usually remove with Stanley blade scraper.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I bet vinegar will do it. It does everything.

Warning: Clitty Bang strips the finish off plastic stuff, like loo seats, baths, etc. Found out this useful info. when doing a final clean of a very expensive & posh property I was renting. It was dispiriting to see the loo seat change colour, and then realise that the bath was in the same way, as I'd left it to soak in the stuff! It was tricky making it look OK for the inspection, as even a light sprinkling of water made the surfaces change colour, as if spattered in paint.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    try clity bang or whatever it is called.

Clitty Bang.
    And after that ask her to do some cleaning.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    Polish cleaner is best.
    lithuanian cleaners are just as good

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    linky

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Afternoon all,

we got a fireplace with a glass door, the glass door gets all sooted up, how to clean it ? Soap and water don't work, what's the best cleaner for the glass door on a fire place.

Cheers,

Milan.
    Polish cleaner is best.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I find a mallet always removes those stubborn stains

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    dont use it!

try clity bang or whatever it is called.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    started a topic How to clean glass door on fireplace ?

How to clean glass door on fireplace ?

Afternoon all,

we got a fireplace with a glass door, the glass door gets all sooted up, how to clean it ? Soap and water don't work, what's the best cleaner for the glass door on a fire place.

Cheers,

Milan.

Working...
X