• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lentil munching loons are going to ban lightbulbs in the UK"

Collapse

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Global Warming: Everyone knows that the sun is the real culprit; never the same since Garry Bushell left.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Do we really need light?

Blind people seem to cope well.

I suggest we ban light to save Carbon.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    If every UKhousehold installed 3 Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs enough energy would be saved in a year to supply all street lighting in the UK.
    Are councils planning to install energy-saving bulbs in all these street lights.
    What about all these poorly designed street lights that emit light in ALL directions rather than down towards the ground where it is needed.

Admittedly I don't use it a great deal, but I have a bedside lamp (originally a computer desk lamp) with an energy efficient bulb in that I bought in 1998 and I'm still using the original bulb. is this a record?
    Last edited by KathyWoolfe; 28 September 2007, 15:15.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Is that before or after you've snorted and injected the daily batch of drugs that so clearly addles what you call your brain?
    That was so dull.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Like most modern-thinking, green-minded folk, I have a single energy-saving light bulb, which salves my conscience as I drive my great big 4X4 diesel-burning Jeep MuthaFecker at 80mph past the local schools, on my way to the airport, for my daily Easy Jet shuttle commute from Luton to Glasgow.
    Is that before or after you've snorted and injected the daily batch of drugs that so clearly addles what you call your brain?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Like most modern-thinking, green-minded folk, I have a single energy-saving light bulb, which salves my conscience as I drive my great big 4X4 diesel-burning Jeep MuthaFecker at 80mph past the local schools, on my way to the airport, for my daily Easy Jet shuttle commute from Luton to Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    You talking about the same bulbs - the modern kind like? I use them at home and apart from taking a couple of seconds to get going I don't really notice any major difference.
    Some obviously start up quicker than others then - I got one for the house to try it out and it takes about 10-15 seconds to 'warm up'.

The colour is very different - you won't notice unless you spend a lot of time working with colour/white balances, or you design/illustrate/paint for a living.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Great - great idea that one...

I really want to bathe every room in my house with a sickening-yellow/green light - a light that doesn't switch on properly straight away - that you have to wait for until it kicks in. A light with a perceptible flicker (not to most people, warranted - but I can see the flicker from fluorescent lighting and it gives me a headache).

Oh - and the most important point for me - I use daylight simulation bulbs at the drawing board in my anglepoise - it's the only way I can do anything close to proper colour-matching, and the contrast produced by blue light far exceeds tungsten, fluorescent and halogen lighting. If this takes off I'm buying all the daylight bulbs I can get my hands on.
    You talking about the same bulbs - the modern kind like? I use them at home and apart from taking a couple of seconds to get going I don't really notice any major difference.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Great - great idea that one...

I really want to bathe every room in my house with a sickening-yellow/green light - a light that doesn't switch on properly straight away - that you have to wait for until it kicks in. A light with a perceptible flicker (not to most people, warranted - but I can see the flicker from fluorescent lighting and it gives me a headache).

Oh - and the most important point for me - I use daylight simulation bulbs at the drawing board in my anglepoise - it's the only way I can do anything close to proper colour-matching, and the contrast produced by blue light far exceeds tungsten, fluorescent and halogen lighting. If this takes off I'm buying all the daylight bulbs I can get my hands on.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    CFL's give you cancer and make your children be born blind.

That's what my gran told me once anyway.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    False. From this link (Eneergy efficiency partnership:

http://www.eeph.org.uk/energy/index....ew&news_id=843
    Hey - I was making it up as I went along. No need to get shirty.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    I'm sure you know what you're talking about lizard dude, I'm just googling and don't have much knowledge of this stuff (shocking news, I know) but links would be good to back up what you're saying.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    ESLB only last longer if you leave them on. Ordinary lightbulbs are far more efficient in situations where there regularly being switch on and off. More efficient than leaving an ESLB on all the time.
    False. From this link (Eneergy efficiency partnership:

http://www.eeph.org.uk/energy/index....ew&news_id=843

CFLi's need to be left switched on for >45 minutes as they consume so much energy when first switched on:

* There is no reason to keep a CFLi switched on for longer than a normal GLS bulb as they do not consume any greater energy during start up and run very efficiently immediately after the first 2 or 3 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I'm prepared to listen to objective counter arguements on why they're bad, but please do so with some sort of proof.
    This is CUK. You don't need proof just some cliched, hackneyed phrases of choice:

"tree-hugging"
    "Lentil-eating"

and some entrenched prejudices.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Anyone got some facts to back these anti energy saving lightbulb claims, rather than I read somewhere quotes?

here's a link from this is money - presumably not a lentil munching publication:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consume...3&in_page_id=5

The Government is planning a light bulb tax on families to lower household emmissions. Here are some fascinating facts about an extraordinary everyday item:

• In most homes, lighting accounts for 10 – 15 per cent of the electricity bill

• A 100W light bulb left on for just 30 minutes creates enough CO2 to fill a party balloon.

• UKhouseholds use £1.9 billion worth of electricity every year on lighting

• Electricity consumption by domestic lights and appliances has nearly doubled since 1970 and it is set to increase by 12 per cent to 2010.

• Energy saving light bulbs use different technology that enable them to produce a highly efficient and compact light using a fraction of the energy

• By buying an energy efficient lightbulb rather than the other alternatives, you can cut energy wastage by over three quarters. That's a saving of up to £9 a year for a typical 100W bulb, or £100 over the bulb's lifetime

• Energy efficient bulbs last up to 12 times longer than their inefficient counterparts.

• If every UKhousehold installed 3 Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs enough energy would be saved in a year to supply all street lighting in the UK.

• If everyone installed one energy saving light bulb the carbon dioxide emissions saved would fill the Royal Albert Hall nearly 2000 times

• An area three times the size of the Isle of Wight would need to be planted with Sitkaspruce to absorb the carbon resulting from the annual UKuse of domestic electric lights and appliances.

• The British public walks to the moon and back twice every year to change lightbulbs. CFLs last on average 12 times as long as standard bulbs: save your shoe leather.

• Energy saving light bulbs use different technology that enable them to produce a highly efficient and compact light using a fraction of the energy

• By buying an energy efficient lightbulb rather than the other alternatives, you can cut energy wastage by over three quarters. That's a saving of up to £9 a year for a typical 100W bulb, or £100 over the bulb's lifetime

• Energy efficient bulbs last up to 12 times longer than their inefficient counterparts.

• In 2001 there were 10m unit sales, representing 6.5% market share. This increased to 21m unit sales in 2005, representing 13% of market share. This is an increase of 110%.
    I'm prepared to listen to objective counter arguements on why they're bad, but please do so with some sort of proof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X