• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Metadata and ethics"

Collapse

• mace
    replied
    Contracts Direct

Whenever I've got a direct contract (most times by going back to a former client or one I knew from my consultancy days), the client has still insisted that an agent be put in the middle. The reason is that otherwise the client could be held liable for the employer N.I. they're so keen to avoid. Beats me how other contractors have managed to avoid this.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Should I have given commission to an agent for a job I knew I could get and had already done the groundwork for?
    As I was going to St, Ives....

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Ok I'll give you an example, 4 years ago I interviewed via Agency A for a contract and got it, budget fell through in the end. The guy gave me his card at the interview.

2 years later agency B phones me up about a contract in <area of company> and describes the exact role I went for 2 years prior. I contact the client via the details he gave me and got the contract (client never had my direct details so couldn't contact me and the original agency had gone bust)

Should I have given commission to an agent for a job I knew I could get and had already done the groundwork for?

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    IMHO There's a difference between using information to your advantage and acting unprofessionally. Guessing a client from some selected info isn't the same as agreeing to be put forward and then trying to go direct.
    A fine line, though! Maybe I'm just too well brought up!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    I do see what you mean, but I (being a complete coward) would be worried about pissing-off somone who, one day, sod's law, would be the very bod I wanted on-side. It's not THAT big a world in IT contracting, especially once you factor-in the sector you work in.
    IMHO There's a difference between using information to your advantage and acting unprofessionally. Guessing a client from some selected info isn't the same as agreeing to be put forward and then trying to go direct.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Agreed DBA, my niche is very small with only 2 or 3 main VAR/agencies worth speaking with and a whole lot of cowboy pmps around.

It's perfectly plausable that the gig mr UnknownPimp called about was a gig i'd either found out myself (and didnt want the pimp to know he had competition) or else I had already applied for via another agency (and again didnt want to inform the pimp about for the same reason as above).

I suppose it's how well you know your market and personal choice over who you choose to work with and what you tell anyone else. Personally I have my chosen agents I get on very well with, i find work myself whenever possible to ensure i get a bigger cut and with anyone else I keep my cards close to my chest..

Re-answering the initial question honestly, yes i do it all the time and I dont see it will ever cause me harm but it depends on your market and your relationship with the agent in question.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I do see what you mean, but I (being a complete coward) would be worried about pissing-off somone who, one day, sod's law, would be the very bod I wanted on-side. It's not THAT big a world in IT contracting, especially once you factor-in the sector you work in.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Good luck to you, etc. But, do you ever later think "I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me"?
    no, never. usual scenario goes as follows:

Hi Chef, this is UnknownPimp, how are you today mate?
    <usual pally pally, known you for ages, hows work going?>
    There is a role that you'd be ideal for..
    <after a few basic q's of who, what, where and dodging of saying how much i'd like and who ive ever worked for>
    it's a multinational <quote the clients moto> vague blah blah blah based in xshire
    ok, no im not interested thanks (chef opens up google)
    types multinational.. etc and location
    less than 10 mins investigation later, whaddya know, well known company comes up
    chat with mates to see if anyone has a name or knows anyone currently at said gig
    call up client ask for resource manager, be nice as pie just to get a name
    email tailored cv direct to resource manager or look for other avenues of access

How will the UnknownPimp ever know?
    Even if they did find out, what legal bit of paper have i ever signed to say I cant go for the job minus the pimp?
    As i said before, if it's an agent i've used before then i will already have a good business relationship with them and i'll use them rather than burn bridges.

If it's a slimy "alright mate", 2kilo's of gel, power suit with fat purple tie teenager who tells me of the job then I have as much right to use my own intelligence and go for the position as he would happily email any half arsed cv he can find in the hope of scoring some well needed cash for his next coke fix or tub of gel.

It's business, i stay this side of the law, pay the taxman, listen to my accountant and always read what i sign but other than that it's business

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    A stream of Gold whilst all around is Dark...
    GEORGE BERNARD SHAW:
    Your Majesty is like a dose of clap.

(gasps)

THE PRINCE OF WALES:
    What?!?

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW:
    Before you arrive is pleasure, but after is a pain in the dong.

THE PRINCE OF WALES:
    I beg your pardon?

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW:
    It was one of Wilde's.

OSCAR WILDE:
    Wha...

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I've had two direct contracts using information ascertained from agents. It's not different to them getting it from contractors as they often do.

Unsavy agents or contractors have only themselves to blame.
    Good luck to you, etc. But, do you ever later think "I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me"?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I've had two direct contracts using information ascertained from agents. It's not different to them getting it from contractors as they often do.

Unsavy agents or contractors have only themselves to blame.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    I wouldn't recommend this "clever" approach, because it's ... er ... obviously not clever. It could really do you damage.
    Yes, I was mainly concerned about this sort of thing. Whilst some clients don't get on much with agents either and also think many of them are money grabbing brylcream investing punks some have good relationships.

Perhaps I should have called this thread metadata and practicality rather than ethics, because there aren't really many problems that side!

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I have my doubts as to the accuracy of some of the above "what a clever, clever evil mastermind I've been by out-pimping the pimp" answers. So much dog poo, I bet.

The Client is going to be very feckin' wary about hiring you direct. It'll be so obvious that you've scammed a pimp; and the Client will be thinking of the hellish horror of said scorned pimp threatening action, etc., which no Client wants. Clients often have favourite agencies/pimps; how likely is it that they'd risk pissing them off for a lousy 15-20% saving?

And if (probably when) the pimp realizes what you've done? What then? Going to casually fob him off with a pithy Oscar Wilde quote? A very quick trawl through the hallowed pages of CUK will show that some contractors have been either sued, or threatened with such, by pimps for all manner of "offences", so a piss-take like going direct with their info is a dead cert. Also, pimps, like Contractors, are "fiscal nomads", too. Do you fancy having your name rubbed in the poo across the agencies by an agent you once so "very cleverly" out-pimped?

I wouldn't recommend this "clever" approach, because it's ... er ... obviously not clever. It could really do you damage.
    "The client is like a stream of bats piss".

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I have my doubts as to the accuracy of some of the above "what a clever, clever evil mastermind I've been by out-pimping the pimp" answers. So much dog poo, I bet.

The Client is going to be very feckin' wary about hiring you direct. It'll be so obvious that you've scammed a pimp; and the Client will be thinking of the hellish horror of said scorned pimp threatening action, etc., which no Client wants. Clients often have favourite agencies/pimps; how likely is it that they'd risk pissing them off for a lousy 15-20% saving?

And if (probably when) the pimp realizes what you've done? What then? Going to casually fob him off with a pithy Oscar Wilde quote? A very quick trawl through the hallowed pages of CUK will show that some contractors have been either sued, or threatened with such, by pimps for all manner of "offences", so a piss-take like going direct with their info is a dead cert. Also, pimps, like Contractors, are "fiscal nomads", too. Do you fancy having your name rubbed in the poo across the agencies by an agent you once so "very cleverly" out-pimped?

Last edited by DBA_bloke; 28 September 2007, 06:03.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    shhhhh!

next!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X