• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If I had a dog I'd kick it"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Alas No, I would have been around 19 at the peak of the popularity, and it was still open until about 10 years ago.
    You haven't aged well, have you?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucy View Post
    aren't you too young for the hacienda pussycat?
    Alas No, I would have been around 19 at the peak of the popularity, and it was still open until about 10 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    i almost agree with you, it was famous for dance music when dance music was popular. The real music was going on elsewhere. While the hacienda crowd were parking their XR3i cabrioles. This was the time of Jive bunny don't forget. I don't think TW started Madchester, that was already rolling along before he got involved.
    aren't you too young for the hacienda pussycat?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
    Nope. The Hacienda launched The Happy Mondays, had live music, but, yes, mainly DJs.

I have been there.

The Hacienda launched the whole Madchester thing - and so did waaaayyy more for the Manchester music scene than any other club. Proof: almost nobody outside Manchester, then or now, could name any other Manchester club from that era.
    i almost agree with you, it was famous for dance music when dance music was popular. The real music was going on elsewhere. While the hacienda crowd were parking their XR3i cabrioles. This was the time of Jive bunny don't forget. I don't think TW started Madchester, that was already rolling along before he got involved.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    The Hacienda was opened in a former boat showroom in 1982 and by the end of the decade had achieved cult status as the acid house craze took off

You haven't been have you or you would know that the Hacienda is synomous with dance music. Maybe for 6 months in 1982 it wasn't, or maybe on a Monday band night, when the trendies had no money left. There were numerous venues that did far more for the Manchester music scene.
    Nope. The Hacienda launched The Happy Mondays, had live music, but, yes, mainly DJs.

I have been there.

The Hacienda launched the whole Madchester thing - and so did waaaayyy more for the Manchester music scene than any other club. Proof: almost nobody outside Manchester, then or now, could name any other Manchester club from that era.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I think he lost it when he equated the Hacienda (at it's peak, don't know how it changed later) with the Ministry of Sound. Two venues more different would be hard to imagine.
    The Hacienda was opened in a former boat showroom in 1982 and by the end of the decade had achieved cult status as the acid house craze took off

You haven't been have you or you would know that the Hacienda is synomous with dance music. Maybe for 6 months in 1982 it wasn't, or maybe on a Monday band night, when the trendies had no money left. There were numerous venues that did far more for the Manchester music scene.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I know more than you do, I've actually met him. He had a fortune and lost it, mainly because his ego was more monumental than that of SASguru, most of the money was lost near the end. That's not to say he didn't say some funny things and help make a scene, but there is a lot of tripe written about him.

Still haven't told me why the king of live music opened a techno/dance club?
    See this. And as for meeting him... every fooker in Manchester met him! Including me. And I wasn't even that bothered about meeting him!

[EDIT] By meeting, I mean saying "Hello, Tony" and TW saying "**** off!" but I like to think a connection was made!

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    I think he lost it when he equated the Hacienda (at it's peak, don't know how it changed later) with the Ministry of Sound. Two venues more different would be hard to imagine.
    But... for about a year or so it was THE place to be seen, etc.

TW was, as he would tell anyone willing to submit to his lengthy and often dull ramblings, a man with a lot of civic pride. He loved Manchester, and eschewed the ususal trappings that his fame and endeavours could have secured for him.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Tee hee! So he had a big house. Probably from his TV work, which he continued to do, in spite of eventually hating it. He was potless. Hence, he couldn't even afford the medicine for his cancer; his showbiz pals had to chip-in to get it for him.

Tip-toe quietly away now while there's still a chance that nobody will notice that you gobbed-off with no knowledge AT ALL of the subject.

The Hacienda WAS a dance venue AND a live music venue.

I know more than you do, I've actually met him. He had a fortune and lost it, mainly because his ego was more monumental than that of SASguru, most of the money was lost near the end. That's not to say he didn't say some funny things and help make a scene, but there is a lot of tripe written about him.

Still haven't told me why the king of live music opened a techno/dance club?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Tee hee! So he had a big house. Probably from his TV work, which he continued to do, in spite of eventually hating it. He was potless. Hence, he couldn't even afford the medicine for his cancer; his showbiz pals had to chip-in to get it for him.

Tip-toe quietly away now while there's still a chance that nobody will notice that you gobbed-off with no knowledge AT ALL of the subject.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    That's why he had a big house in cheshire that one of my mates had a summer job cleaning.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Bagpuss: Soooooooo wrong that it defies belief! TW was on his uppers for nearly every minute of his "impressario" career. Fact. He never made any sort of big bucks from the muic or the club. Fact.The club was there, 100%, because he wanted one - he was a big show-off. The music was the first priority to him, not the dosh. Hence the famous written-in-his-own-blood "mission statement", that, in effect, meant that the bands got 99% of anything.

0/10 Must try harder.
    That's why he had a big house in cheshire that one of my mates had a summer job cleaning.

Some bands did play there to a handfull of people on a rainy Tuesday night. Friday and Saturday it was a dance venue, because that was where the money was at. He could have done more with that venue for 'proper' music but he chose not to.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 25 September 2007, 15:51.

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Ask most a locals over the age of 30 and you will realise the Tony Wilson myth. Os course he opened a dance club to make money, otherwise he'd have opened a live music club to support the local bands.
    Bagpuss: Soooooooo wrong that it defies belief! TW was on his uppers for nearly every minute of his "impressario" career. Fact. He never made any sort of big bucks from the music or the club. Fact.The club was there, 100%, because he wanted one - he was a big show-off. The music was the first priority to him, not the dosh. Hence the famous written-in-his-own-blood "mission statement", that, in effect, meant that the bands got 99% of anything.

And as for opening a live music venue, rather than a club... The Happy Mondays and loads of others made their name in the Hacienda.

0/10 Must try harder.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Could still raise you by 5 in the North, I'm sure you'd agree.
    Depnds where you consider the North starts, probably Watford

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Do you think that was the full list? I didn't have time to list all the sh1tholes
    Could still raise you by 5 in the North, I'm sure you'd agree.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X