• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coding exercise during interview"

Collapse

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
    Lemme guess, this was for a 1 month contract with no renewal?

Sounds like a permie role interview to me
    it was for a permie job - which they offered - but it only with a 6 month fixed length contract and then a permanent job after that - because although I passed the interviewing - I only have a HND - not a degree.

... so I took a contract elsewhere instead.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Thanks. Er, how do I click a link?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    I don't expect gurus - as was stated above, a quick Google is a remarkable refresher.
    Remind me how to use Google again?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba View Post
    It has proved useful once or twice. To be honest, the thing it tests the most is communication skills and thinking on your feet rather than cutting-edge skillz. If it's a phone interview and they panic with a simple question, it's not good, but if they try some vague shots at it that can be unrolled with a few follow-up questions I'm happy.
    Why would "thinking on your feet" be preferable to a considered and weighted answer?
    How many of us work this way - do coders go with the first plausible thing that pops into their heads or do some analysis, ponder the possibilities and then come up with the best fit solution - I know which one I'd want to employ.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    On behalf of my clients I have tested new contractors as part of the interview as a matter of course. No comedy l33tness required, I just want a feeling that they know the tools of the trade - don't want to be teaching them simple stuff once they are on the job.

It has proved useful once or twice. To be honest, the thing it tests the most is communication skills and thinking on your feet rather than cutting-edge skillz. If it's a phone interview and they panic with a simple question, it's not good, but if they try some vague shots at it that can be unrolled with a few follow-up questions I'm happy. In my case I'm always selecting for the team that I'm running, so 'hitting it off' is important. Techy knowledge has to be there, but I don't expect gurus - as was stated above, a quick Google is a remarkable refresher.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    A guy was interviewed here a couple of weeks back for a contract developer role. It was only after the technical test that he admitted he'd done very little of the required skill (PHP) and he sheepishly admitted that "I don't know much PHP, but I thought I'd try to blag it anyway".

If nobody was required to do technical tests, there'd be a lot of blagging contractors being paid a lot and achieving very little. It's pretty easy to stay under the radar in some of the larger organisations.

Leave a comment:

• Ivor1
    replied
    My current client gives techy tests to applicants for contractors, I think there a good thing.

On a couple of occassions we have taken people on who failed the tests, on both occassions they turned out to be cr*p when we took them on and we had to let them go.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My response would be "sure, my rate has now doubled to £800/day"

HTH
    My response would've been the same whatever the price!

"By the way, you might want to spend the next few weeks while on the bench pulling your own head from up your arse!!!"

I pay the money, you do the job. I throw you a fish, you jump through the hoop.

If you're not happy with me testing you and proving that you've got the skills I need then fine, feck off and find someone more gullible.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I interviewed a contractor last week.

As I handed him a technical test he said "You're not going to test me are you?"

To which I replied "No, no, I'm quite willing to pay someone 400 quid a day on spec!"

FFS, you need to prove you can do the job!!!
    My response would be "sure, my rate has now doubled to £800/day"

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I interviewed a contractor last week.

As I handed him a technical test he said "You're not going to test me are you?"

To which I replied "No, no, I'm quite willing to pay someone 400 quid a day on spec!"

FFS, you need to prove you can do the job!!!

Leave a comment:

• veekay
    replied
    I am increasingly getting the feeling that it looks like I am the only lucky guy to get tangled into this sort of silly technical test routine.

Is it fair to assume that most companies dissect your abilities with a technical discussion and not sit you in front of a slow desktop PC configured for use by a non technical chap and have the senior developer of the company and the HR director and the technical director sit behind you looking at every line of code you hack up ?

Thanks
    Veekay

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Technical tests are ok in moderation, but how many interviews test the full developer package ? I have never yet been asked to demontrate my skill at telling jokes, remembering the coffee round, the permies kids names, not to mention my ability to look at the HR girlies boobies without staring

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I think technical tests are a good idea. Before I agree to a consultation with a Doctor, I always set him a test, to check his medical knowledge. The same with lawyers. Recently before buying a loaf of bread I got the baker to do a test, to ensure he had a good understanding of the principles of baking.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I recently had a 6 hour interview where I had to write a link-list using a supplied header file, on a laptop with an editer and compiler supplied, and then had to go through it with the interviewers.

Then had a cross-questioning on virtual memory.

Then had to design a cache on a whiteboard.

With interviewing from 2 engineers, 1 director, 1 HR bod, and 1 VP - and after passing all this the VP was still concerned that I only had a HND and not a 1st degree.

Lemme guess, this was for a 1 month contract with no renewal?

Sounds like a permie role interview to me

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    I recently had a 6 hour interview where I had to write a link-list using a supplied header file, on a laptop with an editer and compiler supplied, and then had to go through it with the interviewers.

Then had a cross-questioning on virtual memory.

Then had to design a cache on a whiteboard.

With interviewing from 2 engineers, 1 director, 1 HR bod, and 1 VP - and after passing all this the VP was still concerned that I only had a HND and not a 1st degree.

Crikey, what was the job?

And how did your system connect to the whiteboard cache?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X