• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which contract?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which contract?"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Just think, if you commute 4 hour per day (2 there and 2 back for the milan types on here) and work for 46 weeks of the year, that means you will spend the whole of January and the first week of Feb just commuting. See if you can get a reduction in your rent based on the fact that over a 12th of your life that year would be spent inside on of our nice, clean, reliable and not in the slightest bit overcrwded trains.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    You think 2 hours is commutable, not for long it isn't.
    Did 8 months of 2 hours commutes and it is indeed a great way to end any social life you may have.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Better sense of humour etc ....

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    Go with the one living away.... Its great in the North and the people are friendly

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Stay down south. The more of you that stay away from the north, the better.

If it were me, I'd take the northern one.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by mbriody View Post
    Been offered one contract 'up north'. Same job title and rate as I'm currently on (which I'm happy with), long term, (probably) straightforward work but based away from home (as I currently am).

Also expecting an offer (within an hour or so) for a contract in the City, new field of work (possibly an 'in' to more contracts), probably 3 months only but £50 a day more plus potential overtime/weekend work.

This role is one or two levels below my usual job title so very much hands-on but possibly less responsibility/stress. Also its (just) commutable - probably 2 hours train/tube door to door.

Need to decide today! Any thoughts?
    Go with the one living away.... Its great in the North and the people are friendly

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Yeah, you can definitely get into a groove but it is exhausting.

If only the trains were more reliable and the tubes weren't so hot and overcrowded. It's not something I look forward to.

Whilst writing this the call has come in - been offered the second contract!

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    I live 27 miles from the IB I work at. It takes me 1.5 hours every day to travel there, by overground train and then the tube.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I live 27 miles from the IB I work at. It takes me 1.5 hours every day to travel there, by overground train and then the tube. I've been doing it 3 years now, and it did take its toll on me physically. Over time I began to plan my commute in advance, as in what to do on my journey (read book/paper/mag, music etc) and now I actually enjoy the journey and see it as my personal time.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Love it

Actually I'm a scouser by birth so I should know better.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

'oop nurth'

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    OK then. Fair enough.. if you've done it before..

Reminds me of a documentary on TV not so long ago about commuters who came from Northern France every day to work in the city...

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Just to clarify I'm talking about 55 minutes train, then 25 minutes(?) tube plus waiting time and to and from the station i.e. truly door to door.

As for costs, £50/day = £1000/month. Season ticket is approx £450/month BUT I'm currently paying rent/bus/petrol of about £460. So not a factor, basically.

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    2 hours = commutable?? Blimey... not for me it wouldn't be. Used to do about 1.5 hours each way and after a while it really takes it's toll. 2 hour train journey in peak times to and from the city also sounds expensive... I'm sure that will eat up your extra £50...
    Last edited by gadgetman; 6 September 2007, 14:56.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    'up north'

'oop nurth'

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    I've done it for many years before so know what to expect. I'm not saying its pleasant but compared to living away... there are pro's and con's.
    Fair enough, I prefer to stay away.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    2 hours = commutable?? Blimey... not for me it wouldn't be. Used to do about 1.5 hours each way and after a while it really takes it's toll. 2 hour train journey in peak times to and from the city also sounds expensive... I'm sure that will eat up your extra £50...

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    I've done it for many years before so know what to expect. I'm not saying its pleasant but compared to living away... there are pro's and con's.

Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    You think 2 hours is commutable, not for long it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    For me the chance to be at home would always sway it in the direction of the second one - but depends on how much you like your home! Also less stress and chance to get into something new would win it hands down.

Windy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X