• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newbie to contracting..."

Collapse

• lukemg
    replied
    Doc - the email I posted is not the opportunity I have available - it is an illustration of what you can expect from basic support roles = not much and only going downwards. I will email you with some details. Note I am not an agent.

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    ...but posts still under moderation!

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Looks like my PM is working...well the CP is available now!

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Doc, might have some work of interest to you, can't pm you for some reason
    This post contains about 3 posts worth as it is taking a while for my posts to appear on the forums:

1)

@ Lukemg, that email you had in your previous post, what would be the per hour rate in real terms. I had a call today regarding a position in Birmingham. The agent said it was £17ph - but after "this and that" it would be £13-£14 an hour. I had to tell the chap that I wouldn't really go for anything less then £15...he said - in a rather rude manner - that I wouldn't get a 1st line position for more then £14, never mind a 2nd line one! An hour later I get a call for a servicedesk role at a "Finance" institue in Birmingham, I told the lady that I wasn't interested in 1st line work and she said "wouldn't £18ph tempt you?". So it really goes to show just how tulipe these agency people talk...incidently I already knew this fact from reading up on previous posts before I joined! But it was quite something to witness it!

2)

I think I'm stil on moderation as my posts take a while to appear? I can't access the user CP either... Admin, how long does this go on for?

3)

Well as I thought the chap didn't get back to me for £24ph gig but hey they'll be plenty more enquiries I guess!

4)

As my PM is not available, my email address is [email protected] sorry for using a hotmail account, not very professional I know!

dr_beat

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Doc, might have some work of interest to you, can't pm you for some reason

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    24/hr - snatch his hand off at the shoulder, that is a serious rate for support.
    I got this email last week:
    --------------------------
    Hi

I have an opportunity for a 1st/2nd line support consultant, for a 3 month contract Based in Crewe

You needs to be able to start work on Monday 3rd Sept 07 .

3 month contract Rates £8.00 - £14.00 an hour with the opportunity to go from Temp to permanent

Skills Needed

Windows Proffesional
    Windows XP
    Active Directory
    Exchange 2003

Supporting 350 users on site... 60% Desktop 40% Server.

Please send me your CV if this position is of interest to you

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The shine rapidly goes off that one...
    Yes I would imagine that it would get boring after a while! Especially when you don't hear back from them...had a lot of that a few years back before I got a permie position in local govt! For the job I got now the agency were the first to call me - things went on from there! My present job is the first job an agency has ever got for me. Up until then I never really had that much faith in them!

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Just got a call from an agent for a 2nd/3rd line position 3 month contract - £24 ph he's offered and job is up the road from me...he wants to setup a telephone interview today and then face-to-face after that...

He did ask if I've had other enquiries from other agents though - is there a good answer for that? I just said that I've had a lot of agents call me about servicedesk work and that I'm not interested in that stuff.

Oh well...the guy might not even get back to me...but it's fun taking the calls though!!!

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    Thanks again for the great response!

I'm based in South Birmingham and yes I am willing to travel as in my present role my region is huge! In this role I cover Liverpool, Sheffield, Nottingham, Stoke and others that are along the M6 and M1.

I have family in London and Glasgow and I am of the opinion that I should be taking advantage of those "strongholds" as I'm sure that a family member will put me up - or put up with me for a price

I like to think that my comms skills are quite good - I have to deal with senior management on a day-to-day basis and often they rely on me to give them the correct advice on things like new site setups for instance advice and discussions on requirments such as switches, WAN Links, Servers, UPS, PBX systems, Desktops, Laptops, structured cabling, Video conferencing and ISDN requirments too. Often they just jump me when I'm doing a support call and ask me to attend budget meetings to justify the need for the technology.

So after that paragraph of complete bollocks, I'd like to think that I'm a switched on but purposely in IT normal type person...if such thing really exists

Yes I would consider shift work if the money and work involved was right! So far I've recieived 2 calls from agencies asking if I would do shift work...but in a service centremad Now I know there is A LOT of 1st line work out there but to be honest I did helpdesk work for 3 years and feel that I've done my time - but I'm a firm believer that the best IT Support people come from a Helpdesk background...well I would say that

I know there is zillions of Desktop and 2nd/3rd line Support people out there too - but from what I've seen and have been told by agents and employers is that a lot of them are paper MCSE twits or just not very good! And that there is a market for good 2nd/3rd line people

P.S.sorry for crap spelling and grammer - trying to type this post but I keep being interrupted...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Wot no abuse for a newbie

Worlds gone completely mad
    Nope. No need to, since the OP has done all the things we always suggest newbies do. Personally I only go for the ones that expect us to do all the research for them. When they do it right it sort of takes the fun out of it!

dr_beat - Good start, keep it up. And good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Welcome to the seedy world of contracting...

One point to watch out for immediately (with all the CV registering) is that after about 10am - when the lazy arse trolls (aka recruitment agents) have dragged themselves into work - you'll be deluged by phone calls trying to get names out of you.

Enjoy the fun of the contest not giving them any - they'll try lots of tricks - need them for x company who insist, do you know Mr Bean who used to be head of support etc etc.... There's a list of the tricks somewhere...enjoy the fun and don't let the ba$tards pi$$ you off.

Good luck in the contract hunt.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Dr b
    Where are you based/willing to travel ?
    Would you consider working shifts ?
    How would you rate your personal comms skills - mumbling geek or switched on 'accidentally in IT' normal type person ?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post

World's

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dr_beat
    replied
    LOL! my bad on the

I think my zero post count is because my posts are being moderated...

Thanks for the welcome! My first post seems a little pompous as I didn't explain that I'd like to get into contracting because I feel that I can adapt to new situations quite quickly. I've had previous experience of this from previous permie positions when I've taken on a project or I have had to fill in for some chump using off sick with stress! I do enjoy change...

I think i've said enough...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X