• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Losing interest

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Losing interest"

Collapse

• alreadypacked
    replied
    First month on my new contract went by very quickly, loads of work.
    Must remember to write my invoice today.

Ticket booked for Goa 25/11

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Oh dear, chose the wrong one after all?

The other one was probably worse.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    About half a day on the curent one
    Unless I missed it...what's happened then?

Was it the Xansa one...can I say I told you so?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Oh dear, chose the wrong one after all?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    How long does it take you to lose interest in a contract?

I can only seem to last 3 months and then the thrill is gone and I start hitting Jobswerve again and spending all day on the net... I can't believe I lasted 5 years in my first (permanent) job.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    A previous client wouldn't let me use one of their PCs because I wasn't an employee. I couldn't connect my laptop to their Lan either.

I was lucky to get a desk most days, usually when someone was away. One of the other contractors worked either perched at the end of someone else's desk or standing up!

Did a lot of work from meeting rooms and at home using an internet connection and webmail. Not ideal at all... they ended up running out of money and pulling out of the project.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    get source code, data, documentation onto a USB drive and then spend some time catching up whilst they sort out the PC.

If they still have problems with that then try and get some print outs

at least you'll have tried!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    surely you don't go in to a contract without your own laptop incase the client hasn't thought ahead
    Originally posted by Client'sITDepatrtment
    It is strictly forbidden to connect any non {client name} devices to the corporate network or to access corporate data from any non {client name} device.
    So I'll just sit at my non-existent desk reading the paper and getting paid for a couple of days

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    surely you don't go in to a contract without your own laptop incase the client hasn't thought ahead

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    On my first day on one contract, I was told to go round the building and scavenge enough bits (PC, screen, cables etc.) to build my own.
    It is strange that everyone wants us to start 'tomorrow' and no one gets a desk/machine/login for weeks...
    It is my experience that these roles are generally advertised with
    "Must be able to hit the ground running" , "Must be self motivated" , "Innovative thinker"

as key phrases

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    On my first day on one contract, I was told to go round the building and scavenge enough bits (PC, screen, cables etc.) to build my own.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    It is strange that everyone wants us to start 'tomorrow' and no one gets a desk/machine/login for weeks...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by dawson View Post
    Probably didn't help that I didn't get a machine of my own or my own login for about a week.
    I had a client who, interviewing on a Tuesday, wanted me to start work the next day. As it was right across the country and meant staying away from home, I asked if I could put it off until the Thursday, to give me a day to sort a few things out; they groaned and wailed, but grudgingly agreed to the 24 hour delay.

It then took them two and a half weeks to get me a desk. The computer came three days after that.

Leave a comment:

• dawson
    replied
    Well, with my current contract which I'm now about 3 weeks into, I lost interest after a few days. Probably didn't help that I didn't get a machine of my own or my own login for about a week. Only 2 and a half months to go

Having said that they are paying the most money I've ever earned. Says it all I guess.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    T-SQL coding all day, every day.
    Luxury! I've seen contracts where the Excel VBA monkeys would have killed each other for the chance of some T-SQL coding.

I only lost interest in a client once, and it took over 4 years to get there. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X