• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Make science easier, examiners are told"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    In the recent A levels results, a graph on the BBC indicated that only 3% now fail (U grade). That isn't an exam.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l_subjects.stm

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed.

I read it yesterday morning. People often use Xray tubes to look at the stars, but tend to die of radiation poisoning.

Sad really.
    I didn't know that. Very sad.

I'm still concerned at who Chei and Jas are. Pseudonyms for Chaz and Dave perhaps? Nothing but voyeurs anyway.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    I see the plan - to produce an unsuspecting generation that knows nothing about outer space.

It might interest you to know the astronomy question on the front page of the Times, which went something like this.Odd names, Chei and Jas.
    What about this one?! Brain washing at an early age for why ID cards are a good thing?!!! How could they?!

Question 7: People's eyes are used as personal idenification?

A: in hospitals
    b: at airports
    c: at school
    d: at home

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I think exams can determine two things about a given year group:

1. How each pupil rates against the average

2. Those who achieve a given standard

Number 1 is a more reliable indicator, and is virtually independent of the standard set, but never reduces the number of "failures"

Number 2 is unreliable, if the standard is set low enough everyone will achieve it, but what has anyone gained (the pupils, universities or employers)?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I'm of the opinion that you should be measured against a standard, not how well everybody else in your year did.

I'd prefer it is the standard was a little bit higher though."

How do you write an exam paper which is equally as hard as the ones which went before it? If the pass mark is fixed, then surely the constant has to be the difficulty of the paper sat. Surely it is better to use the old method if setting an exam and determining the pass marks based on the performance of the group - i.e. so only the top x% get an A

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    I see the plan - to produce an unsuspecting generation that knows nothing about outer space.

It might interest you to know the astronomy question on the front page of the Times, which went something like this.Odd names, Chei and Jas.
    Most folk, these days, observe the stars in OK! magazine.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    The straw that irrevocably broke the camel's back and resulted in the spiral into social disorder we are today enjoying, and to think you stood back and did nothing!
    Seems that dropping the Sulphate ion from the Chemistry syllabus has a lot to answer for.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The current exams aren't really easier, BUT the level required for the grades has fallen.
    In maths GCSE you can get an A with >55%

Twenty years ago >70% would have been needed and 55% would have yielded a C, it depended on how everyone else did though i.e. it was adjusted to a normal distribution of grades. Now it's 55% every year!
    I'm of the opinion that you should be measured against a standard, not how well everybody else in your year did.

I'd prefer it is the standard was a little bit higher though.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Indeed.

I think this one is #427.26

It might interest you to know the astronomy question on the front page of the Times, which went something like this.
    Chei and Jas visit an observatory with their class.

The astronomers who work there show them some instruments they use to find out about stars.

Many people observe the stars using:

a) a telescope
    b) a microscope
    c) an X-ray tube
    d) a synthesiser
    Odd names, Chei and Jas.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The straw that irrevocably broke the camel's back and resulted in the spiral into social disorder we are today enjoying, and to think you stood back and did nothing!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Maybe this explains why the 11 year old was shot
    ????????????

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    My old Chemistry teacher went into a decline when the new A-Levels began to emerge, in the late 80s. "The sulphate ions aren't going to be covered anymore!" was a memorable lament of his.

Maybe this explains why the 11 year old was shot

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    My old Chemistry teacher went into a decline when the new A-Levels began to emerge, in the late 80s. "The sulphate ions aren't going to be covered anymore!" was a memorable lament of his.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    That means nobody under 36 will get work!
    Nothing wrong with that.

BTW I'm 36, and in the last year to do O-levels.

My second year of 6th form the teachers (and the maths teachers in particular) were all complaining that the new batch of students starting A-level (i.e. had just taken GCSEs) were about a year behind where we'd been having done O-levels. Specifically we did calculus in O-level maths, whereas GCSE drongos had never heard of it. So suddenly the amount they had to learn in 2 years went up significantly. Of course then they made A-levels easier to compensate.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Just reject everybody with GCSEs. Clearly they're too young to have had a good education. O-levels are what to look for.
    That means nobody under 36 will get work!

I like it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X