• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Britain received 5.4 billion west African pickpockets last year"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    No matter how far you travel, you still can't get away from yourself...

As Francko is no doubt finding out.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be led.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    And you should know...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    As my tagline says, I'm off to France. It's OK for Jegs: he's a millionaire and his career is firmly rooted in being a UK resident. Typical Clarkson twattishness to say that those who wish to live in another country are failures. If you take that sort of idea to its logical conclusion, then leaving one's home town is equally a sign of failure, and Jegs doesn't live in Doncaster anymore.... Cotswolds & Isle of Man for him. The slag.
    Wow I agree with you, if whichever group Clarkson decides to pick on doesn't live in Chipping Norton with a fleet of expensive cars then they don't live up to his particular 'twee' standard of living and obviously deserve to be chastised, if I move abroad it will be because I find the culture more accommodating not because I have no friends, the main thing that keeps me here is the relative ease of earning a decent wedge. Whenever I visit France, Spain or Italy I am always impressed by the way the family unit is treated as paramount, in the UK we have adverts for granulated gravy with an oath promising that we should all eat together once a week... FFS what happened!!!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    As my tagline says, I'm off to France. It's OK for Jegs: he's a millionaire and his career is firmly rooted in being a UK resident. Typical Clarkson twattishness to say that those who wish to live in another country are failures. If you take that sort of idea to its logical conclusion, then leaving one's home town is equally a sign of failure, and Jegs doesn't live in Doncaster anymore.... Cotswolds & Isle of Man for him. The slag.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Is that some masonic ritual you can't talk about?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I have been shot, stabbed, pissed on, spat on

Is that some masonic ritual you can't talk about?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    have you been pick pocketed Churchill?
    Did you find it funny?
    Nope. I have been shot, stabbed, pissed on, spat on but never pick pocketed. Sadly, my life is lacking...

Churchill - In "Obviously I'm too middle class" mode!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    "The fact is, I’m afraid, that anyone who emigrates from Britain, no matter where they end up, is a bit of a dimwit.
    I mean, why leave? Because you have no friends? Well, what makes you think it’ll be easier to make friends somewhere else. Because of the weather? Oh, come on. Sunny days work when you’re on holiday but when you’re stuck in an office, you need it to be 57F and drizzling.
    "

I don't think the dimwits survive abroad. I mean they might stay 1 or 2 years and then go back frustrated that they couldn't find marmite or the sunday roast but then a good percentage of british abroad are people with an open mind who did not leave because they thought their country is hell but simply because there are other things which they find better for themselves. Though there are many others which are worst, obviously, but life isn't only about going to work and drinking beer with friends. I have met many english people living in Italy with the proper mindset who do have fulfilling lives, despite all the other problems in the country. I think his vision is very limited and shows that he's the real dimwit that reduce all the cultural implications to just working, going out, crime and public services.

"Honestly, every single expat I’ve ever met is the same; hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics, that the barman really is their friend and that it’s only 11 hours till bedtime. "

I think he's never been abroad and I find this very unfair towards british expats trying to show that they are the same bunch of unadaptable individuals. Which is not the case, though as for many nationalities, there are some of this sort.
    My, my all that typing for a Clarkson article. I wonder who's the dimwit

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    In typical Clarkeson fashion that is very one sided.

Next week he'll be contradicting himself talking the UK down and picking on immigrants again.
    Last edited by pisces; 27 August 2007, 16:37.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    "The fact is, I’m afraid, that anyone who emigrates from Britain, no matter where they end up, is a bit of a dimwit.
    I mean, why leave? Because you have no friends? Well, what makes you think it’ll be easier to make friends somewhere else. Because of the weather? Oh, come on. Sunny days work when you’re on holiday but when you’re stuck in an office, you need it to be 57F and drizzling.
    "

I don't think the dimwits survive abroad. I mean they might stay 1 or 2 years and then go back frustrated that they couldn't find marmite or the sunday roast but then a good percentage of british abroad are people with an open mind who did not leave because they thought their country is hell but simply because there are other things which they find better for themselves. Though there are many others which are worst, obviously, but life isn't only about going to work and drinking beer with friends. I have met many english people living in Italy with the proper mindset who do have fulfilling lives, despite all the other problems in the country. I think his vision is very limited and shows that he's the real dimwit that reduce all the cultural implications to just working, going out, crime and public services.

"Honestly, every single expat I’ve ever met is the same; hunched at a bar in a stupid shirt, at 10 in the morning, desperately trying to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics, that the barman really is their friend and that it’s only 11 hours till bedtime. "

I think he's never been abroad and I find this very unfair towards british expats trying to show that they are the same bunch of unadaptable individuals. Which is not the case, though as for many nationalities, there are some of this sort.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Did you find it funny?

No I've never been pick-pocketed and I get pissed in London most weekends. I reckon they go for people who look like victims.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    Did you find it funny?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Quality Clarkson rant followed by the usual 'disgusted from Tunbridge Wells' responses.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    It's Clarkson. It's called having a sense of humour. Try it...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X