• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Phone Ban

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phone Ban"

Collapse

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    It's not unheard of. One of my clients has a total ban on mobile phones at their site. You leave them in lockers at reception. Last person caught on site with a mobile was arrested by the old bill. Mind you, they make bombs so it's not surprising really.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've been to a lot of sites where I've had to turn my mobile (we call them handys here BTW) off, particularly secure sites. When I worked at the Porsche development and test center, if your phone had a camera you had to leave it with security otherwise okay. Interestingly enough where I am now there are no cameras allowed but it doesn't say anything about phones with cameras. When I was working at IBM in Poughkeepsie last year no cameras were allowed yet we used one to do screen captures of SMITTY on AIX systems...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Is it GCHQ? They make you leave phones, Furbys, etc. at the gate.
    When I was there a couple of years ago the new building was just going live and they had detecting devices around the main ring walkway, its quite embarrassing when you forget to leave it in the car!
    Teach you not to take your Furby to work

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I believe the main reason that the gov is getting tetchy about mobile phones in secure areas is because they all have camera's built in these days, cameras have always been banned on secure government sites unless you have special permission, sounds reasonable to me.
    And they steal one's soul. I eat raw garlic to counteract this evil menace.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I believe the main reason that the gov is getting tetchy about mobile phones in secure areas is because they all have camera's built in these days, cameras have always been banned on secure government sites unless you have special permission, sounds reasonable to me.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    Only criminals have human rights. Keep up with the rest of the class.
    They have a lot of our phones, too.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    what about your human rights?
    Only criminals have human rights. Keep up with the rest of the class.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    what about your human rights?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Is it GCHQ? They make you leave phones, Furbys, etc. at the gate.
    When I was there a couple of years ago the new building was just going live and they had detecting devices around the main ring walkway, its quite embarrassing when you forget to leave it in the car!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Despite what I said before, if it was for genuine security reasons I would probably go along with it. I thought it was a "you should be working" type directive.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon View Post
    I’d love to ban mobile phones (and landlines sometimes) in my office, but I am all alone here and the only calls I get are business. It would not bother me to be on site with a ban like that.

I am more interested to know the reason why they want to ban mobile phones. Is it tracking and bugging or is it the data carrying capabilities. If the latter, why just have them switched off and not include other devices. If the former, well what about the rest of us!

However, I’d put money on it being some anal, public sector, Nazi, thick-o who dreamed it up because it was their brief to improve ‘security’. I doubt if there is a sensible reason for it.
    I believe it is the capabilities of looking at something and phoning some up about it ??? we are aloud to use our phones in the corridors but not in the secure rooms. I do sometimes sit here and think if i wanted to get data out of this company that could cause some serieous damage if in the hands of the wrong people then why couldn't i just walk 10 mins from my desk and use my phone there ?? not sure if this idea has really been thought through.

I keep my phone on silent at the moment and will continue to keep it on silent.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

Yes very professional
    OI, Miss Blaze Dazzlejugs....that's cheeky!!!

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    I’d love to ban mobile phones (and landlines sometimes) in my office, but I am all alone here and the only calls I get are business. It would not bother me to be on site with a ban like that.

I am more interested to know the reason why they want to ban mobile phones. Is it tracking and bugging or is it the data carrying capabilities. If the latter, why just have them switched off and not include other devices. If the former, well what about the rest of us!

However, I’d put money on it being some anal, public sector, Nazi, thick-o who dreamed it up because it was their brief to improve ‘security’. I doubt if there is a sensible reason for it.

Leave a comment:

• poser
    replied
    if you got a landline at your desk why dont your forward your calls to that number?

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    I worked somewhere that had a phone ban (secure site) where you had to leave your phone at reception ... and if you didn't there was a device that did something weird to the signal so you had no service unless you went out onto the road!

The fact that they tell you that you can use it at lunchtimes and breaks kind of invalidates the security argument tho' dunnit?? Anyway they always use their mobile phones on Spooks!!

I worked for a customer who also had a mobile phone ban in the office but the client used to moan if she couldn't get hold of us?!

Windy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X