• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quick Question for the Experts: How to check the size of the Temp tablespace Oracle"

Collapse

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
    You tend to get the polar extremes...either up for a laugh and glad to get their heads out a emacs and the like (seem as they don't like using GUI tools etc.) - or complete arsey tw@ts. Either way normally good for a wind-up
    I find this post highly offensive for DBAs
    Mods please delete this post

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    You tend to get the polar extremes...either up for a laugh and glad to get their heads out a emacs and the like (seem as they don't like using GUI tools etc.) - or complete arsey tw@ts. Either way normally good for a wind-up

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    DBAs are lovely folk... you bastard!
    I don't class myself as a DBA, although I do have an OCP in it. Not something I really want to do, but I was fed up of DBAs saying "oh, it's not as simple as that..." or "oh, you can't do that..." without any knowledge for me to say "yes you can".

Some are a joy to work with (two guys here, for example). Some are right b'stards though.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Oh they always brighten up the office with their jovial frivolities...heart and soul of the party your average DBA
    DBAs are lovely folk... you bastard!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Thank F*** you lot aren't near SIL4 stuff.

No wonder my bank etc always have the wrong info on me.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    shall we make today hug a dba day ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Not quite - I've not seen a post that says "f*** off, I'm busy" or "I'm at lunch, go away"

Or have I just not been reading carefully enough?
    Oh they always brighten up the office with their jovial frivolities...heart and soul of the party your average DBA

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Richard being a DBA ... explains the dry sense of humour, slightly nontulant air, and amount of time he has to post on here...all makes sense now
    Not quite - I've not seen a post that says "f*** off, I'm busy" or "I'm at lunch, go away"

Or have I just not been reading carefully enough?

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    You have at least one Oracle DB you're interested in. Find out NOW who looks after it. Buy 'em a tea and tell them you need their invaluable help, etc. We DBAs are, usually, a lovely, tea-drinking lot, and respond well to freebies and OTT praise.
    Richard being a DBA ... explains the dry sense of humour, slightly nontulant air, and amount of time he has to post on here...all makes sense now

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    in the .Net area we don't use dba's or the oracle teams infact we stay well away from them because .Net uses databases in a way which goes against the way they have been taught to use databases

Milan.
    .Net does most things in a way that goes against the way that an expert in the field would do it.

ASP.Net is a classic case in point. The only sensible way to use it is to throw most of it away and roll your own. It's not very surprising that MS managed to get the DB side of things completely wrong too.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Assuming that you only have one datafile for the temporary tablespace, it does. If you have more than one datafile, then you would need to sum them and group by tablespace name, and not select the file name.
    I assumed that it'd all go into a spreadsheet.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Data Files:
    SELECT file_name "File",
    tablespace_name "Tablespace",
    bytes "Bytes",
    bytes/1024 "KBytes",
    (bytes/1024)/1024 "MBytes",
    ((bytes/1024)/1024)/1024 "GBytes"
    FROM dba_DATA_files
    ORDER BY tablespace_name,file_name;

Temp Files:
    SELECT file_name "File",
    tablespace_name "Tablespace",
    bytes "Bytes",
    bytes/1024 "KBytes",
    (bytes/1024)/1024 "MBytes",
    ((bytes/1024)/1024)/1024 "GBytes"
    FROM dba_TEMP_files
    ORDER BY tablespace_name,file_name;

An aside: get a DBA.
    good work Richard, worked first time.
    Assuming that you only have one datafile for the temporary tablespace, it does. If you have more than one datafile, then you would need to sum them and group by tablespace name, and not select the file name.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    our survey said utt utt

your second one gives a list of tablespace_names but doesn't include the TEMP tablespace which is the one I need

you see folks, and here's another lesson in life, if you want a job done properly do it yourself

give the folks here a chance to shine and demonstrate their abilities and what do they do... faq it up

Milan.
    Cut and paste error - if I'd copied the answer I gave yesterday (the one where the post began "Doh"), it would have been right.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied

in the .Net area we don't use dba's or the oracle teams infact we stay well away from them because .Net uses databases in a way which goes against the way they have been taught to use databases

Milan.
    You have at least one Oracle DB you're interested in. Find out NOW who looks after it. Buy 'em a tea and tell them you need their invaluable help, etc. We DBAs are, usually, a lovely, tea-drinking lot, and respond well to freebies and OTT praise.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X