• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Councils urged to stop clamping"

Collapse

• pisces
    replied
    Will only mean more money on everyone's council tax bill.

I'd rather they carried on collecting it from ignorant drivers who park in the wrong places.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No disrespect but, how can it be perfectly safe if there was a single yellow line? Unless you have serious mobility difficulties shouldn't you have found a disables space?

Admittedly councils do seem to be spreading yellow lines about a bit now but they normally have a reason.
    I think you are either being naive or haven't experienced "the joys" of an anti-car Labour council.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fairy - nuff

Leave a comment:

• C5/6
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Unless you have serious mobility difficulties shouldn't you have found a disables space?
    Which I do.

But the regulations say with a blue badge you can park on a single yellow as long as you're outwith any loading restrictions. Ie if ok for a delivery van to stop it's ok for gimps and cripples. I think many people on this board will be familiar with the concept of using the regulations to our advantage as much as possible.

Anyway I think in this case there was a short length of yellow line separating the residents permit holders parking for the pay and display section.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    No disrespect but, how can it be perfectly safe if there was a single yellow line? Unless you have serious mobility difficulties shouldn't you have found a disables space?

Admittedly councils do seem to be spreading yellow lines about a bit now but they normally have a reason.

Leave a comment:

• C5/6
    replied
    Could be worse, you could live in Scotland

They've banded clamping in Scotland, so they just tow your car instead. They will tow you if you're incorrectly parked at all, not just if its dangerous/blocking the road as is the popular myth.

I got towed about 6 months ago for parking in a perfectly safe place on a single yellow line, which would have been totally legal had I remembered to display my blue disabled badge. Was gone about a hour and a half, and so was the car when I got back. Couldn't get the medication I'd left in the car until I'd managed to locate it and pay out £105 + £30 for parking ticket + cost of cab to pound.

Somehow, don't think punishment fits the crime.

Stuart

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Never been clamped

I always park legally and have no sympathy with those that don't.

People that get clamped for parking illegally and then whinge about it should be dragged through the street's behind one of the delivery trucks that can't deliver because some inconsiderate Ahole has parked illegally.
    Just as an example to the other Aholes of course

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They get paid

About 50% of fines aren't paid, if they clamp you then you have to pay!

Simple solution, make private firms responsible for compensation if they clamp / fine illegally then set the ambulance chasing lawyers on them. Certain companies would be bankrupt in weeks. Others would get decent photographic evidence to support any fine / clamp.

Just see it now the advert - a cold snowy day in dangerous part of town, druggies shooting up, yobs on mopeds and pan to a little old lady's mobility scooter parked in a disabled spot with a massive clamp and the voice over in an American accent.

Have you been clamped and you weren't at fault? call Dodgy Lawyers inc on 0800 Get Cash - for an immediate payout.

If you want to raise cash then its a civil problem and the firms should be open to civil cases.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Maybe they should introduce a tax to combat clamping?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman View Post
    Apart from the fact that its legalised extortion AND you cant contest the clamping until AFTER you have already forked out nearly £200 to get your car unclamped!

Cause then you had those a88holes who would clamp anything and everything regardless of how long a car had been stationary (including clamping those bloody funeral cars on the way to a funaral and then laughing about it when confronted).

Mailman
    Yes, commonplace abuses of the system like that are so unfair. My bum!

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Apart from the fact that its legalised extortion AND you cant contest the clamping until AFTER you have already forked out nearly £200 to get your car unclamped!

Cause then you had those a88holes who would clamp anything and everything regardless of how long a car had been stationary (including clamping those bloody funeral cars on the way to a funaral and then laughing about it when confronted).

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    What exactly does clamping achieve that a parking ticket doesn't? Other than causing even more traffic problems and/or inconvenience for others while the owner wait for the clamp to be removed. Plus of course the council gets £100 extra...
    It's a bigger pain in the arse, so makes you think twice next time.

Come on! Keep up at the back!

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    They should only use clamps and removals on foreign cars
    He's CD!

BURN HIM!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I thought that wheel clamps were what bolt cutters were invented for...
    Don't you mean diamond tipped drill bits

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    Eh? If a car's legally eligible for clamping, then er, it's eligible for clamping. Clamp the f---ers.
    What exactly does clamping achieve that a parking ticket doesn't? Other than causing even more traffic problems and/or inconvenience for others while the owner wait for the clamp to be removed. Plus of course the council gets £100 extra...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X