• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomed!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed!"

Collapse

• pierretopping
    replied
    Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
    Next door sold their house for £15k more than we paid for ours exactly a year ago, just hope it carries on for at least another year or so, when we come to sell.
    and

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Yes I think workwise London would be better, but there are no lakes in there.

Hi Sandy hope things are well.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    ..ah you regret going to Switzerland or just going premie.
    Just going permie.

Besides, this is no paradise either and workwise, yes, I believe the environment is much better in lil' ol' England. And the swiss efficiency.... oh, yes, that's just a myth .

However, have to admit that the quality of life is much higher here and for an italian, well, you feel half way home (bizarre how I tend to speak english first but then people are more comfortable with the italian language instead)
    Last edited by Francko; 6 August 2007, 08:17.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I have found a contract but then I went for the permie option as it was almost the same money. I do regret it already after a few weeks though.
    ..ah you regret going to Switzerland or just going premie.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You must be joking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6932304.stm

The average cost of a house in England will break through the £300,000 mark in the next five years, research suggests.

The National Housing Federation (NHF) warned prices are now almost 11 times the average wage and may rise by 40% as supplies fall further behind demand.

Yep, house prices are going up by another 40%. All true, the BBC say so.
    ROFL I was just about to post that just so I could beat Dim Prawn to a house price news item.

I wonder if I can re-mortgage the extra 40% equity in advance to plough into off plan "luxury" buy-to-let flats? Shall I email the link to my building society?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You must be joking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6932304.stm

The average cost of a house in England will break through the £300,000 mark in the next five years, research suggests.

The National Housing Federation (NHF) warned prices are now almost 11 times the average wage and may rise by 40% as supplies fall further behind demand.

Yep, house prices are going up by another 40%. All true, the BBC say so.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Time to hit the auctions again.
    Who needs a pension

Property property property cheap property

Living off the backs of the unfortunate

Leave a comment:

• chubba
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929361.stm

The number of mortgages in arrears came in at 125,000 - 3% down on the same period last year.
    Oh prawn, you are a funny one! The headline of the story is:

Home repossessions 'rise by 30%'

So, while the number of mortgages in arrears are 3% down on the same period last year, an estimated 14,000 properties were repossessed in the first six months of the year - a 30% increase on the same time last year.

Depends how you read the article really but I am definitely reading that as DOOMED

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    Neighour is selling his house, which is identical to ours, for £40000 more than last year's asking price for our model. That is greater than a 10% rise.
    Selling != Sold

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Originally posted by Bright Spark
    definately boomed, china hasn't even started waking up yet, wait until
    every chinese want's to buy cars, software and rolex watches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929160.stm
    they already are...wait till they start building their own aeroplanes.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    When we get a major downturn, which muct happen sooner or later, just how may unemployed will we have? 6 million?

All those eastern europeans in the service industry jobs, will they go or will they stay now?

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929361.stm

The number of mortgages in arrears came in at 125,000 - 3% down on the same period last year.
    definately boomed, china hasn't even started waking up yet, wait until
    every chinese want's to buy cars, software and rolex watches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6929160.stm

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Prices

AFAICS, prices in London have begun to stagnate, if you are looking arounf the first stamp duty threshold you will see that many are dropping to 250/255 that where 265/275.

Most decent places are way above that price though so we will have to see

Leave a comment:

• chubba
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    Neighour is selling his house, which is identical to ours, for £40000 more than last year's asking price for our model. That is greater than a 10% rise.
    Neighbour

That is what they are asking for but from what the estate agents I have been talking to have said, not many houses are fetching the asking price at the minute. I am not in London so that market may be different.

A lot of the houses we have looked at over the last 4 months are still on the market. We have just accepted an offer on ours after reducing the price by £15k and are looking to bank the capital (£200k) and rent for 6-12 months while we look for another. Not just gambling on the house market dropping but that we want to live in an area where houses don't come up that often so being a cash buyer is a big advantage.

Still, if the market does take a tumble then we will have timed it quite well!

Fingers crossed...

Leave a comment:

• Colemanisor
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I have found a contract but then I went for the permie option as it was almost the same money. I do regret it already after a few weeks though.
    Joining the Dark Side - tch,tch,tch!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X