• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working Hours - Where Did My Life Go?"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by brownie74
    i'm surprised you can get a job. i have seen a CV go straight in the bin with 12 contracts over a three year period. it shows zero renewals.
    I was trying to make a point to wet-lugs. Dont worry about that particular problem because you are going to be constantly on the move

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    are you serious? i always turn round and say goodnight to the team. and i say good morning when i arrive. being the last in and first out, i always get a smile
    You're confusing work with the pub.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    All that shows is that there are managers around with permie-hiring mindsets. But you don't want to work there.
    i'd love to think it didnt matter...4 gigs a year would be great fun. you cant get much done in 12 weeks tho, can you. only something noddy. you'd be applying for low end jobs, so you might get away with it

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    i'm surprised you can get a job. i have seen a CV go straight in the bin with 12 contracts over a three year period. it shows zero renewals.
    All that shows is that there are managers around with permie-hiring mindsets. But you don't want to work there.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    Wet behind the lugs

When you have been doing four contracts a year for 3 or 4 years you will learn that making friends on a contract is something that doesnt happen often, so dont sweat it.

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    I've used both of these tactics. Learning how to make it look like you are just going to look for someone but actually leaving takes a bit of skill and practice. The late start bit is now a non starter as I've got young kids who get you up at the crack of dawn so it's early starts for me. On my current contract I have just insisted on a definition of the working day as 7.5 hours, I'll do more when needed but will take back the time when it suits. If the clients don't like it then they don't renew, simple as that.
    are you serious? i always turn round and say goodnight to the team. and i say good morning when i arrive. being the last in and first out, i always get a smile

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    You will grow out of it. You will develop a healthy '**** you' attitude.
    Spoken like a gentleman, sir!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    [QUOTE=barely_pointless]I used to work at an IB in London and did 0900 to 1730 or 0830 to 1645-ish ........QUOTE]

Yep that's my score too. I do my 8 hours every day and that's it. Rarely I have to do more if the situation requires, but on the other hand I sometimes get to leave that little bit earlier.

I set the expectations as soon as I started - I asked to start a little earlier so that I could finish before 5pm, and that's what I've done ever since. I can understand the fear about competing for contract work with others in the same team, but hey if they're going to cut contractors there's not a lot you can do about it anyway.

Just do your contracted hours and be professional. Get the work done and get it done well - that's what you're hired for.

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    I used to work at an IB in London and did 0900 to 1730 or 0830 to 1645-ish with 30 mins odd for lunch until world cup time where we spent all the time in the pub.

Start as you mean to go on, don't give the expectation that you are a 12 hour a day bangalore body if 6 weeks later you drop back to a normal contractual obligation, the client will perceive that he is getting less.

and that's the rub, it's about perception!!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Wet behind the lugs

A daily rate of 350 works out at about 42 quid an hour. If you do an 11 hour day its 32 quid. I wouldnt get out of bed for 32 quid an hour.

When you have been doing four contracts a year for 3 or 4 years you will learn that making friends on a contract is something that doesnt happen often, so dont sweat it.

The only thing that matters is hitting your targets, leave the 'bum on seat' mentality to the permies (and the pm's). If you have to work 11 hours a day to hit your deadline, do it, if you can meet your deadline by working 6 hours a day, then **** off at four. If you work in an area where there are no real targets, do your eight hours then leave.

You are allowing yourself to be pressured, this is bad, sounds like a hangover from your permiedom days. You will grow out of it. You will develop a healthy '**** you' attitude.

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    Originally posted by tay
    once in a blue moon I will stay late if we are doing a release... and they really appreciate it.

I totally agree, I learnt a very valuable lesson early in my career.......

If you constantly work overtime, it becomes the norm and expected, and questions will be asked if you stop doing it.

If you never work overtime, but then you do once to help them out when it hits the fan, it is really appreciated!

Sounds daft, but I have seen it happen, I worked in a team where one guy had no social life and used to work 9 hours a day minimum. We used to just stick to the 7.5.

He managed to get himself a girlfriend and cut back to 8 hours a day.
    At his next review he got a verbal warning because if it, they actually mentioned in his review that they didn't like the fact that he had cut his hours!
    Wereas me and a couple of others *only* put in extra hours when it hit the fan, and we got bonuses because of our 'comittment'!

Go figure...

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    But it so hard to work out without anybody noticing! None of colleagues, permies and contract seem to want to go home at a reasonable time. Some sort of competition to see who is the last one out of the door?
    Who cares??? Its all about the relationships you build with the people that matter. 1 hour spent in the pub with the PM or manager is worth 100 working late.

And if you cant go to the pub, then just be friendly and happy at work.

But the most important thing is to start how you mean to go on. I always start at 8, always have 1 hour for lunch and depending on contract I finish at 4 or 4.30 everyday... once in a blue moon I will stay late if we are doing a release... and they really appreciate it.

I work in fininace in London for major Blue Chips and have had lots and lots of extensions, and never once had an issue with finishing on time. All comes down to how much guts you have, some people are doormats and some people are feet.

What it means to the agency, who put the phrase in the contract in the first place, is that you should work whatever hours the client later deems to have been satisfactory.
    That way lies madness and no life....

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    This is common if you are working in banking in London. I have never understood it myself, when I was permie I never worked late.

I have seen a couple of approaches to this, one bloke I worked with always stayed late but never started before 9:30 on the basis that everyone notices if you work late but noone ever notices if you are in late.

Another hung his coat in a cupboard near the exit. He would be talking to the people he sat with and intimate that he was going to talk to someone in another part of the office. That way noone was ever sure about what time he actually left.
    I've used both of these tactics. Learning how to make it look like you are just going to look for someone but actually leaving takes a bit of skill and practice. The late start bit is now a non starter as I've got young kids who get you up at the crack of dawn so it's early starts for me. On my current contract I have just insisted on a definition of the working day as 7.5 hours, I'll do more when needed but will take back the time when it suits. If the clients don't like it then they don't renew, simple as that.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by castoff101
    Any offers on what a professional day means?
    The answer is not a specific number of hours, or even a principle, or indeed a matter of what it should mean.

What it means to the agency, who put the phrase in the contract in the first place, is that you should work whatever hours the client later deems to have been satisfactory.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by castoff101
    Any offers on what a professional day means?
    No more than 8 hours IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X