• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Unfortunately that property is under offer"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Up until the sale agreed point yes. A middleman between you and the vendor/buyer slows things down. I've done it without an agent and it's much quicker.
    Maybe it was below market price.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Originally posted by NoddY
    All agents can be supplanted by machines.
    Only when machines can lie convincingly.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    All agents can be supplanted by machines.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt
    They talk the market up/down to ensure a swift deal and max commission.
    Up until the sale agreed point yes. A middleman between you and the vendor/buyer slows things down. I've done it without an agent and it's much quicker.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    All agents are just accomplished liars for the lazy minded.

An Agent merely lies to both parties to make them feel better about a transaction. They talk the market up/down to ensure a swift deal and max commission.

Pure and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Estate Agents

tsk! what a bunch of bastar*s eh?
    Estate agents are just order takers, especially in the boom years. I'm not sure exactly what value they add.

If you don't have them the chain moves quicker.
    The internet is the only shop window you need.
    You are the best person to sell your house.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Estate Agents

Funny! But I bet when a pimp meets an Estate Agent, it's like Neo & Agent Smith in Matrix Revolutions!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Estate Agents

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    They used to do it, its called "Gazzumping". I think its good that practice died out.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Estate Agents often have this covered in their contracts with vendors. A common condition is that the vendor will withdraw the property from the market when an offer is accepted.

Last estate I agent I used to sell a property had a clause in there and I sad "Nope, cant agree that take it out". They said "Fine, get another estate agent"

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Ha, Bag-o-pus wants to buy into property. You gotta laugh.

Yes it made me chuckle

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    From the estate agents perspective this seems to mean the property is unavailable, commission in the bag etc.. Yet they have a duty to inform the vendor (their client) of any interest and are legally bound to report offers, but they almost always don't want to. This is surely a conflict of interest?
    Ha, Bag-o-pus wants to buy into property. You gotta laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    From the estate agents perspective this seems to mean the property is unavailable, commission in the bag etc.. Yet they have a duty to inform the vendor (their client) of any interest and are legally bound to report offers, but they almost always don't want to. This is surely a conflict of interest?
    I think they look at each case and decide whether to put them forward or not, even though they're supposed to submit all of them.

They'll submit higher offers if they reckon there's a likelihood the vendor will be happy to pursue it. If the already-accepted offer's purchaser is in a better position to complete than the party with the higher offer, they probably won't bother with the higher one.

Better to chose the route most likely to actually secure the commission rather than automatically choose the highest offer.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Does it need questioning?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af
    I hope you aren't calling into question the integrity of Estate Agents!
    Does it need questioning?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X