• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 36 Grays Lane.

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "36 Grays Lane."

Collapse

• King Cnvt
    replied
    One does not want injured "servicemen" type people clogging up ones highway when one is off to pick up young Tarquin from Polo practice.

That wouldn't do at all.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    How far is it from the hospital, are there not suitable accomadations on the hospital site, would it not be better to provide on site facilities instead of here?
    They are laying on a minibus to cut down on the amt of traffic. They were going to build on the hospital site but this would have taken a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones
    I believe that servicement should be treated in military hospitals, which in turn could be paid for by the MOD...

Feasible???
    THis is not to treat servicemen. This is a place for their famililes to stay while they are being treated at the local rehab center.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I am not entirely armed with the facts here, but from what I have read the residents have a point.

Planning has been granted on an emotional level not on the facts.

The residents are being painted as uncarring even though they have reasonable grounds to object.
    The property in question is a single family residence. It is being proposed as a hostel for up to six families including injured service personel who may or may no trrequire treatment.
    Can the area provide the extra parking?
    Just imagine the comings and goings at all hours.
    What about security?
    There are probably plans afoot to turn it into an asylum centre in 2 years. Quite right LG, until we know the facts it is difficult to judge (not that it should matter on this board )

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    The rest of the country has to put up with all sorts of unwanted developments be it places of worship, drug rehabilitation centres, Tesco's store etc.. etc.. and they are complaining about a centre for wounded servicemen??? I don’t care what the residents say it is a case of NIMBY but for once they didn't manage to buy their way out or nobble a judge.

How long did they think they could keep this giant private park on London’s doorstep without some concession? They should count themselves lucky and just accept it.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    I believe that servicement should be treated in military hospitals, which in turn could be paid for by the MOD...

Feasible???

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

It looks a nice big place. I can see no issues with parking etc....

I can see no other reason for their objections...
    Thanks for that, yes it looks eminently suitable for purpose.

What is annoying me with this is the emotive talk of not caring for injured service men and using that as an excuse for forcing through the plans.

How far is it from the hospital, are there not suitable accomadations on the hospital site, would it not be better to provide on site facilities instead of here?

All sorts of questions.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

It looks a nice big place. I can see no issues with parking etc....

I can see no other reason for their objections...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    LG,

in this situation you have to look from a different perspective.

Better in their neighbourhood than your neighbourhood, therefore this planning application and proposal is a good thing.

This is called Reverse NIMBY

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    I am not entirely armed with the facts here, but from what I have read the residents have a point.

Planning has been granted on an emotional level not on the facts.

The residents are being painted as uncarring even though they have reasonable grounds to object.
    The property in question is a single family residence. It is being proposed as a hostel for up to six families including injured service personel who may or may no trrequire treatment.
    Can the area provide the extra parking?
    Just imagine the comings and goings at all hours.
    What about security?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    People who were injured in the course of performing thier duty to queen and country no less, the people who will be in the front line defending us if we ever get attacked!!!!

The people who didn't want this to happen should feel very very ashamed of themselves!!

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Yep, fully agree....common sense at last!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

People like this should be .................... sorry words fail me ..........

We're talking injured servicemen here, some of them recovering from horrofic injuries and mental trauma.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    just shows how _bad_ the people around there must be

what a community !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    A total of 86 residents had sent letters of objection saying it would have a detrimental effect on the area.

But the planning sub-committee voted 17-0 in favour of the planning permission on Wednesday night.
    Finally some commonsense prevails.

The right result IMO, now time to send in the big diggers and cranes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X