• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Terrorist attack - could this happen?"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    In Europe and America,
    There's a growing feeling of hysteria
    Conditioned to respond to all the threats

In the rhetorical speeches of the Communists
    Mr. Putin said we will bury you
    I don't subscribe to this point of view
    It would be such an ignorant thing to do

If the Russian love their children too

How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy ?
    There is no monopoly of common sense
    On either side of the political fence

We share the same biology
    Regardless of ideology

Believe me when I say to you
    I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent
    To put words in the mouth of the president
    There's no such thing as a winnable war
    It's a lie we don't believe anymore

Mr. Bush says we will protect you
    I don't subscribe to this point of view
    Believe me when I say to you
    I hope the Russians love their children too

We share the same biology
    Regardless of ideology
    What might save us me and you
    Is that the Russians love their children too

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Apparently her books were a bit racist though.
    Huh?

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af
    Dear, dear Eileen! A lovely lady who, it seems, went onto better things:

Apparently her books were a bit racist though.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicky G
    Czech foreign minister Jan Kavan / Czech counterintelligence (BIS). This is a summary.
    The film "Conspiracy Theory", was it based on you?

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    I don't think that Eileen Bilton would be too happy!

Give her a ring on Skelmersdale 32123!
    Dear, dear Eileen! A lovely lady who, it seems, went onto better things:

Leave a comment:

• Nicky G
    replied
    OK got it worng he was 33. What evidence that he was in Czech apart from the ravings of a lunatic mind
    Czech foreign minister Jan Kavan / Czech counterintelligence (BIS). This is a summary.

http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/2002question/prague.htm

Russia's hidden hand in "Islamic terrorism" / Czech Republic

Czechoslovak STB secret police and military espionage were both used frequently during Soviet operations, also involving recruitment and training of Middle Eastern Islamic terrorists on Czechoslovak soil.

According to my sources in Czech Republic, such terrorists were frequently trained in a terrorist training camp Zastavka near city of Brno in the province
    South Moravia.

Zastavka is situated 12 miles from a huge Czechoslovak military base Vyskov. Naturally both Zastavka and Vyskov were highly guarded during such
    operations so nobody from the general population and from the base staff without the need to know clearance wouldn't have any direct knowledge
    of what was going on.

I had a meeting with former BIS Czech Intelligence Service Captain Vladimir Hucin during my last year visit to that country so I asked him about an information that Mohammed Atta, one of the 9/11 terrorists, was in fact trained in Zastavka terrorist training camp in 1988 by the Czechoslovak communists.

Mr. Hucin replied to me in front of a witness that he had such information while working in the counter-terrorism and extremist subversion section of the BIS police.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Not quite. Yes, enough of the fissile material in one lump will detonate, but the bang is not anywhere close to what a proper nuke could do with the same material. Something to do with the blast breaking the lump apart before all potential material is used. Clever neutron bombardment with Polonium (Yes! Our new celeb element!) and other, techy stuff is required... thank goodness.
    Polonium is so yesterday. These days we have "other" neutron generators...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Yes. Why don't we trick the beardies, and pretend that the capital is now Skelmersdale? No loss even if they did detonate.
    I don't think that Eileen Bilton would be too happy!

Give her a ring on Skelmersdale 32123!

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    I think zeity is comparing it with one of his lizardy doomsday bombs.
    I see. Point conceded!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Plutonium a damp squib? The perma-tanned oldies in Nagasaki might disagree with that!
    I think zeity is comparing it with one of his lizardy doomsday bombs.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You'd only get a fizzle with Plutonium... a nasty dirty bomb though... and Polonium/beryllium urchins are so 1940s...
    Plutonium a damp squib? The perma-tanned oldies in Nagasaki might disagree with that!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Not quite. Yes, enough of the fissile material in one lump will detonate, but the bang is not anywhere close to what a proper nuke could do with the same material. Something to do with the blast breaking the lump apart before all potential material is used. Clever neutron bombardment with Polonium (Yes! Our new celeb element!) and other, techy stuff is required... thank goodness.
    It would still be a bastard bang though, a sort of dirty bomb with A-Levels.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    If I recall correctly, a suicide bomber just needs enough fissile material to make critical mass. He doesn't need all the mechanics, action codes and stuff.

He only needs to bang together two semi-spheres, using his hands, to set it off, and that's about ten KG of weapons-grade plutonium.

So the answer is that he cuts the fissile material out of the warhead. Being a suicide bomber, he's not arsed about being irradiated.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    Re: nuclear attack on London.

I'm surprised the possibility doesn't enter into the heads of Londinium-dwellers more often. It's entirely feasible, so it then comes down to probabilities.

Where would the primary targets for such an attach be? New York / London of course.

Wonder what it would do for house prices :-) ?
    The thought has crossed my mind. But being vapourised in an instant is porbably not a bad way to go, eh?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicky G
    2) All Russian warheads are protected by action codes known only the Russian president and the chief of the Russian General Staff. How therefore could these weapons be detonated without Russian assistance?
    If I recall correctly, a suicide bomber just needs enough fissile material to make critical mass. He doesn't need all the mechanics, action codes and stuff.

He only needs to bang together two semi-spheres, using his hands, to set it off, and that's about ten KG of weapons-grade plutonium.

So the answer is that he cuts the fissile material out of the warhead. Being a suicide bomber, he's not arsed about being irradiated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X