• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has the stock crash started?"

Collapse

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    Yep, that's good advice. They're cheap to buy into as well since there is much less effort involved in investing according to an index, rather than stock-picking.
    Before I pulled out a couple of months ago I invested a good amount in the FTSE 250 ishare. As you can see it does alot better then the 100 and the Dow.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=5...EFTMC&c=%5EDJI

250 has just gone below the 11,000 barrier. Only a few weeks ago it was above 12,000. Might be worth a punt now. If it goes down further then another punt to bring down the average.
    Last edited by RightLaugh; 27 July 2007, 15:13.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by RightLaugh
    From what I understand 85% of funds under perform when compared to the FTSE 100. Might as well buy a FTSE 100 or 250 tracker EFT ishare.

Yep, that's good advice. They're cheap to buy into as well since there is much less effort involved in investing according to an index, rather than stock-picking.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    DIY or go the tracker route, pay some tosser to manage my money, i think not

Leave a comment:

• RightLaugh
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Investment funds are good, however you can gain an extra 2 or 3% long-term by cutting out their charges. An alternative is to subscribe to some Investment Research. Standard & Poor for example, and select your own stocks, from their recommendations. An advantage here is you can set your own risk level, and its more fun . After a crash you can nimbly rush into a market and you always make a killing 5 years later. Keep enough cash to be able to dive in when the markets crash, this happens at least once a decade, and there is usually a severe correction at least every 5 years (my experience).

I had about 10 stocks originally and that went well I now have 30 or 40 stocks, and never put more than 5% in any one stock. That means worst case a bankruptcy would cost me 5%, which normally would be compensated by about 10% from the rest of the portfolio. However bankruptcies, except in the case of fraud, are easy to avoid, as companies usually make losses over a few years before it finally happens.
    From what I understand 85% of funds under perform when compared to the FTSE 100. Might as well buy a FTSE 100 or 250 tracker EFT ishare.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    Anthony Bolton is still the fund manager of the original Special Sits fund but since they split the holding the other special sits fund run by Jorma Korhonen has done less well. Still good performers though and made me some money. In my opinion.
    Wasn't he the Jefferson Airplane guitarist?

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Originally posted by LGDT
    Most of Fidelity top-performers were overseen by Anthony Bolton who was a star fund manager for many years. I think since his retirement a couple of years ago performance has dropped off.
    Anthony Bolton is still the fund manager of the original Special Sits fund but since they split the holding the other special sits fund run by Jorma Korhonen has done less well. Still good performers though and made me some money. In my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by RightLaugh
    Anyone spread betting?
    Yep, had a couple of quid on Apple for the last three weeks, finally came right yesterday

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Investment funds are good, however you can gain an extra 2 or 3% long-term by cutting out their charges. An alternative is to subscribe to some Investment Research. Standard & Poor for example, and select your own stocks, from their recommendations. An advantage here is you can set your own risk level, and its more fun . After a crash you can nimbly rush into a market and you always make a killing 5 years later. Keep enough cash to be able to dive in when the markets crash, this happens at least once a decade, and there is usually a severe correction at least every 5 years (my experience).

I had about 10 stocks originally and that went well I now have 30 or 40 stocks, and never put more than 5% in any one stock. That means worst case a bankruptcy would cost me 5%, which normally would be compensated by about 10% from the rest of the portfolio. However bankruptcies, except in the case of fraud, are easy to avoid, as companies usually make losses over a few years before it finally happens.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up on Fidelity, I am only doing this with spare cash. Putting my pension fund on the Lotto this week 16 million.

Leave a comment:

• LGDT
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked
    What do you think about Fidelity, I had an account with them when I was in Germany, it seem to do ok.

Most of Fidelity top-performers were overseen by Anthony Bolton who was a star fund manager for many years. I think since his retirement a couple of years ago performance has dropped off.

FWIW – and remember I am not qualified to give advice, investments can go down as well as up, do your own research etc – my current 2 main plays are:

http://www.trustnet.co.uk/ut/funds/?fund=4840 (fund of funds for providing income which rolls up alongside capital growth)

http://www.trustnet.co.uk/it/funds/?fund=45082 – star performer for the last 6 years. Ireland’s economy does all the things we used to do before NL got into power and this gives great exposure.

Leave a comment:

• ~Craig~
    replied
    just been onto the Hargreaves Lansdown website and they have some pdf guides you can download which even made sense to me!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    What do you think about Fidelity, I had an account with them when I was in Germany, it seem to do ok.

Leave a comment:

• LGDT
    replied
    Originally posted by brownie74
    whats pound/cost averaging?

wont transaction costs clobber you if you invest more regularly?
    The problem with most amateur investors (and I'm one remember) is that they try to call the top and bottom of the market before making investment decisions.

The key with stock markets is time not timing. There's an algorithm somewhere that shows if you'd been out of the market for something like a one month a year for the last 50 years you would have missed out on 80% of the growth.

So logically, they key is to invest amounts regularly (into your ISA or pension if you have one) to spread your exposure and take advantage of the dips as well as benefiting from the spikes. This is what is known as pound/cost averaging.

WRT to transaction costs – it all depends on your strategy. For the most part I’ve avoided specific plays on single stocks and preferred to use collective investments like unit and investment trusts. For unit trusts I use Hargreaves Lansdown who discount the bulk of the bid/offer spread and annual management charges from the fund manager in return for a small annual commission. With investment trusts, which are quoted shares on the FTSE, I deal direct with the fund manager as they usually offer a savings plan that keeps the admin and purchase costs to a minimum.

But it’s cheap enough to deal monthly in specific shares using online brokers.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    LGDT, I think we need a bit of a master class on this ?

Leave a comment:

• brownie74
    replied
    invest regularly?

whats pound/cost averaging?

wont transaction costs clobber you if you invest more regularly?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X