• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Another example of the nimbys stopping business growth and jobs"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    Old Boy,

let's see what everything thinks cometh the house price crash and no jobs to see people through the recession

having said that, fingers crossed there will not be a recession and Gordon the chosen one will continue to massage his economic miracle and long may the economic stability that so many have enjoyed for so long continue

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    If you've got a back yard that big, you can afford to move.
    I wonder if anyone ever accepts the nimbyism argument when the development in question actually is in their back yard (not literally in their back yard):

'Well, I wouldn't really want a rubbish incinerator next dooe, what with the effect on my house price and the traffic and the smell and the kids' health, but I wouldn't want to be a nimby about it so go ahead.'

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    It is if it's in your back yard.
    If you've got a back yard that big, you can afford to move.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    NIMBYism is never a good excuse - even for nuclear power stations.
    It is if it's in your back yard.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Ok, so I live near-ish to Manchester airport - there are quite a few prime places it could expand into (Wythenshawe?) - however, I do believe that places such as Leeds/Bradford airport and Liverpool airport should be given the chance to grow. Airlines such as EasyJet and Ryanair are virtually blocked out of Manchester due to dodgy airline tricks with gates and the high charges too. Mega-airports like Heathrow become unwieldly (spelling? sorry) and are also single points of failure - if there's a bomb scare at Heathrow, loads of flights grind to a halt. Decentralisation of air travel is important, and it might even reduce this 'captive shopping centre' approach of most modern airports: make you check in 2 hours before the flight, so you're obliged to wander round overpriced shops and probably end up buying something, when all you want to do is get to the effin destination.

NIMBYism is never a good excuse - even for nuclear power stations.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    yes you do you're just in denial !

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    at last some consensus and the UK has the chance to have the biggest and all the £$£ it brings

you see lads, everyone agrees with Milan in the end

Milan.
    I don't!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    at last some consensus and the UK has the chance to have the biggest and all the £$£ it brings

you see lads, everyone agrees with Milan in the end

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    it will happen that one of the airports in europe will become the biggest and a hub from which further distribution to other european destinations is completed
    That is 2 statements, not 1.

There will be a biggest, no doubt. Will there be a hub? Maybe not.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    he he

and don't I know it

anyway back to the subject in hand, it's seems the conclusion is... who cares

future's bright lads.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    pondlife, I hope you are working in the correct sid and client !

I have to say lads, I love ASP

Milan.

Of course, that would be a schoolboy error of the worst sort.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    pondlife, I hope you are working in the correct sid and client !

I have to say lads, I love ASP

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

ok, sea ports, europe has many busy sea ports, but which is the biggest ?

Rotterdam ? Hamburg ?
    Am currently sat in Hamburg and can confirm that the port is HUUUGE! and apparently Rotterdam is bigger.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

anyway, as long as house prices keep rising who cares right ?

Milan.
    What are you on about, we are 4 years into a "crash"!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    he he afternoon Shaun, how's life ?

you must be getting old or tired cos that response was crap

why do I care I don't really, things are fine in my pond, I just feel sad for my countrymen when I see short sightedness prevailing

anyway, as long as house prices keep rising who cares right ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X