• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Work: Would you breach your contract?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by barry_abs
    correct.. the precise wording is that i cannot work for a competitor with 20 miles, within 12 months - i.e. another company in the trade.
    If that is the exact wording, then there is no chance that this would stand up in court. As far as I can see, the much more restrictive part is the 12 months rather than the distance.

If you are seen as a disguised employee (i.e. IR35 caught), then umbrella or limited probably makes no difference to you take home. If not, then go limited, as on a 12 month contract, you should avoid the problems you had with your last contract.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I'm sure the finders fee/12%+ cut of thier fee has absolutely no bearing on it at all
    perish the thought

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I do a great deal of placating worried contractors who are leaving jobs and are concerned that they have to serve out 3 months notice, go to a competitor/customer etc etc. as long as they do'nt take the p*** they should be OK. I do this for them not for me
    I'm sure the finders fee/12%+ cut of thier fee has absolutely no bearing on it at all

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    Listen to DA, he knows what he's talking about!! He normally tries to do it to the people he pimps out
    I do a great deal of placating worried contractors who are leaving jobs and are concerned that they have to serve out 3 months notice, go to a competitor/customer etc etc. as long as they do'nt take the p*** they should be OK. I do this for them not for me

Leave a comment:

• barry_abs
    replied
    Companies will only take action if you are really taking the p*** or are hitting their pockets hard.
    i am doing both..

taking the piss: gratuitously leaving my employers to work on the customer project directly, taking all the money for myself. **** the middle man.

hitting pockets: i already earned Company A a fortune from Company B. Company A sub-contracted me to Company B for a year, previously. Now Company B are dependent on me. Me leaving Company A will lose the small fortune they anticipated earning for my second 12 month term.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    if Co B are a customer of Co A the OP will probably come across people from Co A that he used to work with at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    How would cojmpany A find out you were now working for Company B down the road

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Unless you going is a real threat to their business they will not bother. it is more trouble than it is worth. Companies will only take action if you are really taking the p*** or are hitting their pockets hard. A lot of these contract terms are there to scare people and to give protection in extreme circumstances
    Listen to DA, he knows what he's talking about!! He normally tries to do it to the people he pimps out

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    this is pissing me off..

i've just handed my notice in (as a permie) at Company A.. Company B, down the road, are currently a customer of Company A.. Company B want me and have offered a very lucrative, 12 month contract - all ready to go and sign.

HOWEVER! in working for Company B, i'd breach two of my contract constraints with Company A:

"Thou shalt not work with 20 miles of our office"

"Thou shalt not work for one of our customers"

What are my chances of getting this job? Are these constraints worth the paper they are written on?
    Unless you going is a real threat to their business they will not bother. it is more trouble than it is worth. Companies will only take action if you are really taking the p*** or are hitting their pockets hard. A lot of these contract terms are there to scare people and to give protection in extreme circumstances

Leave a comment:

• barry_abs
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Can you imagine if that could be enforced and u were in London. You'd be fooked.
    correct.. the precise wording is that i cannot work for a competitor with 20 miles, within 12 months - i.e. another company in the trade.

Leave a comment:

• XTC
    replied
    [QUOTE=barry_abs]

"Thou shalt not work with 20 miles of our office"
    QUOTE]

Can you imagine if that could be enforced and u were in London. You'd be fooked.

Leave a comment:

• barry_abs
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Another poor misguided soul.
    good day, sir

On what basis is working for somone else more hassle and less flexible than working for yourself?
    everything was going fine with my Ltd. until we moved house.. i was forced to go back into permieship after just 3 months.. i sacked my accountants and decided to dissolve and complete my tax year paperwork myself..

i just thought i'd try brollying if i were to contract again.. and it were viable, and not too expensive..

FWIW using an umbrella shouldn't be a problem. Expensive and restrictive, but not a problem...
    hmm.. i don't want my takehome murdered..
    Last edited by barry_abs; 6 July 2007, 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    thanks for the feedback guys.. the general consensus seems that point A is horsetulip, point B is dodgeable if i work through a Ltd.

Do you think i'll be ok working through a brolly? I've done the Ltd. thing before and hated it (not as flexible, more hassle).

thanks

Another poor misguided soul. On what basis is working for somone else more hassle and less flexible than working for yourself?

FWIW using an umbrella shouldn't be a problem. Expensive and restrictive, but not a problem...

Leave a comment:

• barry_abs
    replied
    thanks for the feedback guys.. the general consensus seems that point A is horsetulip, point B is dodgeable if i work through a Ltd.

Do you think i'll be ok working through a brolly? I've done the Ltd. thing before and hated it (not as flexible, more hassle).

thanks

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    HOWEVER! in working for Company B, i'd breach two of my contract constraints with Company A:
    You had a contract with Company A... some company you craete is going to have a contract with Company B... seperate legal entities.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X