• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "House prices rise in June"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt
    Too risky for me mate.
    <juvenile>

Scaredey cat. na na nana naaa

</juvenile>

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    You think the value of a fund/unit trust can't approach zero?

That is what a stop loss is for - pick an amount you're willing to lose and set your stops accordingly.

I don't need to look it up, I already know it.
    The problem with this is simple. Set your stop loss small, so you don't stand to lose much, and the tiniest blip down will close your position and you have lost the money.

Set it large, and you can go down the pan big time.

Too risky for me mate.

I'll settle for BTL where the gains are huge, year after year and the losses only come round every 20 years or so.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by pickle
    And all gains are tax free.
    Probably the best thing about it...

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Yes there is. Spreadbetting is leveraged. You can lose a LOT more than your initial bet.
    You think the value of a fund/unit trust can't approach zero?

That is what a stop loss is for - pick an amount you're willing to lose and set your stops accordingly.

Look it up.
    I don't need to look it up, I already know it.

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    Yes there is. Spreadbetting is leveraged. You can lose a LOT more than your initial bet.

Look it up.
    But you CAN choose the size of your initial bet, to make it the equivelant of holding the same phsyical underlying position. And all gains are tax free.

Its obviously not for the financially dense, but for the go getting contractor its a must!

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Don't be such a scaredey cat...

There is no difference between buying a FTSE 100 linked fund or placing an up bet on the FTSE 100 with cantor or whoever.

Look it up.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Or put your £10K on a 3 legged blind horse at odds of 1000/1 and reap a cool £10,000,000 profit.

Easier than spreadbetting and you will lose no more than your original sum.

Spread betting, for those will unlimited money to lose.
    Don't be such a scaredey cat...

There is no difference between buying a FTSE 100 linked fund or placing an up bet on the FTSE 100 with cantor or whoever.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Have you got 4 kids?!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    well two are mine, two are my GF, my ex also had two kids (my step kids)

Leave a comment:

• pickle
    replied
    Or you could leverage your 10K to do some spread betting - IMHO a much easier way to invest in the indices.
    Yep, I think finspreads require margin as low as 1.5% on the ftse.

So I can buy a cool million's worth of ftse tracker for just 15k deposit.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Or put your £10K on a 3 legged blind horse at odds of 1000/1 and reap a cool £10,000,000 profit.

writing options another great way to lose money.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Or you could leverage your 10K to do some spread betting - IMHO a much easier way to invest in the indices.

Leave a comment:

• Let-Me-In
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    Presumably if you want to avoid apples and pears, you buy a bungalow.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    The leveraged gains on BTL can be positive, but...if you invest 10K in a house worth 100K and it goes down by 20% you have -£20,000. Yes you have a house worth £80,000 but then you have a loan of £100,000. Whereas if you plonk 10 grand on the stock market and it goes down 50% you still have £5000, which is decidely better than £-20000. ...and yes a single stock can go to 0, but then you don't invest in single shares; lets say you invest in a fund representing the FTSE 100, as far as I know the FTSE has been up and down but I've never known it to go to 0, not yet.

So basically in whatever asset category you choose you can take a high risk or a low risk. So leverage is one thing the other is what return you expect on the asset itself. I mean you can always mortgage your house and put the proceeds on the stock market.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    The main problem with the BTL millionaires are that they must sell the property to make the cash.

Now this if fine if people sold at a steady rate/ However the first time a property show called s"elling your house before the crash" comes on they will sell in droves and this is what I think will cause the normalisation.

I reckon it will "tip" when the rates hit 6.25%
    indeed - remember all the dot com paper millionaires?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The leveraged gains on BTL can be positive, but...if you invest 10K in a house worth 100K and it goes down by 20% you have -£20,000. Yes you have a house worth £80,000 but then you have a loan of £100,000. Whereas if you plonk 10 grand on the stock market and it goes down 50% you still have £5000, which is decidely better than £-20000. ...and yes a single stock can go to 0, but then you don't invest in single shares; lets say you invest in a fund representing the FTSE 100, as far as I know the FTSE has been up and down but I've never known it to go to 0, not yet.

So basically in whatever asset category you choose you can take a high risk or a low risk. So leverage is one thing the other is what return you expect on the asset itself. I mean you can always mortgage your house and put the proceeds on the stock market.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X