• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Royals, Yes or No

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Royals, Yes or No"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    One Mars bar a year, or a Queen!!! I know which i'd rather have.....

For she's a Queen,
    and such are queens
    That your laughter
    is sucked in their brains

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Ooo best get rid of them them, I mean 10p i was happy with but a whole 67p a year!!!

I could buy a... erm well i could always get um... I know I could get a Mars bar for that. One Mars bar a year, or a Queen!!! I know which i'd rather have.....

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    More fuel for the anti royalists

The article also mentions that the Queen costs each person £0.67 per year.
    Last edited by Clippy; 29 June 2007, 13:22.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    The aquaduct
    Sanitation
    The roads
    Irrigation
    Medicine
    Education
    And the wine
    Public baths
    And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.
    Yeah, remember what it used to be like.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    What have the Romans ever done for us?
    The aquaduct
    Sanitation
    The roads
    Irrigation
    Medicine
    Education
    And the wine
    Public baths
    And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    So we should do what ?

Share it out amoungst the people ?
    Sell it off to pay off some of the national debt (kind of the same thing).

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    It sounds like we may be in some kind of agreement as to how they came to own what they do, but not about what to do about it?
    So we should do what ?

Share it out amoungst the people ?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Well all the armed forces (myself included) pledged the oath the the queen and not the PM!

She could just organise a takeover.
    You may pledge an oath to the queen but who exercises the power of commander-in-chief on her behalf? The PM.

If you want the queen in power, then logically you accept the hereditary priniciple so that when the monarch dies, all those powers pass to thei heir, who may be a fool, psychopath, criminal etc. - and who cannot be removed at the next election.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Well all the armed forces (myself included) pledged the oath the the queen and not the PM!

She could just organise a takeover.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Same. I like to think there is a higher power (other than a religous vision) that could keep gordo in check.

Feck it we should dissolve the parliment and go back to the queen ruiling the world.
    The problem with the higher power argument is that the royal perogative is exercised by the prime minister on behalf of the monarch - one of these powers being the right to declare war - good summary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Perogative
    As things stand, there is no democratic mechanism to check the prime minister's executive powers, and this is a hangover from the days of absolute monarchy. BTW, I'm not saying that this is in itself an absolute argument for abolishing the royal family, but it does cause real problems.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Very pro royalist here, what does everybody else think.
    Same. I like to think there is a higher power (other than a religous vision) that could keep gordo in check.

Feck it we should dissolve the parliment and go back to the queen ruiling the world.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    That is how people came to own property a couple of thousand years ago. It still happens today.

We stole a large chunk of land from the middle east and called it israel and gave it to the jewish people.

America stole huge chunks of land from the native americans and built up a superpower.

Every war over territory is essentially stealing land for personal gain and for money.
    It sounds like we may be in some kind of agreement as to how they came to own what they do, but not about what to do about it?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I know my history a little. The land and money was essentially stolen for personal gain. Different from taxation in a democracy for public spending (whatever we may think of the government and their taxation and public spending policies).
    That is how people came to own property a couple of thousand years ago. It still happens today.

We stole a large chunk of land from the middle east and called it israel and gave it to the jewish people.

America stole huge chunks of land from the native americans and built up a superpower.

Every war over territory is essentially stealing land for personal gain and for money.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Well a couple of centuries ago.....

Come on you know some history. they got thier money by running the country and taxing the people in the country much like the government of today does now. Does that make our government parasites? (hmm i'm probably not helping my argument here...)
    I know my history a little. The land and money was essentially stolen for personal gain. Different from taxation in a democracy for public spending (whatever we may think of the government and their taxation and public spending policies).

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    But where did they get the family get their money from in the first place? You can be pretty sure it wasn't an honest day's work - not that any of us would know much about that.
    Well a couple of centuries ago.....

Come on you know some history. they got thier money by running the country and taxing the people in the country much like the government of today does now. Does that make our government parasites? (hmm i'm probably not helping my argument here...)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X