• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I'm back

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I'm back"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Oh...

I see what happenned...

i almost did exactly the same thing SA.. your not alone

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Oh...

I see what happenned...

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by el duder View Post
    who the **** are you?

****** puto.

**** off.
    Duder!!!!!!!!

You're back?!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    They are lucky to get paid at all considering how much time they spend on this board

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    and the beeps (or not) as the phones get put on the receiver are a bit of a giveaway. how long did it take you to find this old thread?
    Last edited by DS23; 25 September 2008, 13:10. Reason: ibeforee

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    makes 100% sense

what's the problem ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    OMG it's June 1997 again. Quick, buy a property and some shares, they're BOOMING!

Leave a comment:

• Theinformer
    replied
    and something else for you guys. i dont know if i posted it before.

you noticed how the XX group like to arrange telephone interviews with you already on the line and then call the client? or vice versa. then leave the conversation?

well, in truth we dont leave the conversation.

we are always still listening on mute. we do this to get all the questions down.

we always make the weaker candidate interview first, then give the stronger candidate the questions that were asked so they get 100%.

if there is only 1 interview, the listening in gives us a chance to listen in to see exactly whats going on and blag both sides if you have any worries.

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I'm not trying to criticise in any way, and I do understand that if you have dependents then everything needs to be done that much more carefully - but still, short-term financial planning shouldn't be that difficult; even something like having a credit card with a few grand on it ready to use in emergencies counts.

I'd be interested to know where it is that going perm is more difficult than getting a contract though..? I was thinking it depends more on industry sector.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "Permanent jobs are much easier to get than contracts, IME"

Depends where you live

"I'm not (usually) one of the £400/day people either, and I started on £20/hr - but that was still enough to be able to build up a buffer."

I'm not saying that it isn't. But not everybody is like you. I don't know if you have a family or a mortgage, but when you have a lot of outgoings and not much comming in, then going from a weekly pay to a monthly one can be tough. Especially tough if you go from one which pays weekly to one which pays monthly, and 30 days after the timesheet is signed (8 weeks)

I'm not one of the £400 per day people, but I'm not a £20/hour one either. I found it hard to move from a fairly crap paying job to the one I'm on now because they had this sit on the payment for 30 days after the month going on.

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I think you might find that there are some out there where short term and badly paid contract work is the only thing open to them. Not everybody is a £400 a day person you know.
    Well, maybe - but I don't know that sector, whatever it is.. Permanent jobs are much easier to get than contracts, IME. I'm not (usually) one of the £400/day people either, and I started on £20/hr - but that was still enough to be able to build up a buffer.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "Anyone who isn't on a good enough rate to justify the risk just shouldn't bother contracting."

I think you might find that there are some out there where short term and badly paid contract work is the only thing open to them. Not everybody is a £400 a day person you know.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    yeah yeah... the only good programmer in liverpool is me coops!

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
    We all started somewhere mate...
    Yep i started at the top and that is where i have remained.

It does however mean there is only one way from here..........and that is.........even further up as i'm that good YEAH BABY

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    Well.. Anyone who isn't on a good enough rate to justify the risk just shouldn't bother contracting. And anyone whose rate is OK should recognise that the risk is part of the bargain, and financially plan accordingly.
    We all started somewhere mate...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X