• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jeremy Clarkson on Glastonbury"

Collapse

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Clarkson is my age so I doubt he actually got to see many of the groups he is going on about.
    Last edited by OrangeHopper; 30 June 2007, 16:50.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Originally posted by Hart-floot
    But the Arcade Fire were so cool
    They are growing on me.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    Originally posted by Hart-floot
    Aye, with you on that one Hart-floot!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Aye

Cowboy Bob - in fact I did have the distinction of seeing System7 with Steve Hillage few years back at WOMAD Rivermead - an excellent electro dance performance - in fact WOMAD Rivermead is a reall music lover's festival - one for the conniseur really.

I have been dissapointed by the rather lacklustre performance at Glast - but will not be downheatened - rather it is now time to launch for the most sensational popular musical act this decade - AJ Pruffock and the DangleBerrys (c).

The DangleBerrys (or the Dangs as the fans call them ) offer an eclectic heady mix of sonic power and hard hitting social commentary from the celebrity frontman AJ Pruffock.

The debut single 'Couldnt Give A Sh1t' with the controversial B side 'Paying for the Pensioners (sick and tired of...) ' is already sold out - even though the tracks have not yet been recorded .

Even more remarkable - Tony Blair recent demands for the DangleBerrys to be banned for the sake of Decency and the National Interest - have only fueled demand for this controversial band whom are to head next years Glasgowberry along with Garcia's the Grateful Dead.

Look out World.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 June 2007, 10:53.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    To be fair to the bands the sound system on the main stage was p1ss-poor and I thought the Kaiser Chiefs made a reasonable job of their set. It was funny watching them fidgeting while being interviewed by the BBC droids - they obviously wanted to go and watch The Who

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    Interesting - I had the same impression of Glast - they all seemed tired.

Kaiser Chiefs must be the most appaling act Ive seen for years.

All in All - you're just another brick in the Wall.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by pisces
    Only Iggy and The Who looked worthwhile from the TV. CSS looked quite good too. Even The Manics sounded tired. **** The Killers and The Kaiser Chiefs and every other indy pop act designed for kids. Meaningless drivel or as they put it themselves, everything is average nowadays.
    Interesting - I had the same impression of Glast - they all seemed tired.

I first saw the Who at Greens Playhouse in Glasgow back in 1975 (or was it 1976) anyway for my second concert it was an amazing experience - and here they are after 30 years still playing - the sad aspect was that they (even though Daltrey cant sing like he used to -unlike Pete ) put the younger bands to shame - Townsend even mustered some blistering guitar solos - something a lot to the newer bands seem incapable of - and they knew how to pen a good tune.

Kaiser Chiefs must be the most appaling act Ive seen for years.

All in All - you're just another brick in the Wall.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 June 2007, 09:11.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    This thread is what happens when folk from different age groups "discuss" music.

Loving the comments at the end of the article too - made me laugh more than Clarkson...

Jeremy, I bet you sound just like your father did 30 years ago - " they don't make em like they used to....", "this modern music is a racket..." etc.

I'm almost the same age as you and whilst our generation were responsible for The Who, Led Zep etc. etc we must also share the blame for The Bay City Rollers, The Goombay Dance Band, Disco ( all of it), and even possibly Scott Aitken and Waterman, plus many many more.

As well as "useless, talentless ne'er do-wells " there are a host of great rock and punk orientated bands around today ( mainly American unfortunately ) who don't have a political or eco agenda.

Now that the male menopause has well and truly hit here's a few ideas for next weeks column - 1) How food tasted better in my day 2) Kids aren't as respectful as they used to be. 3) Why middle age has not narrowed my outlook as much as it has broadened my waist.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    What he is actually saying is that all of you stupid sods who were too young to be going to rock concerts in the 60s and early 70s know nothing about rock or indeed about anything at all. Only those of us who were at the Isle of White and took all our clothes off man and saw Dillon and er er various people know anything about absolutely anything at all wow. Not that I was there of course, much too young.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    One year we were at Glastonbury (late 80s) and we pitched up alongside a couple of guys. The first night we got the campfire going, invited them over and smoked them out. Next day one of them comes over, says they were there to sell a whole load of whizz that weekend but they'd spilt a load on their tent floor. It had bits of grit in so they couldn't sell it (grits not good for the nose) so would we like it. Of course we said yes and mixed it into a gallon of homemade parsnip wine we'd grabbed from some stall somewhere. Two days later I remember coming round in front of Asterix In Britain in the cinema marquee with no idea where anyone I knew was. Don't have any idea what bands I saw that weekend, but I'm pretty sure I had a good time...

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    [QUOTE=chubba]
    See some of the most bizarre and amusing sights at that time of the morning too. Although some of it may have been hallucinations
    QUOTE]

indeed.

my one and only glastonbury festival experiance was 85. that was a wet one and no mistake.

i woke on the saturday morning wet and er.. wet. there was no base to the tent and we were lying in our sleeping bags on a floor of mud where the night before had been soft grass. i lifted my head and the first thing i saw was a gathering of slugs that had been nestling right next to my mouth. nice.

i was first awake, it was early - must have been 6 or 7, i just poked my head out of the tent to greet the day and get some air. one solitary female figure was very slowly squelching along. she stopped just before our tent, i thought one of her shoes must have become stuck but then realised that she wasn't wearing any shoes. odd. she stood in the ooze, spread he legs, hitched up her skirt and urinated, copiously, into the mud.

i used to recall the whole weekend lineup and who i'd seen, what they were like, blah, blah but nowadays i can't hardly remember anything about it but that one incident. god we got stoned though and had nowhere near enough beer money.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I wasn't of course...
    Don't tell me... you were at Woodstock??? oh... no that was 69' maan

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You had to be there, man...
    One of my favourite festival memories was at the IOW fest in 2006, just when I thought it was all over I started to stumble (pi55ed and stoned) back to my tent when the sky lit up with fireworks and 'All Along the Watchtower' was blasted out from the main stage speaker system, they love Hendrix there.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    Only Iggy and The Who looked worthwhile from the TV. CSS looked quite good too. Even The Manics sounded tired. **** The Killers and The Kaiser Chiefs and every other indy pop act designed for kids. Meaningless drivel or as they put it themselves, everything is average nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Festivals will always be muddy, smelly, and noisy, it’s funny how so many people complain about how they are not what they used to be? I went to Watchfield in 75’ when I was 4 and all I can remember is watching a bunch of saggy titted naked hippies on stage banging tambourines and the toilets being just a big 5hit pit with metal seats around the edge so I cannot begin to imagine what the IOW festival in 1970 was like when .5 million people turned up!! Rose tinted glasses spring to mind.

These days the IOW festival is still quite charming compared to most though I didn't go this year as the wife is pregnant and festivals are not the best place when you need to keep clean and can't drink.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X