• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone manage without broadband?"

Collapse

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105
    I can't be bothered with downloading and all the other stuff you are supposed to do online and, to be honest, tend to use the client's net access more than my own.

I was looking at pay as yo go broadband but I'm now seriously thinking of just getting free dial up, freeview box and telling Branson to sod off.

Am I mad (as well as tight)?

Got it!
    Buy ( Sorry tightwad) I meant pinch long Ethernet cable
    Peddle round to AtW's,
    Drill hole in wall
    Free broadband!

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Sorted

Nah! does'nt realy work, tried it last night.

Anybody want to buy a wet laptop, one owner, very clean?

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver
    Shimano105

1. Gaffa tape laptop to bikes handlebars
    2. Wait til nightfall
    3. Peddle round the neighbourhood
    4. Find some div with an unsecured wi-fi (Not Wife!)
    5. Bingo!! "free Broadband"
    Sorted

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Shimano105

1. Gaffa tape laptop to bikes handlebars
    2. Wait til nightfall
    3. Peddle round the neighbourhood
    4. Find some div with an unsecured wi-fi (Not Wife!)
    5. Bingo!! "free Broadband"

Leave a comment:

• floatsy
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Life without Broadband - horrible thought, will have to go and lie down now and that means discounting the client an hour of billable time.
    And totally agree. I went over broadband limit once and it slowed down to a rate that was 'unacceptable'. "I can't take it!!!" scream would be about right. But think how spoilt we are nowadays, sheesh.

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    will have to go and lie down now and that means discounting the client an hour of billable time.
    I nearly just spat water all over my desk! Funniest post yet today!

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    I can't be bothered with downloading and all the other stuff you are supposed to do online and, to be honest, tend to use the client's net access more than my own.

I was looking at pay as yo go broadband but I'm now seriously thinking of just getting free dial up, freeview box and telling Branson to sod off.

Am I mad (as well as tight)?
    Life without Broadband - horrible thought, will have to go and lie down now and that means discounting the client an hour of billable time.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I could be, Dave, if your name isn't really Dave...

Well at the Weekends I'm Shirley......

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    I never drink vodka.
    Me neither. I just take the shot glass and place it over my eye and take it in that way.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I never drink vodka.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    Shaking hands with the President.
    Meeting Madam Palm and her 5 lovely daugters

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    five nuckle shuffle.
    Shaking hands with the President.

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    I can't argue with that my vodka-addled friend.

But rather than being as binary in your thoughts, consider that I am making a distinction between work based use (where broadband is essential) and personal use (where for me it is just a nice to have).

Actually, I am more interested in the pay as you go option - does anyone have experience of this?

Maybe my contracting side just hates the idea of signing up for anything long term...

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    Indeed.

five nuckle shuffle.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Good things not all people in IT are like shimano - otherwise we'd still use black and white print-outs on teletypes rather than colour LCDs. My primary browsing broadband line failed and I have to use backup broadband line, which is not as fast and it makes me

Leave a comment:

Working...
X