• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hotels when on contracts"

Collapse

• basshead
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    I tend to stay in nice(ish) hotels to be honest - it's the only way I can cope with being away from home. ...

you have to do what keeps you from going insane.

Same here. Stayed in niceish rented place for a while on my last stint away but then got lonely and jealous of the Morse consultants who were at the same client who were staying in serviced apartments and having a laugh eating together every night etc, so I moved in there, and yes I did blag the client's corporate rate

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Thanks (I know I should have searched the forums, so I appreciate it )

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    Interesting. Should YourCo add VAT on top of costs incurred when it sends the invoice to Client?
    Yes, it's a service you're giving the client so VAT is expected. As it drips down the line the end consumer pays it just like normal VAT. The consumer in this case being the client.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    No, because there is no tax relief being claimed. The expenses paid to YourCo. by the client count as revenue for YourCo and are therefore taxable.

Since the amount paid out to you by YourCo. as expenses equals the amount paid to YourCo. by the client there is no net expenditure to qualify for relief.
    Interesting. Should YourCo add VAT on top of costs incurred when it sends the invoice to Client?

Leave a comment:

• crimdon
    replied
    I've not wored away from home yet as I'm still new to contracting but I'm looking to try and get something in the southeast.

Was thinking of renting a flat purely because hotels charge a fortune for intenet access. What do the rest of you do?

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Travelodge for me at £15 per night in advance. Luckily there are loads in the area.

OK pretty basic, but tend to be clean and I have joined a local health club so for £45 per month I get the gym, pool & sauna - overall works out cheaper than big hotel with own pool.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    No, because there is no tax relief being claimed. The expenses paid to YourCo. by the client count as revenue for YourCo and are therefore taxable.

Since the amount paid out to you by YourCo. as expenses equals the amount paid to YourCo. by the client there is no net expenditure to qualify for relief.
    Ta, This is what I would have expected.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    You mean you get tax relief on expenses that are reinbursed by the client. Surely that is fraud?

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    No. YourCo charges Daily Rate + Expenses for your time to the client.

You Claim the expenses from YourCo. YourCo gets the expenses from the Client, so there is no final discrepancy between the two when calculating CT.

If you claim expenses directly from the client then it's a different matter and one that has some serious implications.
    Surely that means you cannot get tax relief on expenses that are reinbursed by the client or you are commiting fraud?
    Last edited by Numptycorner; 21 June 2007, 13:43.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Surely getting paid expenses by the client means Yourco cannot offset the expenses against tax. Surely also this makes you vulnerable to IR35 investigation as Yourco should be paying expenses and not the client, or it looks like an employer/employee relationship with the client.

No. YourCo charges Daily Rate + Expenses for your time to the client.

You Claim the expenses from YourCo. YourCo gets the expenses from the Client, so there is no final discrepancy between the two when calculating CT.

If you claim expenses directly from the client then it's a different matter and one that has some serious implications.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23
    big clients frequently take months and months to pay expenses back and the exposure can become horrendous.
    Surely getting paid expenses by the client means Yourco cannot offset the expenses against tax. Surely also this makes you vulnerable to IR35 investigation as Yourco should be paying expenses and not the client, or it looks like an employer/employee relationship with the client.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    i'm with sa on this. rental might be more cost effective but utilities, cleaning, the risk of contract termination but a rental that rolls on, plus when abroad you get the extra resident taxation issues.

i use to do the big chain loyalty thing using client rates and claim it all back. nice and comfortable but still expensive. big clients frequently take months and months to pay expenses back and the exposure can become horrendous.

i'm all in now and doing budget hotels, bigger lunch, snack evening meal, fewer beers... every little cut improves the bottom line.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I rented just outside of Munich once but it was a right pain, now I either use pubs (or Gastaette if you like) although I'm currently in a serviced apartment most of the time. In between I do the loyalty card thing, which is nice, and charge to the client.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I've rented a couple of times in the past but I'd never do it again - even on a long term gig. The money I save just isn't worth the hassle of sorting out all the utility bills and stuff.

Plus the last place stung me for a grands damage deposit.

I tend to stay in nice(ish) hotels to be honest - it's the only way I can cope with being away from home. I hate busy-body women talking to me first thing in the morning, so B&B's are out.
    Ideal would be say £60 a night with a swimming pool, room service and unlimited chick flicks on the pay per view.

Obviously I'd rather pay £13 a night than £100, but I think you have to do what keeps you from going insane.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Though if the lonely old widow is a well preserved 50, then great fun might be had by all....

Dunno what it is luv,,,but it needs ironing!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X