• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "5-day weather forecast"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Believe it or not, Adolf Hitler had a 100% weather forcasting record, he was fond of saying 'tomorrow it vill either rain, or it vill not"

its all about presentation you see

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I don't think a percentage is complicated, and I'm sure there are times when they're certain it'll be nice and dry and other times when it's really 50/50.. It'd just be nice to know which is which.

Didn't know they used to do it... Foiled by morons yet again!

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Scorchio.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    The solution is to go and live somewhere where the weather is very predictable such as northern africa or the middle east. I believe that parts of central USA are like that too.

I'd hate it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    I want to see a "% confidence" next to every weather forecast. Why do they not do this already?
    Because life is complicated enough already. Besides, the % confidence figure would be as meaningless as the forecast itself.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by timh
    I want to see a "% confidence" next to every weather forecast. Why do they not do this already?
    They used to do that on Radio Five weather reports in the early nineties. I though it was a great idea. Something like:

Central England, max 20 degrees, 10% chance of rain, etc

They dropped it because too many listeners didn't understand it. They just wanted to know "whether it was going to rain or not" !!!

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard1974uk
    We have no control over the weather, mother nature does that.
    I know, but why should having no control over the weather stop me complaining about inaccurate forecasting?

That's like having no control over the railways stopping me complaining when the trains aren't running to the published timetable.

We pay the wages of weathermen to... (etc, etc)

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    what p*sses me off is the fact that it rains so damn much in this country...and noone does a damn thing about it!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule
    ...I'd say they get it right 75% of the time...
    <aside> Do more research before posting </aside>

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/weather.html

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Simple. Most people use the long distance weather forecast to plan an event ahead of time.

If the forecasters can change the long distance forecast on any given day, what is the bloody point of the forecast?

You may as well just trust to luck.
    Yes, in weather like this you may as well.

Long range forecasting is hard, and I'd say they get it right 75% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    I've found that the best display of the weather is on that big screen that most rooms have on the wall. It shows if it's sunny or rainy exactly where you are. Amazingly accurate. Don't know how they do that. Must be Web 2.0 or something.
    No, it's just plain Windows.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    I've found that the best display of the weather is on that big screen that most rooms have on the wall. It shows if it's sunny or rainy exactly where you are. Amazingly accurate. Don't know how they do that. Must be Web 2.0 or something.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    Mother Nature does not exist. You might as well pray to Batman.
    Aye.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard1974uk
    We have no control over the weather, mother nature does that.
    Mother Nature does not exist. You might as well pray to Batman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X