• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looking to hire a couple of grads with no IT experience"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran
    Payback time on a bright graduate to cover support autonomously, in my experience is 6 months, getting them to think like an engineer not a student takes approx 20% of the time in the first 2 months. After that you can let them cope with most end user problems with only occasional guidance. To get a good all round support person takes a couple of years.
    Thanks for that Vetran. It is about getting them to think the right way isn't it.
    Reminds me of when Clint Eastwood tried to fly the firefox and made a right hash of it until his mentor told him that he had to "think russian" (the language of the computer code that flew it) after which the plane flew with great ease and accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    This sound like another example of the abused becoming a serial abuser!

I bet you treat all contractors like dirt as well.
    You may have a point there.
    But firstly I havn't hardly got started yet - I'm still doing my permie job prior to the redundancy coming through, and secondly I will try to treat the contractors and graduates fairly, not like dirt.
    Are there any web sites that describe a "code of conduct" as to how graduates and contractors ought to be treated - I would like to have a read of it if possible.

But nobody got rich without running a tight ship.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by sappatz
    someone had an even smarter idea than you :

get those it graduates in india and let them come in UK (if you need numbers for UK : 70000 work visas), So you pay them even less. from what i have heard, the slaves work for free on week-ends (in business there is a golden rule : there is no free lunch)

this is not a myth : i just met hordes of indians this week. gives a bitter taste of things to come. they are looking after people to manage them.n
    Good Luck hitting the news.

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    indians

someone had an even smarter idea than you :

get those it graduates in india and let them come in UK (if you need numbers for UK : 70000 work visas), So you pay them even less. from what i have heard, the slaves work for free on week-ends (in business there is a golden rule : there is no free lunch)

this is not a myth : i just met hordes of indians this week. gives a bitter taste of things to come. they are looking after people to manage them.n

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Herding a bunch of grads might be more trouble than it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip
    A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.
    So you'll sort of break them in, and then sell them on down the line for a profit. I saw a documentary on that, and it seems the best place to buy and sell is at an auction in a coffee lounge at Heathrow airport.

Leave a comment:

• fzbucks
    replied
    Vetran: I agree with you. These days having a degree is no more than a glorified intelligence test. I'm sure there are many non-graduates who could do this job with their eyes shut. But punched cards even I don't go back that far. Wasn't the Magna carta printed on them? :-)

Clippy: My SQL DBA pimping idea is still on the cards. But the requirement in this thread is a new one. With the latest round of redundancies in my company half the support team has got the willies and up-sticks and left, leaving them rather short staffed. So I said to the soon-to-be-ex-boss that I have a cunning plan to replace them, which is this.

After all most support jobs can be done by monkeys, so perhaps recent graduates might be up to the task?

Sasguru: I could become a pimp I suppose. Trouble is I'd spend too much time sampling the merchandise, so they would never get out and work.

Gonzo: I'm not saying that recent graduates look at Tesco job board for jobs. But if they are looking for work they might be poor (I was) and look at Tesco boards for other things and then see my job.
    Where do graduates who have been on the dole for a few months out of college look where I could advertise?
    Originally posted by Clippy
    I know a lot of 'ex-support monkeys' as you put it who are now Service Delivery Managers/Directors, Infrastructure Consultants etc - everyone has to start somewhere.

If that's how you view potential candidates, perhaps you should stick to what you know - which doesn't seem to be too much!
    I'm a "support monkey" who looks down on "code monkeys" and any other type of monkeys in IT

perhaps there should be a 'What breed of IT monkey are you thread' and we can all slag each others preffered trade off

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    As always good support staff are better than mediocre programmers.

Payback time on a bright graduate to cover support autonomously, in my experience is 6 months, getting them to think like an engineer not a student takes approx 20% of the time in the first 2 months. After that you can let them cope with most end user problems with only occasional guidance. To get a good all round support person takes a couple of years.

Also it all depends how well the organisation is set up, if its a mess as suggested then you will need a good monkey.

Support is fairly low paid so the margins will be low.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyajae
    Oi! Less of it!. You need SysEngs/Admins and tech support staff to keep the kit going that you need for your code to run on.

Are there no code-crunching monkeys? If not, can't understand why Microsoft has to keep releasing Service Packs, patches and the like.

Little less 'professional' arrogance, please
    Programmers are just glorified data entry clerks that write tulip applications and have to get the support people to bail them out when they all go tits up.

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    After all most support jobs can be done by monkeys, so perhaps recent graduates might be up to the task?
    Unlike your fvcking genius self who doesn't have a clue where to begin. Perhaps those monkeys would be better off showing your good organ-grinding self where to begin. Dogfvcker.
    Last edited by Epiphone; 8 June 2007, 14:15.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    A little off topic. But I'm looking for ideas for places where I can find graduates who have a recent IT related degree but no IT experience. I employ them myself for a couple of months for a pittance, then sell them on to a company that is looking for people "with experience" thus making myself a good profit.

I have the client. But I now need the graduates.

Two ideas I have at the moment: The "MCSE boot camp" schools - they are always looking for employers so that they can claim to prospective students that they can get placements into jobs.

Secondly the notice board at the local Tescos. That's where unemployed graduates look.

We were all recent graduates once (well apart from some of you who were hired directly into Logica, McKinsey or a big bank, but I digress) so it is also nice to be able to give folk a bit of a leg up (not to mention a leg over if she is female).

Thanks
    This sound like another example of the abused becoming a serial abuser!

I bet you treat all contractors like dirt as well.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    I was only joking about support professionals being monkeys. Some of the better ones are nearly as good as chimpanzees, or even gorillas.

Oi! Less of it!. You need SysEngs/Admins and tech support staff to keep the kit going that you need for your code to run on.

Are there no code-crunching monkeys? If not, can't understand why Microsoft has to keep releasing Service Packs, patches and the like.

Little less 'professional' arrogance, please

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Vetran: I agree with you. These days having a degree is no more than a glorified intelligence test. I'm sure there are many non-graduates who could do this job with their eyes shut. But punched cards even I don't go back that far. Wasn't the Magna carta printed on them? :-)
    Magna Carta was done on vellum. The hardware is still operational and the data still readable if you have someone who knows the language (which has been more widespread for more years even than COBOL).

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by youngguy
    Reed graduate website
    milkround website
    prospects.ac.uk

As someone else mentioned, accenture, kpmg etc all have stalls at the universities, so hang around uni's where IT degress are done.

I did a sandwich course (2yrs uni, 1 year placement, final year uni) and the entire year (130 people in my course alone, around 600 people across all IT courses) needed a job for 9-12months. Most of these paid about £11-£16k and a lot of these people went back to the same employer when they graduated. SPeak to uni's about this.
    Most Unis have changed their courses so that the placement is optional. Those that get a placement take the year out, those that don't, do a straight three year course.

My neice is currently still looking for her placement year (not it IT) and has now accepted that she isn't going to find one before she has to decide whether to start year 3 or not. I think that she is in a majority in not having a placement.

tim

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy
    He is bit slow on the uptake.

Stick your DB's sonny.
    No I understand that being a pimp means being an agent.

But why not be a real pimp, and sample that merchandise hehe :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X