• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Poll - would you have left Madeline McCann?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    One thing for sure things will have tightened up by the time I get there.
    They would have done regardless of Maddy McCann DA, particularly if you have REC CON down as your profession on your passport. They'll already have had the cutlery chained to the table!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Size Zero, I doubt people would have pilloried you for it.

Forgetting to close the window in the house is a lot different to leaving kids alone in an unlocked and unfamilar place.

I feel unsettled when I stay in a hotel, I'm like a cat on hot bricks when I have the kids with me. So possibly I'm a bit biased.

They were <5 yrs old, if they had an older sister / brother say 12 yrs old with them then I would have trusted them grudgingly to stay home inside 50 feet for an hour max.

Leave a comment:

• SizeZero
    replied
    There was an intruder in my house 2 nights ago at about 2.30 in the morning. My heart almost stopped when my bedroom door opened - luckily it was one of the neighbour's cats who had been playing with my kids that day in the garden. It had got in because I'd not closed my daughter's bedroom window properly. My daughter was fine. If that hadn't been a cat but a person, it could have been a very different story and I'm sure people here (forums or Britain, take your pick) would have strung me up for it. It's a heart-stopper but as a parent you have a hundred of these as they grow up.

The McCanns made an error of judgement that, on any other day, they would have gotten away with.

Would I leave my kids alone? No, because I've never been a parent who puts my own fun before that of my kids: they've been to every pub-restaurant I've ever been to while we've been on holiday. If I had wanted to act like a single or a couple abroad, I'd have delayed having a family. I wouldn't even leave my kids behind with parents or in-laws, I'd feel too guilty that they were missing out. But that is just my opinion and what suits me wouldn't suit all and that's ok.

There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to living your life or raising your family.

Incidently - if Maddie had been taken from a crowded beach, would there still be this guilt cast on her parents?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian
    Mine's 18 months and we've left him in a room on his own (with monitor).

Kids have been snatched from occupied houses before, so in your eyes does that make us bad parents, or must they be tied to our apron strings every minute of every day?

Where is your line drawn for what's acceptable and what's not, given that you don't actually have kids?

Of course not!!!

ffs - leaving your baby sleeping in it's bedroom with a baby monitor = acceptable.
    Leaving it in an apartment, 2 stories up, accross the pool, behind another set of apartments, and into a restaraunt, with no supervision and no monitor = unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Mine's 18 months and we've left him in a room on his own (with monitor).

Kids have been snatched from occupied houses before, so in your eyes does that make us bad parents, or must they be tied to our apron strings every minute of every day?

Where is your line drawn for what's acceptable and what's not, given that you don't actually have kids?

Leave a comment:

• barely_pointless
    replied
    as a parent of a 3 and 4 year old, I never go out of "line of sight" of the exit when we have barbq's at new years etc, but the honest answer in this case is upsetting........ I actually don't know, as a parent I feel so much for the McCann's , But I do know that whilst I may feel relaxed around our domestic situation, I very rarely drop my guard outside of that.

hard one...........

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    5, 7, 11 15
    If they were 2 and 4 would you have left them?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by oxtailsoup
    DA - How old are your kids?

I think much of this is down to age. If your kids are babies then yes I would say you were irresponsible for leaving them in the room whilst you went to the restaurant.
    5, 7, 11 15

Leave a comment:

• oxtailsoup
    replied
    DA - How old are your kids?

I think much of this is down to age. If your kids are babies then yes I would say you were irresponsible for leaving them in the room whilst you went to the restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian
    Voted no, but would have voted yes if there was a baby monitor in the room to hear if the kids woke up.

I do tend to agree with DA though, and have even thought it about the Swiss RE guy who went beserk and killed his daughter - there but for the grace of god, etc etc
    The fact is most kids get hurt by people they know - usually their parents.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Voted no, but would have voted yes if there was a baby monitor in the room to hear if the kids woke up.

I do tend to agree with DA though, and have even thought it about the Swiss RE guy who went beserk and killed his daughter - there but for the grace of god, etc etc

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I've had the debate with my Mrs and I would of been tempted into leaving my 2 year old asleep if it was only 50 yards away, but there is no way my Mrs would of let me do it. So the answer is NO.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    Would you have left Madeline McCann (aged just under 4) and twins aged 2 alone while you went to a restaurant?
    No, absolutely not.
    Can't, for the life of me, understand what they were thinking.

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    Get a baby sitter ffs.. cheapskates.

The other point about leaving your kids is that they can put themselves in danger, particularly a 3 or 4 yr old, e.g. climbing up wardrobes, running themsleves baths, jumping in and out of the bath with wet hands turning on the TV, hair dryer... etc etc. They can also wake up from nightmare or get a fright and if they think they are alone they can freak out.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    So back to the original question - you posted "One thing for sure things will have tightened up by the time I get there." and I replied "you really think so? it was already considered a very very safe place - what more can Mark Warner do?"

Sorry you think people who dont go to restaurants are puritans - are people not capable of enjoying themselves in the holiday villa?
    Mark Warner is not a holiday Villa. you have bedrooms and that is it. If you want to eat or drink you go to the restaurant or to one of the bars.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X