• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Artic in the Lords today"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    I do not believe this. Arctic only gave their evidence yesterday so I od not see how a decision could have been made already.
    Perhaps Gordon has had a word and it's a done deal...

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio
    Incidentally the "journalist" quoted was Nicola Ross-Martin, resident tax expert at Accountingweb and a long time supporter of Arctic. I tend to trust her judgement
    Yeah, "journalist" was obviously the wrong word now you mention it. I could hardly understand a word she was saying.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    Most up-to-date article I can find on Google.

a) No verdict likely for 6-13 weeks.

b) Journalist concludes, "we are quietly confident that it will fall in favour of the taxpayer."
    Word is the result will be announced in between 6 and 13 weeks (there's a summer recess in that time frame) but it will be on a Thursday. Reading the reports from people in the room, it looks good for Arctic but of course nothing is certain; we are talking technical interpretation of the law here, not logic! However nobody thought they saw any indication that the basis of the HMRC's appeal would reverse the previous unanimous verdict.

Incidentally the "journalist" quoted was Nicola Ross-Martin, resident tax expert at Accountingweb and a long time supporter of Arctic. I tend to trust her judgement

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Which paper?
    I do not believe this. Arctic only gave their evidence yesterday so I od not see how a decision could have been made already. Besides neither this site, shout99 or the PCG has reported a result yet.
    I will see if it is still in the bar later....

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Most up-to-date article I can find on Google.

a) No verdict likely for 6-13 weeks.

b) Journalist concludes, "we are quietly confident that it will fall in favour of the taxpayer."

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    To the newspaper? It was on the bar if that helps...
    Which paper?
    I do not believe this. Arctic only gave their evidence yesterday so I od not see how a decision could have been made already. Besides neither this site, shout99 or the PCG has reported a result yet.

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    To the newspaper? It was on the bar if that helps...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by angusglover
    Saw a report in the newspaper last night that said they had lost and HMRC were told to toughen up.....
    Do you have a link?

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    Saw a report in the newspaper last night that said they had lost and HMRC were told to toughen up.....

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    So, does the verdict get announced today?
    It has already taken six years to resolve but a landmark tax case that yesterday began its final three-day hearing in the House of Lords may not be settled for at least another six weeks.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• angusglover
    replied
    They lost didn't they and HMRC were told to get tough on contractors...so we get shafted again.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    So, does the verdict get announced today?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    It is relevent because the IR made it relevent. Part of their case is that they have not changed the way they act and to allow the CoA result to stand would open the floodgates (although interestingly they were quoted as saying in City A.M. that the estimated £1B cost to business was over stated and it would 'only' be £250m).

Apart from the fact there is a little thing called Pepper v Hart. This is a court case which basically allows for the statements of ministers to be used when legislation is uncertain.
    Threaded sums up Pepper and Hart. My understanding is the same. i.e. if you can't actually work out what the legislation means because it is so poorly written and contradictory then will of parliament becomes relevant. But only then.

However I do not believe that S600A is unclear. What is unclear is whether HMRC interpretation of it in this case is consistant with the legislation as written.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    Apart from the fact there is a little thing called Pepper v Hart. This is a court case which basically allows for the statements of ministers to be used when legislation is uncertain.
    I thought Pepper v Hart was to be used when the governments legislation was written in barely legible crayon, and so could only refer to little Johnny's comments when he was crying in the bathroom or having a tantrum in the kitchen. What he was screaming in the garden doesn't count, because Katie was there.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    but I can well imagine that many people would read this story and say, "Get in there HMRC and teach these scamming gits a lesson."
    and I bet its the same people who are stupid enough to vote for who the sun tells them too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X