• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New car vs 2nd hand"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    didn't say tuning a corner did I? ... wan't to overtake or change lanes.... indicate and drop a gear to help you get past....
    Or in the case of said Merc taxi driver: mirror, signal, wash your windscreen.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    You shouldn't be changing gear when turning a corner.
    didn't say tuning a corner did I? ... wan't to overtake or change lanes.... indicate and drop a gear to help you get past....

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by King Cnvt
    Why should I tell you which way I'm going? It's none of your business, peasant.
    Quite right, my liege, quite right.

I just didn't want you to scare my horse, is all.

Leave a comment:

• King Cnvt
    replied
    Why should I tell you which way I'm going? It's none of your business, peasant.

Leave a comment:

• Chugnut
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I bet all the BMW drivers haven't got a clue what this conversation is about.
    I've found that it's definitely Mercedes that has the optional "Indicator Pack".

Needless to say, they don't sell many of 'em...

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I bet all the BMW drivers haven't got a clue what this conversation is about.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    Which side does the Lexus have them on?
    Indicator stalk should (on a right hand drive car) be on the right side of the column - so you can indicate and change gear. With the creeping Euro-isation of cars the norm nowadays is for them to be on the left -'cos manufacturers can't be arsed to do it properly.
    Jap cars being built in a left driving country used to be good for having the indicator on the proper side, but the latest Mitsi I bought has succumbed to a global market and now has indicators on the left.
    You shouldn't be changing gear when turning a corner.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by young veteran
    Get a lexus,

Cheap to pick up, their japanese so dam reliable, all the extras and luxuries you can ask for, and have that aura of elegance about them.

jus dont forget the indicators on the wrong side of the wheel, but she'll cope.
    Which side does the Lexus have them on?
    Indicator stalk should (on a right hand drive car) be on the right side of the column - so you can indicate and change gear. With the creeping Euro-isation of cars the norm nowadays is for them to be on the left -'cos manufacturers can't be arsed to do it properly.
    Jap cars being built in a left driving country used to be good for having the indicator on the proper side, but the latest Mitsi I bought has succumbed to a global market and now has indicators on the left.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Can't critisize that too much, since I've done it myself... my formative driving years all had the indicator stalk on the right, and now it's on the left.

Which is ok until I drive my father's Toyota... then it's a week of total confusion.
    Nah, this was a Mercedes automatic, wherein the windscreen washer button is actually a little pedal where the clutch would be if it were manual...

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied
    if yr putting it through biz, which is gen best for tax ?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I bought a Nissan for £2000, over 10 years old, It had 180,000 km and now has 270,000. It hasn't gone wrong once, just needs parts replacing from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I wouldn't be too sure of that... having followed a lady consistently indicating left when she meant right & vice versa...
    In a similar vein the best one I've seen was a taxi that washed his windows when approaching and setting off from the lights.

threaded in "I actually passed a test to give me a driving license, but where some of these other silly buggers on the road got one is a bit of a mystery" mode

Leave a comment:

• young veteran
    replied
    i tried being optimistic...

Leave a comment:

• young veteran
    replied
    Get a lexus,

Cheap to pick up, their japanese so dam reliable, all the extras and luxuries you can ask for, and have that aura of elegance about them.

jus dont forget the indicators on the wrong side of the wheel, but she'll cope.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    If it's for commuting to clients: Mazda 6 MPS.

If it's for driving about: Lamborghini Gayardo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X