• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview Costs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview Costs"

Collapse

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    If a group of builders come and quote you for some work would you pay their expenses for making the trip?
    If you were a PM looking for an agency to supply people to you, would you pay the expenses of all those who failed to become your supplier?
    If you wanted to buy a new car would you pay for the salesmans time if he did not sell a motor to you?
    No, but they are very much one-2-one relationships.

Here the agency stand to make a good profit, and keep themselves in business if they can place a client - the agency are "speculating" to accumulate.

I guess it's a bit like advertising - a company will pay somebody to leaflet drop whether they get any business out of it or not....

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    what about a bus fare to Cambridge?
    Now I'm a staffer I have to pay!

That reminds me, did you ever pay mileage for the job I did for you in Bracknell or is that why you dragged me out for a pint?

Churchill - In "I'm happy coz it's payday today" mode!
    Last edited by Churchill; 31 May 2007, 10:25.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Flights to Nice, two nights in a hotel, car hire, meals. The lot paid for by the agent - it was 1989 though.

Flights to Munich, car hire, one night in a hotel, meals. The lot paid for by the agent - it was 1999 though.

Flights to Basle, collected by interviewer in private aircraft, flown to Freiburg, interviewed, wined and dined, put up in a hotel all payed for by the client.

So yup, it does and has happened to one's goodself.
    what about a bus fare to Cambridge?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Flights to Nice, two nights in a hotel, car hire, meals. The lot paid for by the agent - it was 1989 though.

Flights to Munich, car hire, one night in a hotel, meals. The lot paid for by the agent - it was 1999 though.

Flights to Basle, collected by interviewer in private aircraft, flown to Freiburg, interviewed, wined and dined, put up in a hotel all payed for by the client.

So yup, it does and has happened to one's goodself.

Leave a comment:

• wizard1974uk
    replied
    I think some of you should open your minds. Ask the agency, the worst thing that can happen is they say no and you have to stump up the money yourself, not the end of the world.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    Has anyone been to an interview where the agency has paid expenses ? reading a couple of these threads especially the one about being on the bench for so long you must surely have to attend a few interviews at your own cost.

would an agent laugh if you said you were going to invoice them for attending an interview (especially if it didn't result in an offer ?)

Your experiences would be greatly accepted
    If a group of builders come and quote you for some work would you pay their expenses for making the trip?
    If you were a PM looking for an agency to supply people to you, would you pay the expenses of all those who failed to become your supplier?
    If you wanted to buy a new car would you pay for the salesmans time if he did not sell a motor to you?

Leave a comment:

• timh
    replied
    I ask for interview/meeting expenses if it turns out to be a total waste of my time - like if I spend the day dragging myself across the country for a role that's "speculative".

(Which has happened four or five times.)

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford
    If you invited a tradesman around to your house to spec and cost some work would you expect an invoice if he didn't win your business?
    THis is a true point. I have never asked for money as if i think it is going to cost to much just attend the interview then i tend not to go for it.

Thought there may be someone out there that tries this maybe the person who also wants to put their sofa through expenses.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Two interviews in Brussels, both times flights were paid for (business class too), lunch expenses and taxis.

Of course that was when agencies gave a fuck.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i had one once where the client insisted on a face to face in another country

I made a gentleman's agreement with the agency that they would pay the flight and if I got the job that would be it and if I didn't I'd pay them half

luckily i got the job

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l
    Has anyone been to an interview where the agency has paid expenses ? reading a couple of these threads especially the one about being on the bench for so long you must surely have to attend a few interviews at your own cost.

would an agent laugh if you said you were going to invoice them for attending an interview (especially if it didn't result in an offer ?)

If you invited a tradesman around to your house to spec and cost some work would you expect an invoice if he didn't win your business?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Don't ask don't get. but I never would.

Paid for return flights, a night's accommodation all out of my own pocket a couple of times,

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Never, although I did once had the BBC re-imburse for a permie position interview many, many moons ago

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    started a topic Interview Costs

Interview Costs

Working...
X