• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Telling client you are off at end of contract"

Collapse

• cykophysh39
    replied
    I leave my CV permanently active on CWjobs, Monster etc.
    Always try to stay active and take calls from pimps.
    Nothing more irritating than sitting on the bench!!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    cheers guys (we need a beer smily), thanks for all the coments

oh and timh

I've not got lists of songs with RUN in the title ruinning through my head AAAArrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh
    What like "Run, rabbit, run, rabbit, run, run, run"?

Oops, sorry, I've probably made it worse now

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Orangutan
    Doesn't help much but I gave my current gig over 6 months notice (ie I'll renew this time, but this is the last one)

I don't look for new work until I've finished a contract.
    1) saves any hassle over terminating a contract (which I personally think is bad form)
    2) saves me from going mad looking at the gigs I could have got if I wasn't currently engaged.

Totaly agree with those who've said "if its at the natural end of the contract anyway then no notice required", but I think thats bad form as well, you should give them as much notice as you can, but if its a case or not renewing you don't have to worry about notice for termination.
    I start looking a couple of weeks before the end of a contract. It seems to take about that time for updated CVs to percolate through to agents' awareness (even if you reply to specific job adverts). God knows why.

Also, even allowing for a lightning-fast turnaround, it'll probably be a week or so between applying, interview, and offer, and most clients can wait up to a week. It's worked for me anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    Mercator-world not boding well for you then?
    mercator is not what i really do , it just happend that the project used it and I did some work with it.

HP Nonstop is my bread and butter

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    A contract that has an expiry date is just that...no notice is required.

I have never yet had a client come to me a month before I'm due to go to confirm that they won't be renewing...its in the contract, why would they?

I'm leaving my current gig after 3 months there because I have secured a much better offer elsewhere...initially we talked about a 6 month contract but they wanted to test me out so we agreed on 3 months (I prefer shorted contracts anyway)...then they came to me a month ago wanting me to extend but I told them I was going elsewhere...they were disappointed but they had their chance to secure my services for longer at the start...

If they hadn't wanted to extend do you think they'd feel guilty?

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Who needs mercator when you have aParse?

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    Just how do they get work permits for these imports? It can’t be on the grounds that local staff are not available as the positions are currently filled.
    These are the illegal practices of these companies. They get personnel on intra company transfers to work on client sites which exempts them from paying Tax and NI's on their salaries.Also they sponsor work permits and place them at various contracts and pocket the moolah.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Mercator-world not boding well for you then?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    feck cykophysh39, your'e just around the corner from here, maybe another reason to move on

only joking

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I suspect they will be temporary permits, but the whole company is going to India and it's a big, un.

Can't wait for the press to attack them when it goes tits up (>48 hours), as it will be very very public then!

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    It's entirely the companies problem, If they have had a contractor as a lynch pin in the project for 4 years , and haven't realised that a contractor could leave at any time. If the companies appraoch is to go the outsourcing route, and have not made any contingency plans about contractor's scarpering, then it's entirely thier fault.

You have no continuing business coming from the company, then I would up and go. Knowledge transfers never go well, as long as there is enough documentation, then it is the outsourcing companies problem to get themselves up to speed, they should have included this in thier price.

Every contract has a notice period either way, and can be terminated at the either parties discretion.

You are entitled to discuss rate increase, surely the rate should have increased over the past few years?

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Just how do they get work permits for these imports? It can’t be on the grounds that local staff are not available as the positions are currently filled.

Anyway why should I care; it doesn’t apply to me anymore and I’m leaving the country.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    I've not got lists of songs with RUN in the title ruinning through my head
    Why not? You should have.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    cheers guys (we need a beer smily), thanks for all the coments

oh and timh

I've not got lists of songs with RUN in the title ruinning through my head AAAArrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Leave a comment:

• Orangutan
    replied
    Doesn't help much but I gave my current gig over 6 months notice (ie I'll renew this time, but this is the last one)

I don't look for new work until I've finished a contract.
    1) saves any hassle over terminating a contract (which I personally think is bad form)
    2) saves me from going mad looking at the gigs I could have got if I wasn't currently engaged.

Totaly agree with those who've said "if its at the natural end of the contract anyway then no notice required", but I think thats bad form as well, you should give them as much notice as you can, but if its a case or not renewing you don't have to worry about notice for termination.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X