• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: It's getting...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It's getting..."

Collapse

• Orangutan
    replied
    My first car was an NSU Prinz (very similar to Hilman imp)
    Same stories, Sandbags in the front to keep the nose on the tarmack.

I changed the engine once - very easy to do, but must have had some bits left over, I was driving along, "lost" 4th gear, carried on, "lost" 3rd", started to get a bit concerned, heard an almighty bang followed my scraping noise, got out to find engine (still running) sitting on the road under the car !

Jacked it up, re-did the bolts and drove home !

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    I remember pushing my mates Imp around the streets of Fulham in the small hours, trying desperately to bump start it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Easy to get the engine out. Undo seven bolts, disconnect electrics and push the car forward. Had to keep a 22kg sand bag under the bonnet to stop the front from blowing in the wind.

PS. "Man in the Suitcase" car.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feature/top+ten/1734/6
    Last edited by Paddy; 24 May 2007, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    had one for a week until the floor collapsed around that damn vertical clutch pedal

classic car !

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I blew my Hillman Imp up on the M5.

I was doing 85mph with 2 mates in it at the time

My 1st car - happy days....

(it was a wonderful metallic sh1t brown colour...)

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    After Jeanette Winterson got rejected from Oxford she drove down there in a Hillman Imp and banged on the senior tutor's door begging them to reconsider. It worked too, the spawny tyke.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy

(P.S. I'm thinking of buying a Hillman Imp - anyone any Imp stories they'd care to share?)
    I knew a chap once who had a 2.8 litre engine in an Imp (for rallying).

He used to challenge boy racers at traffic lights...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy
    I'm thinking of buying a Hillman Imp - anyone any Imp stories they'd care to share?
    I was in one that rolled over at 60mph down the A6 once. That was an Imp estate though. Aluminium head IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    You sir are a class act!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Jeremys been on here to have a look. Don't know if he registered though.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic It's getting...

It's getting...

... more and more like Top Gear on here.

Just waiting for the inevitable first post by Jeremy Clarkson or Richard 'Evil Knieval' Hammond.

(P.S. I'm thinking of buying a Hillman Imp - anyone any Imp stories they'd care to share?)
    Last edited by Clippy; 24 May 2007, 16:00.

Working...
X