• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting and the Way You Were Parented"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    she's dead you poor sod
    I thought she'd been a bit quiet recently.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I'm living with your mum.
    she's dead you poor sod

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    £1k a day minimum
    I take it this is London?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    I was under the impression that the only requirement to being a contractor was that you should still be living with your mum.
    I'm living with your mum.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Text deleted for insecurity reasons.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I was under the impression that the only requirement to being a contractor was that you should still be living with your mum.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Text deleted for security reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Text deleted for security reasons.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by HankWangford
    I know plumbers who earn a fat load more than 200 a day
    They must be ripping off grannies ! Some probably do get away with charging more but the daily rate sub contracting round my way was 200 tops when I last hired one.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall
    The builders who are minted are businessmen who happen to work in the building industry. Plumbers, brickies etc work a lot harder than we do to earn 200 a day, and that is good money. Don't encourage your kids to be builders unless they are obviously not cut out for sitting on your arse work.
    I know plumbers who earn a fat load more than 200 a day

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Chugnut
    When I was growing up the advice was always get into IT or a similar office job, it's a job for life, etc. Don't be a builder or a plumber, that's what the monkey's do.

They seem to have done alright over the last ten years. Most of the builders I know are minted.
    The builders who are minted are businessmen who happen to work in the building industry. Plumbers, brickies etc work a lot harder than we do to earn 200 a day, and that is good money. Don't encourage your kids to be builders unless they are obviously not cut out for sitting on your arse work.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    Why is .net "where it's at"? Is it paying £1k a day now?
    £1k a day minimum

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN
    No idea but it must surely be paying better than that SAP thing. You'd have to be mad to get back into that....

Milan? Anybody?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan
    It's quite worrying just how much you turn into your Dad as you get older.

Growing up to be just like Dad
    death defying times ahead
    Now Dad sits and has every comfort
    and sits with a washable cover

but it worries him that his life has gone by .

Cheerio.

So he says to his son.

I don't want to
    I don't need to
    I've retired you see.

But it worries me
    how can I convey to
    you might turn out to be ,
    possibly....an armchair like me.

Vivian Stanshall

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Zorba
    .net is where it's at nowadays - although I know several people who were pocketing over £1K a day in that field in the late 90's

My parents came to England in the sixties and set up their businesses from nothing. Neither were uni educated - they sent me there though and even though I'm now a contractor who's doing alright for himself, I still feel like I should do more to surpass their efforts (as each generation is 'supposed to' in my family).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X