• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Quiet Questions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quiet Questions"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    I must admit we have never left the kids alone in a strange place without a responsible adult. On holiday they would come with us everywhere.

But people do things differently. I'm amused by the arrogance that we are so much better than the Portuguese police and only our analysts can help.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    "Baby crying in Chalet (whatever number)" would be written on a placard and paraded round a holiday camp nightclub to alert patrons that the child they'd left alone for a couple of hours needed attention.

Leaving kids alone for a couple of hours while checking on them regularly used to be the norm.
    I'd forgotten about that. It was a standard service.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    SallyAnne, you're probably too young to have experienced this but...

"Baby crying in Chalet (whatever number)" would be written on a placard and paraded round a holiday camp nightclub to alert patrons that the child they'd left alone for a couple of hours needed attention.

Leaving kids alone for a couple of hours while checking on them regularly used to be the norm. Arriving back and seeing an empty bed did not.

I hope they find who's responsible.

I also certainly hope that the Portuguese Police are not castigated just because they're not as open as the UK Police are. They've got their own procedures and should be permitted to follow them.
    Whilst I'm flattered that you singled me out there churchy , I said I wasn't going to talk about this anymore.

It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth (and not in a good way)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by BankingContractor
    Sign of the times I'm afraid. We've all become selfish individuals, more concerned with big houses, flash cars and instant gratification, rather than being content with what we have.

Whilst the parents did nothing out of the ordinary in this day and age, I doubt if the same circumstances would have occurred 30 or 40 years ago.

As my grandad was saying only last night, people these days don't know the meaning of personal sacrifice. After he came back from the war, he worked an extra day every week just to help his in-laws - you'd never see people do that that these days. Sad really.
    b*****S, get back t'shoe box in middle o'road

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    SallyAnne, you're probably too young to have experienced this but...

Leaving kids alone for a couple of hours while checking on them regularly used to be the norm. Arriving back and seeing an empty bed did not.

I hope they find who's responsible.

I also certainly hope that the Portuguese Police are not castigated just because they're not as open as the UK Police are. They've got their own procedures and should be permitted to follow them.

Leave a comment:

• BankingContractor
    replied
    Sign of the times I'm afraid. We've all become selfish individuals, more concerned with big houses, flash cars and instant gratification, rather than being content with what we have.

Whilst the parents did nothing out of the ordinary in this day and age, I doubt if the same circumstances would have occurred 30 or 40 years ago.

As my grandad was saying only last night, people these days don't know the meaning of personal sacrifice. After he came back from the war, he worked an extra day every week just to help his in-laws - you'd never see people do that that these days. Sad really.

Leave a comment:

• PrinceNamor
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Yup I agree. There seem to be a lot of people that jump on the band wagon when incidents like this happen. Kids are abducted from parks, shopping centres even from their own beds with their parents sleeping next door. You cannot keep an eye on your kids 100% of the time, what happens when they get older nad want to play outside or in the park, walking home from school etc.
    Yes but you can mitigate the risks putting the welfare of your children above your own pleasure. For ****s sake, they had the choice of a free baby sitter and still locked their own toddlers up in an appartment which was out of sight of the restaurant, no baby monitor to check on them. I've been abroad many times with my toddlers and we either take them to a restaurant with us, where they can fall asleep in a buggy or we eat in, not really much to ask is it? If this had been some council estate single mother she would be villified in the press. You cannot keep on eye on your kids 100% of the time but leaving three toddlers alone in a strange appartment is plain and simply NEGLECT.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Some people would have them reading gay fairy tales while they were out on a cocaine binge.

Are you this annoying in real life? Or do you just put it on for me?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    They were utterly insane to leave her alone...but I guess noone is more aware of that than themselves right now.

If they dont find her, or find her dead, I wouldn't be suprised if one of them killed themselves - thats just too much guilt for any human to cope with.
    Some people would have them reading gay fairy tales while they were out on a cocaine binge.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    So how would you feel if your children were kidnapped from your house whilst you were asleep? or do you sleep in the same room as they do? or do you stay awake all night on guard? These children were in a holiday compound FFs they were not left in an apartment at the other end of town or left at home whilst the parents disappearded on holiday.
    I couldn't describe how I would feel, and I agree with part of what you say.
    Our kids don't sleep in the same room as us, and no I don't stay awake keeping guard, but I have ensured that when I go to bed that I have all bases covered.

Its a terrible thing to have happened, but something that might have been prevented, if all parties went back to the apartment and if mum and dad wanted a drink then lock all doors and retire to the balcony with a bottle of wine.

You need to minise the risk to your kids at all times, and going out for a meal is great, but do it in a different environment

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    Yeah I agree, my daughter is a toddler though and so was the victim of the kidnapping. Once kids are older you can teach them self defense or make sure they are always with a friend and have a mobile phone and rape alarm and pepper spray, gun etc...
    I hire a 24 hour bodyguard (sorry, minder) dont you?

His name is Terry
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 9 May 2007, 13:12.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes
    You are right in saying you can't keep you eye on the kids all the time, but my view was it was a "family" holiday - why not spend it all together, and when the kids get tired and grumpy it is time for everyone to go to the apartment.
    If you want a night out, then do it in the but once you have arranged for the safe care of your children.
    So how would you feel if your children were kidnapped from your house whilst you were asleep? or do you sleep in the same room as they do? or do you stay awake all night on guard? These children were in a holiday compound FFs they were not left in an apartment at the other end of town or left at home whilst the parents disappearded on holiday.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    It's just not realistic mate. All you are doing is ensuring they are safe whilst they are toddlers. As soon as they get to school age and have a modicum of independance then there is little you can to do to protect them from would be abductors. Millie Dowler was taken in broad daylight, 4pm outside a busy train station and she was 15.
    Yeah I agree, my daughter is a toddler though and so was the victim of the kidnapping. Once kids are older you can teach them self defense or make sure they are always with a friend and have a mobile phone and rape alarm and pepper spray, gun etc...
    Last edited by Diestl; 9 May 2007, 12:59.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I pray that the family gets a positive result, but I think the risk they took was unnecessary and a bit selfish.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by XTC
    Yup I agree. There seem to be a lot of people that jump on the band wagon when incidents like this happen. Kids are abducted from parks, shopping centres even from their own beds with their parents sleeping next door. You cannot keep an eye on your kids 100% of the time, what happens when they get older nad want to play outside or in the park, walking home from school etc.
    This is exactly what I thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X