• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Job market...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job market..."

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    embedded C and assembler programming isn't in great demand
    Really? Both still used a good deal in aircraft electronics, Smiths Aerospace etc.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    ok made my mind up, played the three offers against each other, got a 40% rise from the advertised rate, so it looks like I'm going to be back in Banking for a while!!!!

and I have to say, all the agents were very good, no bad reports for any of them.....

Leave a comment:

• Zorba
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Total boredom?

You've never lived until you've sat all alone in a building for 6 weeks doing bugger all. (Summer vacation: academics disappear like greased lightning, the hewers of wood & drawers of water hang about for the entire time).
    Having worked in that sector myself and been in that exact situation, it's amazing what skills you can pick up without any supervision or goals. I ended up figuring out how to lay cat5 and wired up some ports to student rooms.

I also found some real abandoned places. Spooky.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Total boredom?

You've never lived until you've sat all alone in a building for 6 weeks doing bugger all. (Summer vacation: academics disappear like greased lightning, the hewers of wood & drawers of water hang about for the entire time).
    Hmmm, good point.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    I do, however, have the urge to go contracting once again, but embedded C and assembler programming isn't in great demand.
    ...and leave your cushy education job - surely not?!

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    You are quite correct.

18 months.

Then I got a "permie" min wage job fixing fruit machine logic boards for a while.
    Ah, cheers for replying.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    well three job offers now!!! This is where it gets hard to choose which one to go to!!
    KFC, Burger King, or Mac D's?

KFC for me, because I Kan't Fookin Cook!

Note: the Spelling smilie is on holiday for this gag.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    well three job offers now!!! This is where it gets hard to choose which one to go to!!

Ah well done lad!!!!

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Good luck sweetie

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    I sway from thinking i'll be fine something will come up to "Im never going to get a contract again".
    I do too and I suspect we are not the only ones. Not to worry though, something always turns up.

Some of the guys on here have had massive gaps and still found a contract. This is going back several months, maybe years, but I seem to recall ZG posting something about beeing out of contract for months and months.

ZG - am I right??

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    I've only got a week left and nothing concrete yet, so Im starting to get edgy. I sway from thinking i'll be fine something will come up to "Im never going to get a contract again".

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by mictech
    Thank SA, I know somethink will come along.

Hate having to deal with the agent and time wasting, but if you want the money, you have to put up with the sh!t.

I'm not one to sitting around the house, even for a week or two.
    You could try and beat my post count - that should keep you busy for a week or two

Leave a comment:

• mictech
    replied
    Thank SA, I know somethink will come along.

Hate having to deal with the agent and time wasting, but if you want the money, you have to put up with the sh!t.

I'm not one to sitting around the house, even for a week or two.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by mictech
    On the bench for a week myself now, everythings sc/dv cleared work, I wish they would just drop the line "willing to go through clearance" on the adds and just say you must have clearance, would save me loads of waste phone calls.
    Trying to get a company to put me through clearance waiting on call back on interview. since it was yesterday I am assuming didn't get it
    Try and keep your chin up hun - things always work out in the end.

This is the down side to what we do (which is why we are NOT employees!!!! ) - the uncertainty, the "am I ever going to find another gig" panic....you will though. Just keep looking.

Leave a comment:

• mictech
    replied
    On the bench for a week myself now, everythings sc/dv cleared work, I wish they would just drop the line "willing to go through clearance" on the adds and just say you must have clearance, would save me loads of waste phone calls.
    Trying to get a company to put me through clearance waiting on call back on interview. since it was yesterday I am assuming didn't get it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X